• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Just toast because I failed to make homemade yoghurt. WHO THE HELL FAILS TO MAKE HOMEMADE YOGHURT? ME, OF COURSE

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Just toast because I failed to make homemade yoghurt. WHO THE HELL FAILS TO MAKE HOMEMADE YOGHURT? ME, OF COURSE

I wouldn't know how to make it. I don't have any cows, goats or sheep in my non-existent garden.

Also, who doesn't allow you to drink bottles and bottles of it? I thought you were above drinking age... :rly???: It is alcohol though; fight me.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I failed my first few tries making yogurt. Three separate people told me three different methods. The first two didn't work. The third did, and I have used it ever since.

As for your spoiler, Irish Cream Whiskey is alcohol diluted with dairy products and adulterated with an excessive amount of sugary stuff. Ugh. I prefer stuff like Wisniowka.

I wouldn't know how to make it. I don't have any cows, goats or sheep in my non-existent garden.
You don't need livestock to make yogurt, just milk, a little bit of plain yogurt to use as starter, a pot, a heat source, and a container for the yogurt. I can share my recipe if you like.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
WHO THE HELL FAILS TO MAKE HOMEMADE YOGHURT?

Everyone but Coriolis, you goofball. ;)

(confession, the idea of homemade yogurt sounds kinda disgusting to me... I don't like plain yogurt, it's far too acidic.)

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

(confession, the idea of homemade yogurt sounds kinda disgusting to me... I don't like plain yogurt, it's far too acidic.)

Psst... *looks around to make sure no ones watching* Just add the fruit of your choice (and sweetener, if needed). It’s great. :yes:

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
You don't need livestock to make yogurt, just milk, a little bit of plain yogurt to use as starter, a pot, a heat source, and a container for the yogurt. I can share my recipe if you like.

Oh, that I know, I was joking. I wasn't planning on making yoghurt but I am interested in your recipe.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Also, who doesn't allow you to drink bottles and bottles of it? I thought you were above drinking age... :rly???: It is alcohol though; fight me.

If you don't have livestock milk, store-bought is fine.
No, I've never tried that. I drink alcohol for the flavour really. I REALLY LIKE DAIRY. I can legally drink really it's just that my friends are always baffled by the amount of dairy I can consume.

As for your spoiler, Irish Cream Whiskey is alcohol diluted with dairy products and adulterated with an excessive amount of sugary stuff. Ugh. I prefer stuff like Wisniowka.

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S A DAIRY PRODUCT WITH SOME ALCOHOL IN IT

Also I figured out what went wrong, my yoghurt ended up developing but it had contaminants because I messed up the storage and since I'm sick I won't be trying my chances. I also probably moved it around too much. I'll try making a new batch again some time.

Really, it is kinda scary but... It's kind of amazing. You're not supposed to leave milk out for more than 2 hours especially if it's hot, but yoghurt develops best at a toasty temperature and it... Perfectly smells like yoghurt. Not sour like soured milk, but 100% like store-bought yoghurt. It's kind of insane to have habit tell you the milk is spoiling while in reality it's actually turning into something else. Apparently the bacteria that helps turn milk into yoghurt, as well as the acidity caused by the breakdown of sugars to lactic acid helps keep it from turning into dangerous, spoiled milk (or so the articles on the internet say).

