• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Home remedies

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
I have a cold right now and I have so little energy right now that I can hardly think. I hate being sick, but I hate medications almost as much. I'm just so sensitive to medications that the side effects that I get from them are sometimes worse than my sickness!

So, of course I usually go for home remedies. Right now, I'm sipping on some Adagio peppermint tea. Sure, any brand of peppermint tea is soothing, but I've found none more potent than Adagio. The flavor is also better. It actually tastes like fresh mint even though it's dried. Perfect for sore throught and sinus trouble.

Also, I like to make a chicken soup that has a special blend of spices: cinnamon, cloves, cayenne, cumin, fennel seed, coriander seed, and sweet paprika. Not only do these warm and fragrant spices feel good to my sinuses, but they do wonders for my mood. This soup feels like a big, warm, hug!

So, what are your favorite home remedies for whatever ails ya?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Anything around 50% alcoholic. Boil it. Pour into a cup. Drink. It will forever redefine the meaning of "strong" for you, but it will help.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i know some native american home remedies and medicines that my grandmother taught me. when i was a kid she would give me mint tea for a stomach ache, or have me chew mint leaves. also she would grind up mint leaves (with something else, i think) and put it on our skin for itchiness.
she liked to make tea from blackberry roots, for stress and for some colds and sicknesses.

i will have to think about it and remember some. i know i wrote down a bunch of her home remedies once. she made a lot of teas and made a lot of medicines from tree barks. so many tree barks! all of her medicines were from roots, trees, and plants.

haha, my grandfather (her husband) was all about hot alcohol. boiling hot whiskey! that was his cure for everything.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
^
Oh neat! If you can remember some of those Native American remedies, then please, do post them!

Anything around 50% alcoholic. Boil it. Pour into a cup. Drink. It will forever redefine the meaning of "strong" for you, but it will help.

Ah, yes, alcohol. That's how I'm able to get to sleep when I feel like this, but I want to stay more alert and functional during the day so peppermint tea will have to do. Chewing on crystalized ginger also helps clear my sinuses.
Good for the tummy too!
I've never actually tried boiling wisky though. Might give that a try.Thanks.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The old towel over the head and a hot bowl of very, very strong mint stuff usually helps though it did lead to an argument on year. Apparently people don't like the whole house to smell of mint. How odd. I love it... and at that time couldn't actually notice...

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
you do realize boiling alcohol gets rid of the alcohol content? if you heat alcohol past boiling point it evaporates thus lowing the content?

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
ginger, lemon, garlic, cayenne pepper tea will clear you out good for sinus stuff.

Apple Cider vinegar is nasty stuff. But if you can learn to stomach it, its helped with asthma related problems.

mockingbird

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
you do realize boiling alcohol gets rid of the alcohol content? if you heat alcohol past boiling point it evaporates thus lowing the content?

It would only get rid of the alcohol content if you went beyond just bringing it to a boil and kept boiling it down. It would be reduced a bit I'm sure but most of it would remain, all of it if you kept the pot covered. But I'm trying it tonight, so I will find out for sure soon enough.