• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Help Identify this Spider/Insect

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I found this insect in Georgia that at first resembled what I knew of the brown widow spider. I live a few hundred meters from a park so I see a lot of creatures closeby :smile: I've seen this one before several times so I'm guessing it's pretty common

When I got closer - I realized the front two legs were actually antenna (all black) so it did not have 8 legs or the hourglass marking on the abdomen. It was already dead when I found it so it was immaculately preserved. I didn't keep it to take a picture or this would have been so much easier :doh:

Fascinating creature and quite pretty.

So, description:
1. Six legs with short brown and yellow/white stripes (the coloring on the legs was in segments)
2. Wide, horizontal, brown and yellow/white stripes on the body
3. The body was long and rounded
4. It had a short tail

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I found this insect in Georgia that at first resembled what I knew of the brown widow spider. I live a few hundred meters from a park so I see a lot of creatures closeby :smile: I've seen this one before several times so I'm guessing it's pretty common

When I got closer - I realized the front two legs were actually antenna (all black) so it did not have 8 legs or the hourglass marking on the abdomen. It was already dead when I found it so it was immaculately preserved. I didn't keep it to take a picture or this would have been so much easier :doh:

Fascinating creature and quite pretty.

So, description:
1. Six legs with short brown and yellow/white stripes (the coloring on the legs was in segments)
2. Wide, horizontal, brown and yellow/white stripes on the body
3. The body was long and rounded
4. It had a short tail

Any ideas?

Thanks!

You've found my Mother-in-law, dear.

Please return her to the Chattahoochee Mental Hospital in North Florida. :cheese:

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You've found my Mother-in-law, dear.

Please return her to the Chattahoochee Mental Hospital in North Florida. :cheese:

You so silly Halla! :rofl1:

Finders keepers, my dear. As she was on my property, I will likely keep her in my possession. I may also fight her with a large sword later ;)

*Looks for Halla's wife's info to inform her of the lovely things he's saying about her mother online while simultaneously putting up a poster saying she accepts cash bribes for silence*:devil:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Well it had six legs, therefore it definitely was an insect, not an arachnid.

The short tail description kinda throws me off.

A beetle or a "true bug" of some sort, I'm guessing.

More description of the tail, please.

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Well it had six legs, therefore it definitely was an insect, not an arachnid.

The short tail description kinda throws me off.

A beetle or a "true bug" of some sort, I'm guessing.

More description of the tail, please.

Yes, I realized it was not an arachnid but it was too late for the title of the thread. :d'oh: It doesn't look like a beetle but what is a true bug? The tail had similar stripes as the legs, was a lot shorter than the legs which were bent like a spider's but the tail itself was straight.

I did look into scorpions but no pincers and no wavy tail. The tail was a straight appendage. It was interesting to read about how the front legs were modified into antennae - that was very similar to the creature I saw.

Thanks!

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Sounds like a cricket/beetle...

Was it the Jerusalem Cricket?

JerusalemCricket_2.jpg