• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

rav3n

Dinner was full on nuts with tiny bits of leftovers. It was a tiny bit of beef congie with enokis, bean sprouts and cilantro, cabbage rolls and arroz con pollo. Flavors were bat shit crazy together. For some reason, H loved the crazy combination. Classic INTP.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That sounds risky, like a waste of time + more dishes. You say thorough cooking, does that mean you eat your steak well done? Because medium/rare steak is never thoroughly cooked, right..? (I don't know anything about cooking, okay...)

I like it medium rare. Some of the tastiest dishes are cooked over insane periods of time. I've worked in the kitchen before and assisted with making foods that had 2-4 hours of prep, and the longest was a long preparation that had to be left overnight, then cooked. (And yes, I've watched Charlotte's Web)

(you'd think that stereotypically, ES-Ps would be the most alcohol tolerant)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fermented..................... bread.

It smells..... 100% like vinegar and alcohol.

As in, if you had blindfolded me and had me smell it, I'd guess that it was completely, 100% vinegar and alcohol, nothing else.

If I die, the yeast took me.

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Chocolate macaroons with raspberry cream cheese filling!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fermented..................... bread.

It smells..... 100% like vinegar and alcohol.

As in, if you had blindfolded me and had me smell it, I'd guess that it was completely, 100% vinegar and alcohol, nothing else.
So, I guess the question is: if you eat a bunch of it, will you be sick, drunk, or both?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m craving some kind of garbage Chinese food, which I usually only get on New Years Eve. I won’t be buying takeout for a long time due to the pandemic, though.

I want shrimp fried rice, dammit! :ng_mad:

Since that’s not possible, I’m gonna just attempt a substitute w/what I have at home.

Thawing some frozen cooked shrimp right now. I’ll throw that on a skillet w/avocado oil, brown rice, ‘Peking stir fry’ frozen mixed veggies, some soy sauce, teriyaki seasoning... & hope for the best. . .

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
hum,

I made cabbage stew(slow cooked) with chicken.
For the chicken I used some mayo, lemon, butter, pepper, salt, spices - let it soak the flavors for a while then fried it with freshly cut onions and a little butter. Then added it to the cabbage after boiling the cabbage for about 1 hour (no lid). Boiled the whole thing at slightly lower heat for another 45 min then put on low for another 3 with the lid on once it had reduced enough , adding a little bit of water from time to time so it doesnt burn.

A salad with
red cabbage, avocado, egg, butter lettuce, air fried french poloni and same chicken i made for the cabbage stew and a ready dressing i really like. Also some thin slices of parmagiano, oh and I air fried some bread with a little bit herbs and olive oil to add some crunchy bits.

Calamari rings
Let it soak up some flavors in a bowl of hum, some cayenne and paprika, olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a few other things.
Dry then Fry it with a little bit of butter and olive oil

Probably forgot a few things but that's more or less how my culinary experiment went.
Liked everything. I think i ll try to deep fry the calamari next time - less healthy though.

The extent of my culinary experience is 'put food in microwave, eat food' (who am I kidding, i'd eat it cold) or order in so I'm pretty damn proud of myself so far. :unsure:

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hum,

I made cabbage stew(slow cooked) with chicken.
For the chicken I used some mayo, lemon, butter, pepper, salt, spices - let it soak the flavors for a while then fried it with freshly cut onions and a little butter. Then added it to the cabbage after boiling the cabbage for about 1 hour (no lid). Boiled the whole thing at slightly lower heat for another 45 min then put on low for another 3 with the lid on once it had reduced enough , adding a little bit of water from time to time so it doesnt burn.

A salad with
red cabbage, avocado, egg, butter lettuce, air fried french poloni and same chicken i made for the cabbage stew and a ready dressing i really like. Also some thin slices of parmagiano, oh and I air fried some bread with a little bit herbs and olive oil to add some crunchy bits.

Calamari rings
Let it soak up some flavors in a bowl of hum, some cayenne and paprika, olive oil, sea salt, freshly ground pepper and a few other things.
Dry then Fry it with a little bit of butter and olive oil

Probably forgot a few things but that's more or less how my culinary experiment went.
Liked everything. I think i ll try to deep fry the calamari next time - less healthy though.

The extent of my culinary experience is 'put food in microwave, eat food' (who am I kidding, i'd eat it cold) or order in so I'm pretty damn proud of myself so far. :unsure:

Those calamari rings sound really good. Man, I miss fresh seafood.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I’m proofing some yeast to make pizza at quarter to one in the morning. Secret pizza. Fortunately the AC in roommate’s kid’s room is loud enough to mask the Swedish Chef Muppetry level noise & mess I’m making.

I have:

a can of supermarket brand ‘pizza sauce’
1 bag shredded mozzarella
1 fresh jalapeño pepper
1 bag of turkey pepperoni that smells terrible
Yeast
Salt
Sugar
Water
Avocado oil
Dry basil
Cornstarch
& King Arthur white whole wheat flour

..wish me luck.

rav3n

Open faced roast beef sammiches (left over roast beef and gravy from last night) with side salads. Nothing spectacular but it hit the spot.

Pinker85

ARTMamU.jpg

Laotian larb salad used this recipe with bison meat: https://www.internationalcuisine.com/laotian-laab/

Used ginger instead galangal as that is what I had, omitted thai bird chilis using Thai/Laos powdered chili, used two largish limes, also only had cilantro and not culantro as well, think flavor would be better with culantro.

Super good, tastes like what I'd get at a Thai restaurant except more lime flavor due to tweaks.

Have loads of thai basil left so might make a yellow curry tomorrow.

The key to the larb having that authentic flavor, I think, is the roasted rice powder and dried red chili powder. It has a distinct aroma that I think is only possible through roasted rice powder. When I was in Laos one of the dishes I always ordered was larb with sticky rice. Typically they served a mixture of innards like tripe with the meat in the salad all chopped up very finely, with raw cabbage and green beans as accompaniment. The grassiness of tripe/innards pairs well with the lime and roasted rice powder flavor, with the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, and herbs it's a very unique and pungent dish. The typical Laotian way from my experience to eat is to use the main dish or meat dish as more an accompaniment to rice, where the flavorings are more pronounced so less of the main dish is eaten. What might be a serving size in the US for protein would be enough for 3 in SE Asia with the flavorings they use.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The first time I tried one was in CT during lobster season. It was literally fresh off the dock. Thought I was in heaven! :wubbie:

That sounds really nice, the lobster I got wasn't off the dock or anything but I'm from Maine so I got the good stuff. This one has some garlic and some dill in there. :blush: