• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What did you Bake/Cook Today?!?!?! :)

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Last weekend, I made some fantastic gluten-free buttermilk Belgian waffles from scratch (for my INTP friend who's got a wheat allergy). I'm not modest - these were great.

Ingredients:

- 1 3/4 cups Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- pinch of ground cloves
- 2 eggs (or 1/2 cup Eggbeaters)
- 2 cups cultured fat-free buttermilk
- 1/3 cup canola oil (or butter- but I used canola oil, as I was low on butter. I assume it'll come out the same w/ butter, though)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract

Instructions:

1.) Preheat waffle iron. (I have this one - a light shuts off/it beeps when it's preheated, as well as when the waffles are done)

2.) while the iron heats, mix all the dry ingredients well, in a large mixing bowl, w/a wire whisk.

3.) in a separate mixing bowl, beat the 2 eggs, until well mixed.

4.) add remaining wet ingredients to the egg-bowl; blend well.

5.) pour wet mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients. Mix ONLY until moistened - batter should be lumpy.

6.) let the batter rest about 5 min, then pour 1/4-1/3 cup batter into waffle maker, & close it. Scrape away any excess that may ooze out.

7.) most waffle irons will indicate when the waffle is finished cooking. Serve immediately, with butter, syrup, fruit - whatever you like best. And coffee. Serve with coffee, or you're going to Hell.

This batter didn't bake up well when used later that day, but the waffles themselves keep very well overnight & put in a toaster. They freeze well, too. You can't actually taste the spices at all, or the sugar. They were kinda bland without it, though. Hard to explain.

Thought I'd share this, as I know gluten-free baking can be a pain in the ass, & some folks on the forum have to eat gluten-free ( [MENTION=8494]Sinmara[/MENTION] ). I couldn't tell the difference between these & Belgian waffles made with white flour- though personally I prefer whole wheat flour. I'm gonna try that in this recipe next time, with some slivered almonds. I may try subbing in the oil for nonfat yogurt. It works in pancakes, sometimes - but I've a feeling it may result in softer waffles (vs the crispy outside/tender/fluffy inside this recipe currently yields), which may be less desirable in terms of holding up toppings.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Made a bunch of whole wheat Belgian waffles, broke them up (just a quarter is pretty damn filling - likely because whole grains tend to be heavier than shitty white flour) & froze them.

I bought a bag of King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour, & used the recipe on their website, with a few substitutions.

Whole Wheat Waffles Recipe | King Arthur Flour

In place of the sugar, I used brown sugar (had it on hand in the freezer). Subbed unsweetened vanilla almond milk for the regular milk, as the waffles seemed too dense when I tried it w/regular milk. Canola oil for the vegetable oil.

Added 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, & pinch of cloves. Also about 1/8cup hand-chopped (not sliced) almonds.

They came out awesome. Had a quarter of one with sugar-free (Splenda sweetened) maple syrup. Might up the chopped almonds by a tbsp next time.

Froze really well, and reheated perfectly in the toaster, slightly above the medium heat setting. I'm going to save these as an every once in awhile treat for breakfast, as I prefer less sweet stuff, like egg white veggie wraps/omelettes & a piece of fruit for breakfast, more often. Waffles, even a small serving, just feel too heavy to start your day with all the time.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Caprese salad for lunch and pasta with roasted cauliflower and peas in a sage and butter sauce for dinner. :happy2:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
herb marinated lamb chops and a salad with a homemade bacon vinaigrette with a side of ciabatta bread

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I didn't cook anything today but here's what I cooked this weekend:

- potato beet sausage skillet with fried eggs (great)
- zucchini noodles with pesto, cheese, and sausage (good)
- szechuan tofu with eggplant (okay)

Cloudpatrol

Senior(ita) Member
I have been making this Thai Noodle dish every week. It's addictive and tastes great cold too. Actually, the recipe is for a cold salad version but I like to make it warm and add whatever veggies I have kicking around.

Thaioneon_zpsolr1sbev.jpg

Last night I made this as practice for a dinner I want to make for someone important. I would WELCOME suggestions on how to plate this more attractively. I can make the rice distinctive but then the sauces just look like splodges on a plate and run into the rice :shrug: Are there ways to get around this? I know nothing about plating so please, even basics are appreciated.

Paneer Tikka - Mango Butter Chicken - Chicken Korma

Indo_zpsv9pvcpgd.jpg

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have been making this Thai Noodle dish every week. It's addictive and tastes great cold too. Actually, the recipe is for a cold salad version but I like to make it warm and add whatever veggies I have kicking around.

Thaioneon_zpsolr1sbev.jpg

Last night I made this as practice for a dinner I want to make for someone important. I would WELCOME suggestions on how to plate this more attractively. I can make the rice distinctive but then the sauces just look like splodges on a plate and run into the rice :shrug: Are there ways to get around this? I know nothing about plating so please, even basics are appreciated.

Paneer Tikka - Mango Butter Chicken - Chicken Korma

Indo_zpsv9pvcpgd.jpg

Just put a garnish on that meaty orange sauce part... I think it will look better. Idk maybe some toasted almond flakes or some such

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I need to read more of this thread. ;)

I will probably make pumpkin spice cookies tonight... out of a bag... with cream cheese icing out of a plastic can.
I know, I'm lame. But it's the most I can seem to manage nowadays.

(last week, I used the slow cooker to cook a pork loin with bagged sauce to have pork BBQ meals for a few days. It actually was good. But I haven't done much from scratch at all in recent years.)

I was always looking for a decent way to make General Tso's (or sesame chicken) in terms of the batter, but I don't want to use a deep fryer. It never seems to cook in the cool lumpy way the restaurants do.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Nothing special, just frozen chicken burger things but I did bake some sliced mushrooms with a bit of oil and liberal slosh of balsamic vinegar for 10 minutes. I know how to accessorise.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Now I need to read more of this thread. ;)

I will probably make pumpkin spice cookies tonight... out of a bag... with cream cheese icing out of a plastic can.
I know, I'm lame. But it's the most I can seem to manage nowadays.

(last week, I used the slow cooker to cook a pork loin with bagged sauce to have pork BBQ meals for a few days. It actually was good. But I haven't done much from scratch at all in recent years.)

I was always looking for a decent way to make General Tso's (or sesame chicken) in terms of the batter, but I don't want to use a deep fryer. It never seems to cook in the cool lumpy way the restaurants do.

Not Your Takeout Place's General Tso's Chicken - The Woks of Life

I've used this recipe many times. I have also used a tempura batter, I don't like that as much as the cornstarch this recipe uses.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cooked lots today so I'll have mason jar lunches all week plus extra.

I made poha (Indian breakfast dish made with flattened rice), a roasted potato and fennel soup, and a pasta with asparagus, mushrooms and balsamic cream sauce. I have lots of leftover borscht and a mixed vegetables and coconut milk curry from yesterday and I'm going to maybe make baingan bharta (charred eggplant cooked with tomatoes and onions Indian style) tomorrow so my eggplant doesn't go bad. OMG so much food but this is what happens when you lack the ability to control yourself in the produce section.

I'm cooking with friends tonight and we're gonna make among other things a mushroom, broccoli and bell pepper stir fry with Thai peanut sauce. :drool:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Heated up leftovers of a very special meal I made the other day.

It's not that special, really. But it's special to me because, even though I just made it up based on laziness and what food I had lying around, it got me to enjoy eating again after having an upset stomach for over a week.

Recipe in spoiler tags below.

TLDR, it's basically spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce. But I made up the sauce. And I'm amazed that it actually behaved like a sauce in the end (i.e. sticking to the pasta).

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's noodle soup season, motherf*ckers!!

Bought a pack of instant udon noodle soup from the Korean grocery -- three servings for $4.50 and it doesn't taste half bad! You boil a cup of water, add the noodles, cook for one minute, add a liquid packet (mostly soy sauce) and a seasoning packet (mostly bonito flakes and seaweed), and cook for another minute. It's a tad salty but still way better than I expected. And what a deal!

So, today for lunch I cooked up a serving of that instant udon soup, sautéed some salad greens that had wilted in the fridge and added those, and topped it with a seven-minute egg. Would have added scallions but didn't have any lying around.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
I finally succeeded at making lamb shanks with mint sauce. They were delicious.

I also made fried potatoes with bell pepper and onions. I could never get those right in the past, never the right texture. No matter which pan I used they'd stick. So I tried putting them in a cast iron pan on cooking them on the BBQ. Now they're perfect every time.

Heated up leftovers of a very special meal I made the other day.

It's not that special, really. But it's special to me because, even though I just made it up based on laziness and what food I had lying around, it got me to enjoy eating again after having an upset stomach for over a week.

Recipe in spoiler tags below.

TLDR, it's basically spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce. But I made up the sauce. And I'm amazed that it actually behaved like a sauce in the end (i.e. sticking to the pasta).

That sounds really good. I have several lbs of tomatoes from my garden I dunno what to do with. Maybe this,

FYI: maybe you already know or even care but; shocking tomatoes ( boil for about 30 sec and then toss into ice water) is a great way to get rid of the skins. ( I hate tomato skins. They make me gag.)

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That sounds really good. I have several lbs of tomatoes from my garden I dunno what to do with. Maybe this,
Try it! :) I'll bet it would be even better with some sprucing up. Maybe adding some onion to the tomatoes while they're cooking. Or some fresh basil. Maybe using butter instead of olive oil would be better too.

FYI: maybe you already know or even care but; shocking tomatoes ( boil for about 30 sec and then toss into ice water) is a great way to get rid of the skins. ( I hate tomato skins. They make me gag.)
Really? I have no opinion either way -- didn't occur to me that tomato skins could be polarizing!

While I knew the trick about blanching tomatoes, I just didn't care enough at the time. :laugh:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
While I knew the trick about blanching tomatoes, I just didn't care enough at the time. :laugh:

Yep. Peaches too, the skin just slides off. I like a food mill for making sauce - no skin, no seeds, very nice but not everyone has a food mill. A fine strainer will also work.