You can add stuff to your yoghurt when it's done. There are recipes that call for mixing sugar in before you leave the milk to turn into yoghurt. I'll give that a shot once I have the basics down. Supposedly will help make it thick and smooth, too. It's an amazing thought to create your own treats at home.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I have found homemade yogurt to have a much milder taste than store-bought. Yes, it is very plain, so I almost always add fruit, nuts, granola, etc. to make it more interesting. Yogurt is also a good substitute for buttermilk or sour cream in baking, so keeping some on hand means I don't have to make special purchases of those items when I want to bake things that require them.
[MENTION=39622]ThisName[/MENTION]: my recipe is very simple, taught to me by an Indian friend.
  1. Heat milk to near boiling, around 190F.
  2. Cool to around the temperature for proofing yeast, about 115-120F.
  3. Put yogurt starter in a container large enough to hold the hot milk. Use about 1 part starter to 8 parts milk.
  4. Add the hot milk, stirring to mix them.
  5. Cover and wrap in insulation. I use an insulated picnic bag. My friend uses an old blanket.
  6. Let it sit undisturbed for ~12 hours. I often let mine sit as long as 16 hours, and it is fine.
  7. Remove enough yogurt to start the next batch, and refrigerate the rest.
  8. You can freeze the starter, but don't use a microwave to thaw it.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have found homemade yogurt to have a much milder taste than store-bought. Yes, it is very plain, so I almost always add fruit, nuts, granola, etc. to make it more interesting. Yogurt is also a good substitute for buttermilk or sour cream in baking, so keeping some on hand means I don't have to make special purchases of those items when I want to bake things that require them.

[MENTION=39622]ThisName[/MENTION]: my recipe is very simple, taught to me by an Indian friend.
  1. Heat milk to near boiling, around 190F.
  2. Cool to around the temperature for proofing yeast, about 115-120F.
  3. Put yogurt starter in a container large enough to hold the hot milk. Use about 1 part starter to 8 parts milk.
  4. Add the hot milk, stirring to mix them.
  5. Cover and wrap in insulation. I use an insulated picnic bag. My friend uses an old blanket.
  6. Let it sit undisturbed for ~12 hours. I often let mine sit as long as 16 hours, and it is fine.
  7. Remove enough yogurt to start the next batch, and refrigerate the rest.
  8. You can freeze the starter, but don't use a microwave to thaw it.

Thanks for sharing that recipe, Cor!

rav3n

Garlic naan bread pizza with ham, pineapple, mushrooms, mozza and peppers. Should have taken a pic of it but we were starving.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Green beans with *cough* terribly well done entrecote (steak) and burnt onions. "Bake the steak for three minutes on each side- it'll be between saignant and à point by now."

LIARS. THEY LIED. :cry:

If you don't have livestock milk, store-bought is fine.
No, I've never tried that. I drink alcohol for the flavour really. I REALLY LIKE DAIRY. I can legally drink really it's just that my friends are always baffled by the amount of dairy I can consume.
Licor 43 has the same fine texture as Baileys but it's a bit 'softer'? Sweet but not too sweet- creamy. Apparently with an 'obvious' vanilla taste according to Google... I never would have said it tastes like vanilla, more like creamy caramel. You can drink it with tea or coffee too.
In this case I reckon your friends are rather baffled by the fact you'd drink a few bottles of alcohol. :rly???: IT IS SEVENTEEN PERCENT. SEVENTEEN.

And you, really like dairy? That wasn't obvious, not at all... Someone please buy this dairy blob his own personal farm with some cows, sheep and goats.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Licor 43 has the same fine texture as Baileys but it's a bit 'softer'? Sweet but not too sweet- creamy. Apparently with an 'obvious' vanilla taste according to Google... I never would have said it tastes like vanilla, more like creamy caramel. You can drink it with tea or coffee too.
In this case I reckon your friends are rather baffled by the fact you'd drink a few bottles of alcohol. :rly???: IT IS SEVENTEEN PERCENT. SEVENTEEN.

That sounds really tasty. I'd really love to try it. Also, I drink a lot. No, not drink as in consume alcohol, I just drink a lot of water/liquids. I drink alcohol for the flavour the same way I'd drink milk because it's tasty. I think the tolerance makes it so that I can drink alcohol like it's just a regular drink. (I've never had more than two bottles of anything though). I did drink over half a bottle of bailey's in one go but that was also because of the taste + I drink a lot.

AND SEE!!! 17% IS NOT EVEN 1/4 THE ENTIRE THING. NOT EVEN 1/5. IT'S MILK WITH SOME ALCOHOL

Also about your oven, did you overcook or undercook? Wonder if it's that weird thing with different ovens being different and all.

And you, really like dairy? That wasn't obvious, not at all... Someone please buy this dairy blob his own personal farm with some cows, sheep and goats.

I'm a dairy lover not a farmer! And yeah, a lot. I can go through a gallon a day if left unchecked. This isn't an exaggeration.

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
That sounds really tasty. I'd really love to try it. Also, I drink a lot. No, not drink as in consume alcohol, I just drink a lot of water/liquids. I drink alcohol for the flavour the same way I'd drink milk because it's tasty. I think the tolerance makes it so that I can drink alcohol like it's just a regular drink. (I've never had more than two bottles of anything though). I did drink over half a bottle of bailey's in one go but that was also because of the taste + I drink a lot.

AND SEE!!! 17% IS NOT EVEN 1/4 THE ENTIRE THING. NOT EVEN 1/5. IT'S MILK WITH SOME ALCOHOL
TRY IT. Now.
What's your definition of 'a lot of alcohol' then? :rly???: I also wonder how the Irish people feel about you calling their spectacular drink 'milk with some alcohol'.
Ever tried Jägermeister? I'm curious how you'd do on that, it's 'only' 35% but a few shots just might get the alcohol into your system.

WELL IT DOES NOT MATTER. YOU'D BE CONSIDERED TOO DRUNK TO DRIVE EVEN IF YOU DON'T FEEL ANYTHING.

Also about your oven, did you overcook or undercook? Wonder if it's that weird thing with different ovens being different and all.
Bold of you to assume that I prepare my steak in the oven. You better watch your tone, snarky. (Until yesterday I didn't even know that people prepare their steak in the oven. I have never seen anyone do it here. Why put it in the oven when it's ready within five minutes in the pan?)
It was overcooked. If it was undercooked it wouldn't have been that tragic. Because then I could have... Thrown it back in the pan, ya know (yes, sometimes I do solve my problems).

I'm a dairy lover not a farmer! And yeah, a lot. I can go through a gallon a day if left unchecked. This isn't an exaggeration.
"If left unchecked". Ok, toddler.
A part of me wonders if you are my reincarnated hamster. I used to bathe it in milk. Maybe that's where the obsessions stems from...

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A part of me wonders if you are my reincarnated hamster. I used to bathe it in milk. Maybe that's where the obsessions stems from...

:huh:

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Bold of you to assume that I prepare my steak in the oven. You better watch your tone, snarky. (Until yesterday I didn't even know that people prepare their steak in the oven. I have never seen anyone do it here. Why put it in the oven when it's ready within five minutes in the pan?)
It was overcooked. If it was undercooked it wouldn't have been that tragic. Because then I could have... Thrown it back in the pan, ya know (yes, sometimes I do solve my problems).

Slower and more thorough cooking? There are folks who put it in the oven THEN in the pan, for searing.

Aren't milk baths good for the skin?

Schrödinger's Name

Blessed With A Curse
Aren't milk baths good for the skin?

Exactly. Have you ever seen the movie "Charlotte's Web"? They bathed the pig in milk. I figured I could do the same with my hamster so his fur would become soft and shiny. I heated the milk in the microwave to make sure his little hamster toes wouldn't get cold. Then I poured the milk in the sink and let my hamster swim around in it. #keepyourhamsterfit&clean

Slower and more thorough cooking? There are folks who put it in the oven THEN in the pan, for searing.
That sounds risky, like a waste of time + more dishes. You say thorough cooking, does that mean you eat your steak well done? Because medium/rare steak is never thoroughly cooked, right..? (I don't know anything about cooking, okay...)

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is backwards. Searing generally happens first, to seal in moisture, then any further cooking.

rav3n

Dinner was full on nuts with tiny bits of leftovers. It was a tiny bit of beef congie with enokis, bean sprouts and cilantro, cabbage rolls and arroz con pollo. Flavors were bat shit crazy together. For some reason, H loved the crazy combination. Classic INTP.