• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Cast iron chicken breast with farfalle pasta (my favorite because it's fun) in a lemony butter sauce with honey goat cheese and chives, and a side of caramelized foraged honey mushrooms.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Cookies,
we used to serve these in my restaurant sold out every day people would call them crack cookies . I have had so many people ask me for the recipe lol 😂 but I don't want them replicated here (small island)
here's the recipe

Makes about 28 cookies
[h=3]INGREDIENTS[/h]
  • 1 cup | 225 g unsalted butter, chopped
  • 3 1/4 cups | 415 g all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons medium-grained kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 cups | 320 g packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup | 100 g granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 12 ounces | 340 g semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
  • Flaky sea salt, for sprinkling (optional)
[h=3]METHOD[/h]Preheat an oven to 360°F | 180°C. Line two baking sheets or sheet pans with parchment paper.
In a medium saucepan over the lowest heat possible, melt the butter. There should be no sizzle, crackling or pops; let the butter ooze into liquid, without boiling, so minimal moisture is lost. Stir regularly, until the butter is almost completely melted. (This is a good time to chop the chocolate.)
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Pour melted butter into a large bowl, and then whisk in the sugars. The mixture may look to seize, but will relax with a few seconds of stirring. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking briskly after each addition, but only to combine. Stir in the vanilla. Use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to stir in the dry ingredients. Once mostly blended, fold the chocolate into the dough until the remaining flour is incorporated and the dough no longer looks dusty. Bring any stray ingredients up from the bottom of the bowl. Do not over mix.
Using two spoons or a #20 disher, drop 3 tablespoon-sized balls of dough onto prepared pans, leaving 3 inches in between. Sprinkle with sea salt, if using. Bake in the hot oven until the tops are cracked and lightly golden, yet still soft at the center, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pan halfway through cooking. Leave the cookies on the sheet pan for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Continue shaping and baking cookies with the remaining dough, making sure to use a cold sheet pan for each batch.
Cookies can be kept at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Pinker85

QXhlTQB.jpg

Green smoothie: watermelon, pineapple, spinach, orange juice, almond milk, chlorophyll. Make a big container in the morning, store in fridge and drink throughout day. Try to eat off the rainbow, red, yellow, green, orange, beige/brown.

Also made a roasted chicken with carrots, the carrots were starting to go so needed to use up, turned out very tasty as they absorbed the chicken schmutz and became very sweet from roasting. Cook my chicken at 425, cover in olive oil and salt and pepper, throw a couple of crushed garlic cloves (and quartered lemon if have it) and bake. Not sure on bake times, go off how plump it looks and the color of the chicken, but definitely think adding vegetables requires cooking for longer. You might even want to take the vegetables out of the pan prior to finishing cooking the chicken so they cook to a nice texture. Boiled up some Okinawan sweet potatoes and sauteed some green beans with garlic.

Stokes_Oki_Ube_Group-1.jpg

When cooked Okinawan sweet potatoes have a super deep purple color, very dense texture, much denser than a typical orange sweet potato, and sweet potato flavor with hints of pumpkin. It's almost a delicate sweetness and flavor, to me it's a more delicate and reserved flavor than most other sweet potatoes while having this beautiful purple color. It sort of reminds me of this block print in terms of flavor, plus the purple haha. My favorite way to appreciate this vegetable is by boiling, steaming or baking in the skin for all methods. By cooking whole it retains the color and seems to become denser which is part of the texture I enjoy.

31f07106ca15ce34e22a9e9605433693.jpg

It also has more antioxidants than many other vegetables, in particular anthocyanin which is found in blueberries and purple cabbage. Not sure how potent they are but like that it has a lot of health benefits supposedly. Plus a 1 cup serving has 500% of RDA for vitamin A.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I made Abcdenfp's cookies, but I cut the recipe in half. I ended up with 6 huge cookies (4.5 inch diameter) because I used tennis ball sized portions. :D They're very sweet but also delicious - chewy with some crispiness around the edges. It's the classic chocolate chip flavor. Thanks.

