• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

S

sammy

OMG it's Phil O'Nightmare, my favorite Scottish goth! :D

I may make that pasta tonight. I think I have everything here that I would need, except for the sauce.
Haha, I love the Scots, so not bad ;)

Did you ever get a chance to make this pasta or intend to still? I'm wondering if my directions/ingredients work for others as well as they did for myself. I'm trying a modification of the ingredients tonight with a ravioli instead of bowtie pasta.
That pasta sounds delicious! And there are just enough vegetables to make you think you're eating something healthy despite all the Alfredo sauce :)
Thanks! :) *whispers* My parents have high blood pressure, so I have to make it even healthier :/

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Haha, I love the Scots, so not bad ;)

Did you ever get a chance to make this pasta or intend to still? I'm wondering if my directions/ingredients work for others as well as they did for myself. I'm trying a modification of the ingredients tonight with a ravioli instead of bowtie pasta.

Thanks! :) *whispers* My parents have high blood pressure, so I have to make it even healthier :/

I didn't end up making it yet, because I looked at the alfredo sauce at the store and it's way fatty. I didn't have enough Weight Watchers points left to do it that day. :cry: I did buy a jar though so I can make it sometime when I have plenty of points left. I'll let you know how it goes!

S

sammy

I didn't end up making it yet, because I looked at the alfredo sauce at the store and it's way fatty. I didn't have enough Weight Watchers points left to do it that day. :cry: I did buy a jar though so I can make it sometime when I have plenty of points left. I'll let you know how it goes!
Ah, don't worry, I won't be making it with that alfredo sauce for sometime either... I was lectured by my Mom on how unhealthy it was, so I need to figure out some kind of substitute for the fattyness of it but keeping it creamy and spicy. I noticed you like Indian food, I should ask my Mom for some Pakistani recipes to put up on here :) (trust me, the flavor in the food for the two countries is different!)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'll be your forever friend if you do!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My stomach is an excellent judge of character. :)

I'm not at all surprised that the flavors are different btw- as I understand it, even Indian food varies from region to region. What we get in the States is specific to the Northern states. My sister's fiancee is from Tamil Nadu in the Southeast, and he tells me that the cuisine there is very different from the Indian food we're familiar with. I'm eager to try South Indian food, and any other kind of regional cuisine we can't get easily here.

S

sammy

My stomach is an excellent judge of character. :)

I'm not at all surprised that the flavors are different btw- as I understand it, even Indian food varies from region to region. What we get in the States is specific to the Northern states. My sister's fiancee is from Tamil Nadu in the Southeast, and he tells me that the cuisine there is very different from the Indian food we're familiar with. I'm eager to try South Indian food, and any other kind of regional cuisine we can't get easily here.
I've noticed that my family's recipes resemble Arabic/Persian foods to some degree in texture and flavor, so there is some cross-hybridization of cultural influences in Pakistani food that you can't get with the typical Indian food offered in restaurants worldwide. Btw, the Arabic influence is something I've noted in a lot of my Pakistani friends' foods as well, not just in my family's. I'm going to start going on a tangent about the history of the Indus-River Valley, so I'll stop here :)

And yes, Tamil food from South India is distinctly different from other Indian food --especially from the Punjab region in the north. Sometimes, it's a simple matter of adding more of one spice than another, or the total omission of one. Food is fascinating!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Ah, don't worry, I won't be making it with that alfredo sauce for sometime either... I was lectured by my Mom on how unhealthy it was, so I need to figure out some kind of substitute for the fattyness of it but keeping it creamy and spicy. I noticed you like Indian food, I should ask my Mom for some Pakistani recipes to put up on here :) (trust me, the flavor in the food for the two countries is different!)

It certainly is... and then British indian/pakistani is different again!

I'd go Indian for the tandoori, Pakistani for a vindaloo.. bangladeshi for fish, and a good british balti for sauce!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Supposedly in May when my sister gets married, her husband-to-be has asked his mother to make her famous fish biryani for dinner after the wedding (which will be only immediate family, so she won't be cooking for 200). :drool:

S

sammy

It certainly is... and then British indian/pakistani is different again!

I'd go Indian for the tandoori, Pakistani for a vindaloo.. bangladeshi for fish, and a good british balti for sauce!
While I was in England, I made sure to try the Indian food... it was a heck of a lot better than the Indian food in America! I think the restaurant owners in this country could learn a thing or two from their cousins overseas.

Wait, I think it would be the other way around... Tandoori for Pakistanis and Vindaloo for Indians. Haha about Bangladeshi for fish, sorry, it's just that the stereotype really fits :huh: and my Bangladeshi friends would never refute it either even though it's taken as an insult by some.

What is this British Balti?

S

sammy

Supposedly in May when my sister gets married, her husband-to-be has asked his mother to make her famous fish biryani for dinner after the wedding (which will be only immediate family, so she won't be cooking for 200). :drool:
Sorry for the double-posting, but I just saw this...

