• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eat those pumpkins!

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
So, In recent years I have become a big fan of winter squash, those big strange looking gourds that we all know are related to pumpkins, but probably seldom think to eat. It's great stuff, I love squash! So this year, I got to thinking: well gee, it's fall, and those big giant gourds called pumpkins that are always on sale might actually be useful for something more than jackolanturns. So, I did some searching, and apparently you don't really want to eat the decorative pumpkins because they lack flavor and have a smaller amount of watery flesh. Supposedly you want to get the "pie pumpkins". So today I finally found a store selling one of these rather elusive types of pumpkin at $1/lb. I guess that's not too bad of a price compared to a usual winter squash. I'm looking forward to eating pumpkin for the first time :) . Does anyone have any cooking suggestions for pumpkin, recipes and such? I think I'm just gonna bake it in the oven, puree it with some seasonings, and eat it that way.

Nyx

I think you're referring to "neck pumpkins" which are used for cooking.

neck-pumpkins-9-5-08-imga0532.jpg

I am a huge fan of winter (and summer) squash and pumpkins. Eat up! They are very healthful foods that are often neglected in the colder months. They shouldn't be though because it's very good to eat what is in season.

A lot of the recipes I looked up online are bread or pastry based use of pumpkin (pumpkin pie, pumpkin muffins/bread etc).

I usually eat it the away you were going to make it (like pumpkin pie without the crust!) since I am gluten intolerant and cannot eat the recipes calling for wheat or other glutenous grains.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The pie pumpkins are awesome. I bake them all the time when they're in season. What I usually do is cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and strings, and put it open-side-down on a pan covered with tinfoil and cover it with another layer of tinfoil so it kind of steams in its own moisture. Usually 50 minutes to an hour at 350 is enough. Then you can just scoop out the flesh and mash it up with some brown sugar and spices. If you want something pie-like you can add some egg and milk and bake it again. Or add it to muffins and bread.

Butternut squash and acorn squash are also good for mixing in with muffins and bread. And my kids like them re-baked with egg and milk and sugar, just like pumpkin.

Your body must need vitamin A, Risen, with all your recent threads about orange vegetables. :D

LEGERdeMAIN

Butternut squash and acorn squash are also good for mixing in with muffins and bread

I'm not big on sausage, but sausage-stuffed butternut and acorn squash is delicious. I've never had squash muffins, though, sounds like a good idea.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Mmmm, this is a perfect thread. I've been trying out squashes (have made my way through butternut and kalocha), but was wondering about other ways to prepare them. That mashing shounds good.

Hexis

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
pumpkinale.jpg

The only way to have pumpkin...or maybe pie form thats really good too.

Nyx

Fuck, I love pumpkins. I just remembered how much I really really really love pumpkins.

P

Phantonym

Oooh. Pumpkins are great!! Stuffed with all kinds of good nutrients and vitamins. I haven't used them that much, though. I recently discovered that I can use pumpkins for smoothies. Peel the pumpkin, cube it, throw in some apples (not too sweet) and honey, blend it, and you have a delicious smoothie.

I was like, what have you been doing all this time without the pumpkins? :doh:

Nyx

Pumpkin smoothie?! With the advent of the liquid form I can now ingest as many pumpkins as possible!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have NO idea what to do with a pumpkin....

:) clean suggestions only

If you have savoury suggestions (I know you guys in the US have this whole thing about everything being coated in sugar, but it's too much on veggies)