• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vacuuming

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This is the sister thread to my dusting thread. :)

Currently my vacuum sucks! (not literally, unfortunately). The suction is terrible. Actually, the suction is good coming from the hose, but it's really bad coming from the part that rolls on the floor, which causes me to have to vacuum the whole floor on my hands and knees using the hose. Vacuum FAIL!

So, I need a new vacuum that has good suction coming from the part that rolls on the floor. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
My henry hoover used to work wonders, until the bags ran out, then I forgot to buy new bags, hoovered without the bags, and ruined the hoover.

I want to try a dyson next.

Carnallace

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sweepers and I don't get along. Seriously.
Their stupid, overly long, yet always too short wires, their obnoxious noise, their big bulky builds, and their unconventional shapes that can't reach anything but the very center of the floor...

Over the years I've had many, many different types of vacuums. All of which have shared equal amounts of my dislike. But finally, I've found my godsend; the Eureka Quick-Up Cordless. It's cordless, it's super lightweight, and is quite sucky. :] The shape is slender and can easily fit into corners. And the battery lasts quite long.
It also does a really nice job with pet hair; better than several vacuums I’ve had that were dedicated to pet hair.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I replaced a vacuum recently. Picked up a DirtDevil Featherlite "Bagged" at Target
for only $44 bucks.

It weights only twelve pounds, and truly sucks! Works noticibly better than the
expensive one I'd replaced.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Bissell Powerforce (not the bagless one). Maybe $45. I've had it for a few years and it's been great. I usually kill vacuums in a year or two but this one has been amazing. No issues at all.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm looking them all up.

Question: Do bagless vacuums not have as good suction as the bag ones?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I'm looking them all up.

Question: Do bagless vacuums not have as good suction as the bag ones?

I'm going to say yes on this. I had a Dirt Devil, rather expensive that was bagless. Aside from being a total pain in the ass mess to empty, I found it did not do a good job, especially when using the hose.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm going to say yes on this. I had a Dirt Devil, rather expensive that was bagless. Aside from being a total pain in the ass mess to empty, I found it did not do a good job, especially when using the hose.

I've also found that to be true. Initially suction is good, but as the Hepa
filter fills with small particles performance decreases...until it's time to
replace the expensive filter.

***Also suggest that people shouldn't use the carpet freshener sprinkle stuff for bagged or bagless vacs. It decreases performance for both types for
the reasons stated above.

It's more difficult to find bagged models now. I definately prefer them, in that
I don't have to deal with a mess or release particles into the air as you do
when going bagless.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My husband got me a Eureka Boss for my birthday this year (at my request- dudes, I don't recommend buying your wife a vacuum for her birthday unless she asks for it) and it has great suction so far. I prefer a bagged vacuum for the same reasons sLiPpY mentioned. I would make an exception for a Dyson, but they are like $400.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My husband got me a Eureka Boss for my birthday this year (at my request- dudes, I don't recommend buying your wife a vacuum for her birthday unless she asks for it) and it has great suction so far. I prefer a bagged vacuum for the same reasons sLiPpY mentioned. I would make an exception for a Dyson, but they are like $400.

Good point, my grandfather made that mistake once...bought her a vacuum for her birthday.

Last time we saw granddad he was fleeing from a broom.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I'm realizing that the whole point of bagless vacuums was to get rid of the headache of having to change a bag.... but with the bagless ones, they've just replaced the headache of changing a bag with the headache of changing a filter.

d@v3

Perfect Gentleman! =D
MBTI Type
ISTJ
So I'm realizing that the whole point of bagless vacuums was to get rid of the headache of having to change a bag.... but with the bagless ones, they've just replaced the headache of changing a bag with the headache of changing a filter.

I agree, and when there is no bag there is ALWAYS that little bit of dust/dirt that escapes whilst changing the filter. :steam: It seems the only solution is to stay with the bags. :sadbanana:

I need to get a vacuum... I have not vacuumed since I moved here in August and even though it does not look too bad, it is bothering my SJ conscience. :doh:

Can you get a Dirt Devil or an Oreck? :)

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree, and when there is no bag there is ALWAYS that little bit of dust/dirt that escapes whilst changing the filter. :steam: It seems the only solution is to stay with the bags. :sadbanana:

I need to get a vacuum... I have not vacuumed since I moved here in August and even though it does not look too bad, it is bothering my SJ conscience. :doh:

Can you get a Dirt Devil or an Oreck? :)

I definitely prefer a small one not the full-sized ones.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I got a Kenmore about 8 years ago that I LOVED. I loaned it to my step-dad and he broke it and never returned it. Now the ones I've seen all require a screwdriver to change the belt. :ranting:

I still haven't found one I like as well.

Sorry. That was a rant rather than a suggestion, but I feel your pain. :cry:

Edit: Do have suggestion, I guess. As a stopgap measure, I purchased a Dirt Devil Express. It is very small and light weight and picks up fairly well. It is bagless, so you have that hassle and it isn't adequate for a large family with extra hairy dogs, but it would probably work okay for a smaller, less doggy household. And it's pretty cheap. Oh, also, it does not have an upholstery tool. :(

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
All rants and suggestions are welcome! Now I don't feel so alone.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, vacuums are unique in that you get frustrated when they DON'T suck enough.

See, a good vacuum sucks, a bad vacuum doesn't suck. Opposite of everything else. ;)

I've heard a LOT of good things about Kirby vacuums. I've seen them, they're very well constructed.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have a nice eureka that i got on clearance for a lot less then it's worth, I now know why the bags are next to impossible to find but it works great and uses bags with hepa filters which is good if you have allergies.