That sounds really delicious, Ivy! And it's wayyyyy better to eat food cooked for a smaller audience. As cheesy as this sounds, I think that a mother's love (and her attention to the flavors) spreads throughout the dish more evenly this way ;)

MBTI Type
INTJ

Hmmm. Maybe a yogurt based sauce instead of a cream based one? That would mesh with Indian cuisine. Another idea would be a tomato cream sauce. You'd be keeping the cream, but you'd be eliminating the cheese. Although in truth, parmigana-reggiano is among the lowest fat cheeses. But still.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
While I was in England, I made sure to try the Indian food... it was a heck of a lot better than the Indian food in America! I think the restaurant owners in this country could learn a thing or two from their cousins overseas.

Wait, I think it would be the other way around... Tandoori for Pakistanis and Vindaloo for Indians. Haha about Bangladeshi for fish, sorry, it's just that the stereotype really fits :huh: and my Bangladeshi friends would never refute it either even though it's taken as an insult by some.

What is this British Balti?

I've always preferred a Pakistani style vindaloo when I've noticeably had a choice! But I'll bow to your wisdom. I wasn't stereotyping Bangladeshis. We have a Bangladeshi restaurant locally and their fish is just exquisite :)

You've been to England, you've had Baltis and Tikka Masallas, right? You know they originate here, right? I made a Birmingham (England, not Alabama!) Prawn Balti last week, it was most delicious (can't remember if I posted the recipe or not...)

-Geoff

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Paprikas

Paprikas is essentially an onion based stew. My German grand-mother learned this from her Hungarian father-in-law long ago...so it's comfort food for me. A great aunt told me that Grandma took out a lot of the strong flavors of garlic and peppers so I have been reverse engineering it for awhile...this is my latest version and I learned by watching and doing, not measuring exactly,so you may have to improvise amounts to taste.....

Oil or fat to brown chicken
Three good size yellow onions chopped coarse
Hot peppers of your choice (I like 3-5 anaheims or banana or a mix)
3+ garlic cloves (I like a lot.....)
(Optional: Fresh Tomato when in season, to taste)
One 3-4 lb. chicken, disjointed and lightly floured
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Best Quality Paprika (Californian, from Penzy's spices. on-line)
Sour cream or yogurt
White wine or chicken stock

In wide, deep stew pot on the stove-top heat oil over medium-high heat sufficient to brown the floured chicken nicely, without burning. When chicken has browned remove to side.

Add coarse chopped onions to stew pot and stir thoroughly to coat with oils and rendered chicken fats. Cover and reduce heat to let onions soften and brown about 20 minutes stirring occasionally. .

Then add garlic, chopped peppers and reserved chicken pieces to pot.

Sprinkle in about a tablespoon of paprika and add fresh ground pepper and a bit of sea-salt.

Add wine or stock...or both. About 1-2 cups depending on the pot bring heat up to soft boil.

Reduce heat, Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes. The chicken should cook down soft.

Remove cooked chicken to platter. To remaining stew add 1/2-1 cup sour cream or yogurt to taste. I sometimes add a fresh spritz of lemon here. Stir it all in and bring it back up to heat adding salt and pepper to taste.

I serve the chicken and sauce seperately though it is usually served together in a large bowl. The chicken is served "bone-in" on top of a bed of your favourite starchy item (rice, spaetzle, dumplings...or see below) You can sprinkle a bit of paprika on top....

My current favorite starchy item....

Squash dumplings

One baked acorn (or your favourite) squash
Semolina flour
Eggs
Herbs if you like or a bit of fresh ground nutmeg.
A good sized pot, 4/5 full of boiling water, salted.

Scrape baked squash into bowl along with three eggs and add enough flour to mix it all into a semi-stiff batter. I will sometimes add some sage or thyme if available.

You will probably cook in batches...don't crowd the pot. Drop by teaspoonful into boiling water...they fall to the bottom of the pot...and then after a few minutes they will float up to top. I stir them around a bit and then remove them to a colander. Drain and serve.

A cucumber salad is good with this, something a bit vinegary...

Last edited:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Our pal Shimpei from Hungary has posted pics of her chicken paprikash and it looked fantastic. I'll definitely be trying that one, Hirsch.

The squash dumplings are strangely alluring to me. I love squash. I have a recipe of butternut squash-based baked mac & cheese I'll be trying soon- if it's good I'll post it here.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
* 2 sprays cooking spray
* 20 oz Butternut squash, fresh, peeled and cubed*
* 1/8 tsp table salt, for cooking pasta
* 12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, penne
* 1 1/4 cup fat-free skim milk
* 2 Tbsp white all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp minced garlic
* 1/2 tsp table salt
* 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
* 1 Tbsp thyme, fresh, chopped, divided
* 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
* 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano recommended
* 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

# Preheat oven to 375ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Coat a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with cooking spray.

