• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Baked this a while for my birthday.

Attachments

• 808C94BF-B3B9-4D86-A2F4-92647390AACC.jpeg
    808C94BF-B3B9-4D86-A2F4-92647390AACC.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 7AAB530D-97DA-4F58-B7EC-06B5E715BD7F.jpeg
    7AAB530D-97DA-4F58-B7EC-06B5E715BD7F.jpeg
    604 KB · Views: 63

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...I was gonna cook chicken for dinner. But I defrosted it & it smelled freaking fowl. Pun intended, but seriously, it was terrible. It was like... fishy.

I’d put it in the freezer the same day I bought it. What gives??

*kicks rocks*

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Clotted Cream. A small container of it in my area of the US is about $14. The only difficulty is finding heavy cream that isn't ultra-pasteurized, it's great if you have a dairy farm to buy from. The process is so simple I don't know why I didn't do it much earlier.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dinner tonight/future dinners:

I imagine people will probably find this gross, but I’ve found it’s a decently reheatable meal I can prep all at 1 time, & freeze to eat once a week each month.

It’s just a variation of cream of mushroom chicken...

4 small boneless/skinless chicken breasts
1 can 98% fat free Campbell’s cream of mushroom condensed soup
1 can [no salt added] mushrooms
1 tsp McCormick Cajun seasoning

- I rub the seasoning onto the chicken & place it into a deep Corning Ware covered baking dish & top it with the can of condensed soup & mushrooms. Bake at 350F for 45min

While that’s cooking, I prepare 1 cup brown rice & 1 cup quinoa. I mix the two together.

-I also steam a big bag of frozen kale. Then I dump that in with the quinoa/brown rice blend & mix that all up.

When the chicken is done, I separate it all equally into 4 individual freezer-safe containers, topping each one with any remaining ‘sauce’ (the soup roux) & mushrooms, before storing.

Relatively healthy (unless you’re watching your salt intake), & always reheats perfectly.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I imagine people will probably find this gross, but I’ve found it’s a decently reheatable meal I can prep all at 1 time, & freeze to eat once a week each month.

- I rub the seasoning onto the chicken & place it into a deep Corning Ware covered baking dish & top it with the can of condensed soup & mushrooms. Bake at 350F for 45min

While that’s cooking, I prepare 1 cup brown rice & 1 cup quinoa. I mix the two together.

-I also steam a big bag of frozen kale. Then I dump that in with the quinoa/brown rice blend & mix that all up.

When the chicken is done, I separate it all equally into 4 individual freezer-safe containers, topping each one with any remaining ‘sauce’ (the soup roux) & mushrooms, before storing.

Relatively healthy (unless you’re watching your salt intake), & always reheats perfectly.
One way I found to make that cream of soup thing more healthy is to use a better brand. I buy Pacific boxed stock (the only one that sells 8 oz sizes) but I recently tried their cream soup - pretty clean ingredients and a good taste.

51kqImmCDWL._AC_.jpg

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One way I found to make that cream of soup thing more healthy is to use a better brand. I buy Pacific boxed stock (the only one that sells 8 oz sizes) but I recently tried their cream soup - pretty clean ingredients and a good taste.

51kqImmCDWL._AC_.jpg
Oh yeah! We have this over in New England, too! I think I bought their squash soup before. It was fantastic. I’ll have to try this kind for the chicken. Thanks for the tip.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've given up ever using cream soups for this sort of thing. I make my own white sauce.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've given up ever using cream soups for this sort of thing. I make my own white sauce.
That’s ideal, honestly. I’d like to make my own more consistently, but the canned stuff is my substitute when I’m low on time/energy. I’ve made roux from scratch once or twice, but it came out chalky. I’ll have to remember to bug you for some pointers once I try to take a whack at it again.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That’s ideal, honestly. I’d like to make my own more consistently, but the canned stuff is my substitute when I’m low on time/energy. I’ve made roux from scratch once or twice, but it came out chalky. I’ll have to remember to bug you for some pointers once I try to take a whack at it again.
I would be happy to tell you how I make it. It is really quite simple.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would be happy to tell you how I make it. It is really quite simple.
That’d be great! I bet a lot of people here would like to see a basic roux recipe, as welk... it works for so many different dishes.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've pulled off roux before. No chalkiness. I just followed the instructions in Joy of Cooking verbatim.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
That’d be great! I bet a lot of people here would like to see a basic roux recipe, as welk... it works for so many different dishes.
I agree. Once mastered, there is an entire world of sauces and reductions that make food amazing.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On another note... I tried to bake some cute Halloween pumpkin spice cookies yesterday on a whim. Tasted great, but looked... eh.

