• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Raw Foodism

nanook

a scream in a vortex
yes, osteoporosis, thats the word for the bone thing.
iron is probably also correct (=liver issue)?

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I don't know if you can get osteoporosis from too much meat. this is caused be a lack of calcium.

But yeah, meat has a ton of iron. hard on the liver.

But there are also some essential amino acids in meat that aren't replicated in plants.

I thinks its really about balance.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
bones consist of various minerals, not just calcium, and some argue that osteoporosis (or shall i say bone degeneration, just in case osteoporosis is "defined" as calcium issue) is not usually caused by calcium lack (but lack of the other minerals), especially not in a cheese milk meat society.

still hope to remember where i learned about the ice bear argument... damn i should add more tags to my online bookmarks. maybe it was related to david servan-schreiber

of course its all misinformation. so its easiest to just intoxicate ourselves mindlessly. especially if you are not a walking lexicon of "facts" :D

MBTI Type
INxJ
I'm 5 ft 3 and lost 5 lb... and I was only 104 lb. to begin with. I'm now approx 50% raw and I'm gaining my weight back. I wouldn't recommend going more than 75% though, if you want to keep a healthy weight on. Experiment with ratios cautiously, gradually ease yourself into it so you don't drop a lot of pounds too quickly.

I have now adopted a Macrobiotic diet, permanently (basically veganism, only I include fish and eggs).

I think the people that can actually thrive on raw without meat are very few and far between. You're also a good example of the average person trying to go raw. Most people can't keep their weight on, which is why I mentioned raw couldn't be done in a healthy way for most.

I maintain a normal weight with the inclusion of seafood. It probably has to do with my Japanese genes. I'm lucky to have never become thin on this diet.

But there are also some essential amino acids in meat that aren't replicated in plants.

I thinks its really about balance.

Yes. As a follower of science above all, I can't and won't recommend for people to drop meat completely. There's fortified sources, but it's never as good as nature itself.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
here is a philosophical approach (=intuitive), i did not invent it, but this is how i can understand the world, since i cant rely on facts, since i have no memory for facts.

animal nature is a higher structure that plant nature. the higher the structure of a species, the higher the agency, that protects the uniqueness of the evolutionary branch. (kind of unfinished thought ...)

other idea:

protein should probably be seen as a product, not as source, especially not as a source of "live". eating animal protein is like eating the recycled source. the whole process of assimilating this recycled material is a low energy process, compared to the more difficult process of producing human protein from scratch (=plant).

the idea is, that live is a process, and living in a low energy process is like sitting on a chair all day long. producing human protein from scratch is like gymnastics. live is not taking things in. live is throughput. live is not the source or the product (human protein), its the process in between.

the higher (deeper) the process, the more unique it is, the more it has potential to make us human (=specific, =agent, =individuated).
if we use only a part of our potential, by chosing the easy process if given the choice, we may shrink in our potential, become vampires.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think y'all are selling me on the green smoothie thing. So if I just did spinach and banana, the ice is enough liquid?

Mole

Permabanned
I think y'all are selling me on the green smoothie thing. So if I just did spinach and banana, the ice is enough liquid?

Sure, enough ice will produce enough liquid.

The only thing with ice is that if you are using a super blender like Vitamix or Blendtec, the ice may freeze everything and give you a form of ice-cream. If you want it to remain liquid in a super blender, it may be an idea to add a little water.

However there are so many delicious and nourishing green smoothies, it is only a matter of experimenting to find your favourites.

Bon appetit.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Sure, enough ice will produce enough liquid.

The only thing with ice is that if you are using a super blender like Vitamix or Blendtec, the ice may freeze everything and give you a form of ice-cream. If you want it to remain liquid in a super blender, it may be an idea to add a little water.

Definitely. I use a vitamix myself, that's why I recommended water.

Mole

Permabanned
Thanks! I will try it!

I thought I might add this, Tallulah. A blender like Vitamix or Blendtec is very good. However they are also very expensive. So if you are looking for a good blender that is much less expensive, a good choice is a KitchenAid blender.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, a bit of water helps make the mixing a bit easier as well.

I thought I might add this, Tallulah. A blender like Vitamix or Blendtec is very good. However they are also very expensive. So if you are looking for a good blender that is much less expensive, a good choice is a KitchenAid blender.

Agreed. I have a Vitamix, but mainly because spending ridiculous amounts of money on something helps motivate me to use it, for whatever reason. However, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a KitchenAid blender.

A quality blender will make a difference. With cheaper blenders, you'll have to be careful to add an extra bit of water and reduce the amount of ice and other harder materials, otherwise you'll burn the motor pretty quickly.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Thanks, Victor! I have a nice blender--it's not a KitchenAid, but the quality is equivalent. I do think I will try a bit of water, since I don't want a green popsicle. :smile:

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yea baby I like it RAAAAWWWW! :devil:

[YOUTUBE="4ITLNzPoEqs"]I like it Raw[/YOUTUBE]