# Place squash on prepared baking sheet; roast until tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Place in a large bowl and mash.

# Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. After squash has been roasting for about 10 minutes, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and return to pot.

# In a medium saucepan, whisk together milk, flour, garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in mashed squash and 2 1/2 teaspoons of thyme. Add sauce to pasta; toss to mix and coat.

# Transfer pasta mixture to prepared baking dish; dot with spoonfuls of ricotta and then sprinkle with Parmesan and walnuts. Bake until top is lightly browned in a few spots, about 15 to 20 minutes; remove from oven and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme. Yields about 1 cup per serving.

BakedPastaSquashSauce_n_lg.jpg

Hirsch63

MBTI Type
IS??
Ivy that looks great! Living here in Cheeseland I am spoiled with my access to cheese variety...Now I have a squash/cheese excuse to buy more!

S

sammy

Hmmm. Maybe a yogurt based sauce instead of a cream based one? That would mesh with Indian cuisine. Another idea would be a tomato cream sauce. You'd be keeping the cream, but you'd be eliminating the cheese. Although in truth, parmigana-reggiano is among the lowest fat cheeses. But still.
Hmm, that is very true. I catch my mom using yogurt instead of heavy creams a lot. Never tried tomato cream sauce before but I think I shall! I actually made pasta again last night and instead of the heavier alfredo cheese sauce, used a tomato-based one with spinach instead. It was a LOT lighter, and still tasty. (I snuck grated cheese into the dish however, because I can't follow the rules to the T :ninja: )

I've always preferred a Pakistani style vindaloo when I've noticeably had a choice! But I'll bow to your wisdom. I wasn't stereotyping Bangladeshis. We have a Bangladeshi restaurant locally and their fish is just exquisite :)

You've been to England, you've had Baltis and Tikka Masallas, right? You know they originate here, right? I made a Birmingham (England, not Alabama!) Prawn Balti last week, it was most delicious (can't remember if I posted the recipe or not...)
No no, lol, I promise you probably know more about Indian food than I do. I just have the advantage of eating it everyday, versus actually making myself study the various kinds and understanding how the flavors work --I take it for granted. *nods*

I knew you didn't stereotype the Bangladeshis, it's just something I found amusement in because a lot of people I deal with often have some prejudice against them and so I hear a lot of the "fish" jokes, even from Bangladeshis themselves. And it's no joke that they know how to make the best fish dishes! :) It's a major part of the culture/livelihood back in the homeland, so I am not surprised.

I think you may have posted it, I recall seeing something about it hmm. As for Tikka Masalas, I had no idea that originated in England! Nice, I always thought it was something completely traditional and from back home :)

Ivy, your squash dish reminds me of something I learned on foodnetwork from this show called "Healthy Appetite" with Ellie Kroeger... that you can take squash and add it to a cheese or creamy dish to substitute the heavier ingredients without sacrificing flavor and texture. She used it as a base in one of her creamy soups. It looks great though, and the ingredients aren't difficult to find, I want to try making yours!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Hmm, that is very true. I catch my mom using yogurt instead of heavy creams a lot. Never tried tomato cream sauce before but I think I shall! I actually made pasta again last night and instead of the heavier alfredo cheese sauce, used a tomato-based one with spinach instead. It was a LOT lighter, and still tasty. (I snuck grated cheese into the dish however, because I can't follow the rules to the T :ninja: )

No no, lol, I promise you probably know more about Indian food than I do. I just have the advantage of eating it everyday, versus actually making myself study the various kinds and understanding how the flavors work --I take it for granted. *nods*

I knew you didn't stereotype the Bangladeshis, it's just something I found amusement in because a lot of people I deal with often have some prejudice against them and so I hear a lot of the "fish" jokes, even from Bangladeshis themselves. And it's no joke that they know how to make the best fish dishes! :) It's a major part of the culture/livelihood back in the homeland, so I am not surprised.

I think you may have posted it, I recall seeing something about it hmm. As for Tikka Masalas, I had no idea that originated in England! Nice, I always thought it was something completely traditional and from back home :)

Ivy, your squash dish reminds me of something I learned on foodnetwork from this show called "Healthy Appetite" with Ellie Kroeger... that you can take squash and add it to a cheese or creamy dish to substitute the heavier ingredients without sacrificing flavor and texture. She used it as a base in one of her creamy soups. It looks great though, and the ingredients aren't difficult to find, I want to try making yours!

Do either of Balti or Tikka massala make it into your daily cuisine?

Balti (food) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Chicken tikka masala - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If so, you are eating english dishes, and I wonder how they have ended up in your (family?) repetoire?

If you think I'm labouring the point, it's that I love good curries of all sorts, and I'm kinda proud my country invented some of the best :)