• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Raw Foodism

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Is anyone on this forum a raw foodist? Preferably a raw vegan or vegetarian foodist? I decided to go on a 66% raw food diet for thirty days to figure out what food groups are making me feel sick; it is also for an experiment to see whether or not I feel healthier and more energized. It has been five days and so far I do feel a bit better than I did last week, but it's still too early to tell. Strangely enough—I haven't gone through detoxing yet—which I think is odd... But I am craving greens a lot more than I used to.

Anyone else want to jump on board? :devil:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I always felt that raw foodism was best as a goal, but not something to ever actually achieve 100% consistency in. It's just much easier to get a good variety of food if you also eat things that need to be cooked, unless you have unlimited access to fabulous fresh fruits and vegetables. So 66% seems like a pretty good limit.

Then again, I have pretty lax standards concerning my own eating habits. I'm effectively vegetarian (purely so that I will remember to eat vegetables) but I eat meat every once in a while. Again, sometimes it's the only way to get a good mix of nutrients.

My opinion is that most eating habits need a little flexibility, and raw foodism and veganism (or the two combined) tend to discourage that, which is why I never bought into it (also, I dunno if you've seen the shit they make and try to pass off as real food :laugh:).

Anyway, good luck with your experiment. I hope you can narrow down the foods that are giving you trouble and come up with a good diet that works for you :)

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm a raw foodist that consumes seafood. I don't do it 100%, maybe 85%. I eat normal when I travel outside the country (2+ times a year) too.

Thing is, I don't think everyone's body is setup to be the healthiest on high raw. Nor do I buy everything they espouse. However, everyone can benefit from having more fruits and veggies in their life. Just remember any extremes like veganism, raw foodism, and a completely processed diet aren't always the best way to go for the long term.

I think raw food is perfect for healing periods. Why don't you try green smoothies. Kale, banana, and ice.

LucrativeSid

They say the benefit of the diet is what you don't eat rather than what you do eat, so your experimentation seems like a great idea. You'll probably come up with something good. I've been reading about raw food diets and other kinds of diets a lot for the last year or two. I'm mostly interested in just having more energy. People who eat these strange (or simply less common) diets always talk about how awesome they always feel. I don't think I'd ever follow a strict diet of any kind, though.

I went 100% raw (no meat) for 3 days once. I'm used to consuming salt, caffeine, and sugar so by the third day I couldn't stand it anymore. A slow transition seems smart. There's a lot of changes that I could take on slowly.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They say the benefit of the diet is what you don't eat rather than what you do eat, so your experimentation seems like a great idea.

This.

I'm not a raw foodist, but I have taken elements of it and incorporated it into my diet. Adding green smoothies is one of the smartest things I've done in awhile. I do try to make at least one meal a day purely raw food, often in the form of a green smoothie or salad with beans.

I don't buy alot of the hype with it, though. For one, I've never understood the enzyme argument fully. Enzymes are particular beasts that need very specific environments to be effective. The human stomach is very different from a plant. Also, animals that thrive off of raw food tend to have very large stomachs (or multiple stomachs) with special bacteria to help them break down cellulose.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Adding green smoothies is one of the smartest things I've done in awhile.

I can't stress this enough. The one thing I'd ask all people to do regardless of their diet, is to add green smoothies. They really cut down the cravings, and people get the amount of greens they need in a day. Let's face it, eating a bushel of salad is hard and time consuming to do. Green smoothie is the way to go.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
:D Can I get green smoothie recipes that taste yummy? If it tastes yummy I'll eat it.

...Guess I'm not a raw foodist @-@

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Binary's recommendation of Kale, banana, and ice works well.

Spinach (a handful) and a banana go well together as well. (Bananas seem to go well with greens in general, as long as they aren't too bitter.) You can experiment from there. Try adding pecans, milk, oats, wheat germ, other fruits, or other things depending on how much fat/protein you want in it.

Protip: Make sure you have a good liquid - ice combo. If your fruits are frozen, then add water. If they aren't, use ice cubes.