They'd probably be even better had I not squished them before baking. Go with the ball-shaped dough on the cookie sheet.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm making spaghetti Alfredo with sauce jazzed up with extra shrimp and mushrooms. I'll put some carrots on the side.
:)

Morpeko

Noble Wolf
MBTI Type
LEFV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
image0.jpg

Made some beef bulgogi with mushrooms, zucchini, and carrots.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Been having fun with iced coffee. Today I made one with almond flavor and brown sugar, for next time I'm feeling a peppermint mocha sort of deal.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Breakfast: strawberry-banana smoothie in my Vitamix-

1oz water
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3/4 cup Dannon Oikos Triple Zero strawberry Greek yogurt
1/2 of a frozen, slightly overripe banana
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1 cup frozen strawberries

Dinner: Frozen turkey meatballs (recipe here: Turkey Meatball Recipe | Culinary Hill ) in the crockpot, with a can of Delmonte green pepper mushroom tomato sauce & fresh chopped kale, with a small portion of whole wheat angel hair pasta, & 2 tbsp shredded nonfat mozzarella sprinkled & melted on top.

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Eggplant parmesan, yesterday. Today I just microwaved leftovers. :banana:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Substituted coconut oil in place of butter in my whole wheat dark chocolate chip cookies. Good decision.

Ingredients:

- 3/4 cup coconut oil, room temp (thick, not melted)
- 1/2 cup Splenda (or white sugar, but I used generic splenda)
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 & 3/4 cups King Arthur All-Purpose White Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (I like Ghiradelli 70%)

Directions:

- Preheat oven to 375F.

- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients, excluding the baking soda, flour, cinnamon, & chocolate chips.

- In a medium bowl, combine the soda, flour, & cinnamon, then dump into the bowl of wet ingredients & mix well. If mixture is too loose or crumbly, add milk or almond milk by the tablespoon just until the dough is cohesive without being watery or sticky.

- Fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula

- Using a measuring spoon, drop by rounded tablespoon onto a large ungreased metal cookie sheet (ideally, lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat). Press the dough down in the center so it's no longer dome-shaped. This will help it spread properly in the oven.

- Bake approx 8-10minutes. Remove from pan immediately & cool for 5-10minutes on a wire rack before serving. Store in an airtight container once completely cooled.

Makes 3-4 dozen cookies.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Spaghetti bolognese with expired meat. It's only one day past the expiration date but... one side of the internet is like; ThRoW iT AwaY ImmEdIaTeLy!!! Then put the trashcan on fire!! Leave the house! WATCH OUT FOR THE DANGEROUS B A C T E R I A!!!
There apparently is a mysterious bacteria in the meat that could make people sick. But other side of the internet says you can kill the mysterious bacteria with heat. So I asked this question on another forum and the people were like "yeah don't worry as long as it still looks and smells good, you can use it". (Me; does not know what good minced meat is supposed to smell like)
Since I (try to) live by a 'zero waste' policy (especially when it comes to meat) I decided to take the risk.

If I happen to pass away; tell my father I paid for my mistakes.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Spaghetti bolognese with expired meat. It's only one day past the expiration date but... one side of the internet is like; ThRoW iT AwaY ImmEdIaTeLy!!! Then put the trashcan on fire!! Leave the house! WATCH OUT FOR THE DANGEROUS B A C T E R I A!!!
There apparently is a mysterious bacteria in the meat that could make people sick. But other side of the internet says you can kill the mysterious bacteria with heat. So I asked this question on another forum and the people were like "yeah don't worry as long as it still looks and smells good, you can use it". (Me; does not know what good minced meat is supposed to smell like)
Since I (try to) live by a 'zero waste' policy (especially when it comes to meat) I decided to take the risk.

If I happen to pass away; tell my father I paid for my mistakes.

I do this all the time. With lots of food stuffs. Bad meat smells kinda rancid or sour. It's pretty unpleasant, and if it's borderline, I toss it.

