• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

could I potentially get blamed for this?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I have two room mates and one has a dog. The one with the dog asked the other one to watch the dog while she was in classes and do other things, the one who doesn't own the dog agreed. Now the one who agreed to watch the dog ended up leaving for four hours and locking the dog in my room without any lights on the dog freaked out tried to dig under the door ripping the carpet to shreds so now I'm scared to see how bad the damage is. I shouldn't be blamed for this right? since I was out of town and have proof of being out of town when this happened. I know it's my room, I'm kinda pissed because who would leave a dog that has been abandoned at least several times locked in a dark room? luckily I'm bringing a crate back with me so if no one can be their for a few hours we can put him in that and in my room (which is the furthest from the door so if he barks he doesn't disturb the whole floor. He's usually a good dog and doesn't destroy things, he just gets freaked out easily. But my room mate is paying someone to come to watch him tonight and tommorow while she's in class (classes are about 4 hours long in our major), since the other room mate left even after she said she'd be their with him. as the first room mate pointed out she doesn't expect any one to watch her dog, but if someone says the will she expects them not to leave.

so I want to know if, I get blamed and asked to pay if I have substanial proof to say it's not my fault,will i still have to pay? Since I have proof that I wasn't their during those dates, though I don't know how to prove it happened while I'll was gone. I should also add the carpet was ruined before I moved in (by the person they kicked out for not paying rent), but I wasn't planning on ruining it anymore.I was told that replacing the carpet will come out of her deposit, but I'm still paranoid, especially after this happened.

lamp

It seems the one who was asked to watch the dog is responsible for the damage. But I cannot speculate further on this matter until you change your type to ENFP :D

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I'm not on the lease since i moved in the middle, and the landlord didn't want to bother adding me, but i will be on the next one when we renew.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm not on the lease since i moved in the middle, and the landlord didn't want to bother adding me, but i will be on the next one when we renew.

I'm no lawyer (whew), but my guess is that whoever(s) signed the lease is the one responsible for the damages - even if it *was* your fault, they would be legally (but not morally) responsible. Unless they wanted to sue you, I suppose (which I doubt in this case).

If the landlord is going to fix the carpet based on a previous tenant's forfeited deposit, why hasn't it been done yet? Is the puppy-damage significantly worse than the carpet damage the previous tenant left? Was carpet damage listed as a "pre-existing damage" item for the apartment at the time of the lease-signing?

I'm just full of questions :D. But I think they probably have some bearing on what you and your roommates (more likely) will be expected to pay for the damage. One thing I know... you saying that you were out of town when the damage occurred will mean absolutely zilch to the landlord. The fact that you're not on the lease will... so if you're really shooting to not pay for it, make sure that it's listed as a preexisting condition on any lease that you *do* sign.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I haven't seen the damage yet. and the previous tenant moved out mid lease and i replaced her so that lease is techinically still in effect it was my other two room mates and her moved in december of 2008 she didn't pay rent at all so in febuary they kicked her out one of my room mates paid 3,000 out of her tutition money to bail them selves out since the person who got kicked out wasn't going to pay even though she'd spend 100s and 100s of dollars shopping most of the time yet some how she couldn't afford rent? whatever. I moved in the end of April and it's a year lease so.....though i believe my landlord did take at look at my room after she moved out and before i moved in and made a list of the damages. I need to double check that.

But I was and I have proof that I was.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
legally the guard of the dog is responsible for damages to things, people or said dog.

the guard being litteraly the one taking care of it at the moment of the damage.

also, you worry too much.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
whomever was watching the dog is responsible for him and the situation/aftermath!