I'll post in the exercise thread as I try other types.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'd try (another) unprocessed food challenge, but I don't think I'd tolerate a raw food challenge. Cooking, boiling, steaming, etc, introduce variety, and are especially important to prepare meats, which I'm not convinced are healthy to remove from ones diet outright. Reduce yes, eliminate no.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm a raw foodist that consumes seafood. I don't do it 100%, maybe 85%. I eat normal when I travel outside the country (2+ times a year) too.

Thing is, I don't think everyone's body is setup to be the healthiest on high raw. Nor do I buy everything they espouse. However, everyone can benefit from having more fruits and veggies in their life. Just remember any extremes like veganism, raw foodism, and a completely processed diet aren't always the best way to go for the long term.

I think raw food is perfect for healing periods. Why don't you try green smoothies. Kale, banana, and ice.

Actually, I have been drinking green smoothies every morning. They are great since it only takes 5minutes to make and I'm always in a hurry in the morning. I'm pretty much raw until dinner time :D (at dinner time, anything goes... including meat, but I actually eat less ever since I went "raw")

Can I get green smoothie recipes that taste yummy? If it tastes yummy I'll eat it.

Right now I created my own mini recipe~

1 cup of water
2-3 stalks of celery
1 romaine lettuce
2 peaches
1 banana
1/2 (or less) of lemon juice
1/3 cilantro

It's pretty good! Before I used 2 apples, but it turned into apple sauce. I think I'll experiment with spinach when I run out of celery.

lane777

nevermore
I went 100% raw vegan for over 2 months - zero cheating. It felt like death :) A warning: you will be eating food constantly and in much larger proportions since most raw vegans stress that you should not eat too many grains because they're so difficult to digest. This leaves the raw vegan with just fruit, nuts and veggies, which doesn't satisfy for very long. I'm 5 ft 3 and lost 5 lb... and I was only 104 lb. to begin with. But I don't regret it; there were so many convincing arguments for and against raw veganism that it had to try it out for myself.

I'm now approx 50% raw and I'm gaining my weight back. I wouldn't recommend going more than 75% though, if you want to keep a healthy weight on. Experiment with ratios cautiously, gradually ease yourself into it so you don't drop a lot of pounds too quickly.

I have now adopted a Macrobiotic diet, permanently (basically veganism, only I include fish and eggs).

The links below may be of further interest to you...

The Okinawa Diet

The Milk Letter

Mole

Permabanned
Yeah, I eat a varied diet to make sure I get all the nutrients. And I make sure I get my dark green leafy vegetables in green smoothies.

But I do take one supplement. I take three fish oil capsules a day - one 1,000 mgs of cod liver oil capsule for vitamin D, and two fish oil capsules 1,000 mgs each. Making 3,000 mgs of fish oil per day, so I get my fair share of Omega 3s.

Bon appetit.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
you guys eat know peter ragnar? i sort of like him. he basically says you can eat raw and still grow muscles. he looks a bit xstp too me. anyway, i thought for a while that protein is the most essential food, but he convinced me, that protein should come from plants and needs to be mixed with fibers, so the body can even make efficient use of the protein. if the body can use the highest possible ration of the protein, that is inserted, than not a lot of grams of proteins are needed.

i have to disappoint avolkiteshvara. i am really to stupid to eat healthy. and too poor. also, i don't have a kitchen on my own. so i eat mostly nuts, but not only.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
ah, so you were referring to the god of ice bears. or white dogs, they are often called nanook...

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
ah, so you were referring to the god of ice bears. or white dogs, they are often called nanook...

nanook of the north. Eskimo.

Robert J. Flaherty documentary.

Edit:

There was a scene when he gets this walrus, kills it, and just starts slicing meat off and eating it. Pretty bad ass.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
did you know that both ice bears and inuit (eskimo) have ... duh .. what is the word .... their bones are sick, because of eating too much meat/fish. also their livers. its not a problem for bears, they don't get old anyway. i hope i remember correctly. they also have a different digestion.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
did you know that both ice bears and inuit (eskimo) have ... duh .. what is the word .... their bones are sick, because of eating too much meat/fish. also their livers. its not a problem for bears, they don't get old anyway. i hope i remember correctly. they also have a different digestion.

Too much iron?

Are you talking about osteoporosis?