1665624350189.jpeg

..icing was supposed to be spiderwebs, but I didn’t quite get there.

Recipe:

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Not much actual cooking involved, but I dumped a bunch of Tajin in my pickles and a few red pepper flakes. 10/10 for the pickle juice.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I had to google tajin... that actually sounds freaking delicious on a pickle.
It's really nice, it's mostly really tangy tasting with a hint of salt. I like it sprinkled on pasta, and it's really good with different fruits. I'm in this Facebook group that's devoted to just pickles, and I'm watching them just pour a whole thing of seasoning into their pickle jars and that's what inspired me. I wanna try ranch pickles next, also wanna try dehydrated pickles.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last night, I made some kinda delicious southwest shrimp & rice thing.

I had some leftover hot pico de gallo from nachos the other night.

I sautéed some shrimp in avocado oil & some lower-sodium ‘taco seasoning’ I had kicking around.
-added a little frozen corn
-added brown rice
-added spicy pico de gallo
-added chopped jalapeños
-added a little kale for extra greens

I let all of that heat up together in my giant skillet.

It was surprisingly good. I topped it with a little dollop of plain Greek yogurt, to temper the heat a bit, though I love spicy things.
Made this again last night, but I used chicken instead of shrimp. Made my own taco seasoning this time— just kind of eyeballed a blend of chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, (extra) cayenne pepper, oregano, & black pepper. Came out really well.

This morning, I made a pumpkin-cream cheese spread with the little bit of pumpkin puree I had left from my sad spiderweb cookies.

I just tossed some cream cheese into a bowl with some cinnamon, ginger, & a micropinch of nutmeg & cloves. I also added a pinch of stevia for a hint of sweetness. Cream cheese/pumpkin ratios were probably like, 60/40. I beat the pumpkin purée in with a hand mixer until it was smooth/fluffy/lump-free, & little peaks formed when I stopped mixing. I tossed it back in the fridge to chill a bit after all the handling.

I spread that on a toasted whole wheat bagel & paired with a cup of coffee. Just Chock Full O’ Nuts original coffee, with a little cinnamon mixed into the grounds before brewing, & a splash of unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It was perfect. I have to finish this cream cheese quickly, though, since the pumpkin purée only lasts so long out of the can. I’m probably pushing it today, even. I think there’s just enough for tomorrow, anyway.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I posted this in my blog, but thought I’d share the recipe here, too.

Went apple-picking Saturday & got ...a lot... of apples.

Apple crisp time.

This is from an old cookbook I’ve had since I was a kid (hence the stained pages- I was a mess[ier] cook back then). It’s my go-to recipe.

1666209561226.jpeg

*use DARK brown sugar
*never skip cinnamon in the crumble.
*actually, dust an additional 1/8 tsp cinnamon onto your apple slices before you even put them in the pan! Or ginger, for a little kick.
*white whole wheat flour makes a better crumble than plain white.. maybe because it’s a bit coarser?
*keep your butter COLD. Use a pastry cutter to mix the crumble.
* use convection setting on oven if you have the option. Cut baking time to 35min.
*don’t forget a scoop of vanilla ice cream!

Leftovers: Reheat in oven for 10-15 min at 325F.