One day past is usually fine, especially if the package was completely unopened until that point.

Pinker85

n9Pv5rJ.jpg

dEyMsAX.jpg

Continuing on trying to heal gut. Had more chicken breast, a red cabbage and green apple salad with curry powder dressing and turmeric sauerkraut.

Green smoothie made of apple, banana, peaches, spinach and liq chlorophyll and magnesium powder.

Cutting all soy out of diet. Woke up today feeling joints were swollen and body achey after miso soup with lots of tofu yesterday evening. Felt super mentally unwell yesterday night and couldn't sleep. Clearly a very bad response to soy.

As of right now diet is soy, grain, gluten, dairy free, mostly nut and legume free with no processed foods minimizing saturated fats. I'm switching beauty products to natural things like almond powder and turmeric to cleanse skin with plant oils for moisturizer. Have been supplementing with a prebiotic and probiotic powder. I'm feeling better and better, the soy yesterday was a clear going from feeling good to feeling horrible that I think soy does not work for me.

Pinker85

MNdZEO2.jpg

3cegyig.jpg

Really liking okra. I remembered not liking it due to the texture which I remembered as slimy. Granted most of my experience with okra has been in stews which seems to bring out the slimy texture quite a bit. Stirfried it with onions, tomatoes, garlic and really liked the flavor and texture. Super tasty. Okra is good for helping regulate blood sugar and is a good prebiotic. Had turmeric sauerkraut and chicken breast with it.

Made a smoothie with peaches, spinach, green apple, bananas, strawberries, fresh parsley and magnesium powder and liquid chlorophyll.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Just got around to uploading these)

Not today, but on 4th of July, I'd had my grandmother over for belated Easter dinner (I'm not religious, it's just a family bs thing. It's just the two of us). *we were safe, no one else was here/neither of us go anywhere, & I sanitized the hell outta the condo before she arrived*

Don't have photos of the dinner. I roasted a 2.5lb butterflied lamb leg, with salt, paprika, basil, & a little garlic pepper rubbed in, topped w/dijon mustard. It had been in the freezer since March, but you couldn't tell. Took about 2hrs to bake.

Sides included
- chopped red potatoes, baked around the lamb, coated in avocado oil for crispness, topped w/salt, paprika & chives.

- steamed (still crisp) whole green beans

For dessert, I made cheesecake from scratch the night before (no corners cut or calorie cutting substitutions on the cake itself). Crust was made with pastry flour, butter, & vanilla (what I had onhand). Topped with some (canned) blueberry pie filling, & some maraschino cherries hanging out in my fridge w/nothing to do:

D33PKgT.jpg

Sides stuck to the spring form pan, but it still tasted good. I'm not much of a cheesecake person, but people in my life are. They like it. /shrug

IrAaJ8L.jpg

lec0M6I.jpg

Same recipe as the one I did last year.

I'd had some of that blueberry pie filling leftover, so I tried out making some DIY blueberry Pop-Tarts a few days later. Just used Bob's Red Mill White Whole Wheat Pastry Flour & shortening for the crusts, & some leftover, unopened/unexpired royal icing & sprinkles from a gingerbread house kit.

mBGzIFU.jpg

^they tasted ok, bit too sweet. The crumbly crust was annoying to work with. Don't think I'd bother making again. I still have several wrapped up in the freezer.

Week or so ago, I baked a white whole wheat loaf of banana bread to take to my grandmother (w/cinnamon crumble topping). Baked a 2nd loaf for roommate & her kid upon request. I have a freezer door of overripe bananas my grandmother keeps giving me [when I check on her once a week].

DmwsdQL.jpg

I'd have to look up the measurements, but it's just made w/2.5-3 mashed bananas, 1 tbsp splenda, some cinnamon, baking soda, an egg, King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour (all-purpose), vanilla & canola oil. With a little dark brown sugar/cinnamon blend crumbled on top.