• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Male Homemakers

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My only problem would come from needing money for hobies...

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I wonder if men in general are properly conditioned to handle that type of social atmosphere. I've a strong feeling that I would become isolated and irritated after not too long.

Usehername

On a mission
Well, I basically agree with that- but I think most mothers want something else to do after a few years, too. Especially if they were very work-oriented before spawning. The difference, IMO, is that the societal expectations for women are different from those for men. IMO, they're even more strict for boys and men.

Definitely. My opinion is purely a pragmatic one. I'd be cool with it temporarily (a few years max) but in the long term, I think even if paying the cost of daycare financially nullifies the point of having him work, the social rewards would probably make it worth it.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's just part of the family budget, regardless of who is the breadwinner. Or should be, IMO.

Ok, I guess I just have to make sure I really trust her; which makes that a moot point since I should be able to trust her before things get that far.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if men in general are properly conditioned to handle that type of social atmosphere. I've a strong feeling that I would become isolated and irritated after not too long.

It sounds fine to me.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't think the question of whether men in general are properly conditioned to handle the social atmosphere is very relevant when it comes to any individual man. It's insulting when people insinuate that women aren't properly conditioned to work fulltime after having children, and I find it equally insulting to insinuate that men can't handle doing the bulk of household management and childrearing.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah baby, you bring home that bacon. *Slaps wife's butt*

2 year old daughter walks up after wife leaves for work...

"Daddy I fall down and have boo boo"

Me: "Be a man and walk it off" *sips pabst blue ribbon*

Livin the dream.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, I basically agree with that- but I think most mothers want something else to do after a few years, too. Especially if they were very work-oriented before spawning. The difference, IMO, is that the societal expectations for women are different from those for men. IMO, they're even more strict for boys and men.

Definitely....my ISFJ mom was cool with staying home because her interests were gardening, cooking (elaborate stuff, not just dinner), reading, and volunteering. This was easy to work around taking care of kids. I think more women than not need to have additional "projects" beyond the home though.

My aunt was going stir-crazy after having a kid and went back to work after a year. Now her husband works for himself out of the home, and he is essentially "Mr. Mom" since he has the flexible schedule and more time to clean/cook/care for their kid. He can also bring their child along when he works outside the home.

I think the bottom line is a person needs some stimulation outside of parenting and homemaking.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I was a stay-at-home-dad for 2 years.

Though I loved spending so much time with my child, it was extremely debilitating to be financially dependent on my wife.

I lost most of my self-esteem and self-confidence during that period, and there certainly was no shortage of people insulting and degrading me for doing it.

My wife did not like being the primary homemaker, either.

Right now, I work full-time and she works 3 days a week.

Her mom babysits on the days she works.

This arrangement is working out really well for us. :yes:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I knew a man who did this. He stayed home with his daughter and somehow managed to start his own business by the time she was in elementary school while his wife worked. He was (still is?) successful with his business.

The messed up part is that by the time his business was off the ground and they were both working, they got divorced. But it wasn't over him being a stay-at-home dad.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah baby, you bring home that bacon. *Slaps wife's butt*

2 year old daughter walks up after wife leaves for work...

"Daddy I fall down and have boo boo"

Me: "Be a man and walk it off" *sips pabst blue ribbon*

Livin the dream.

:laugh: :nice:

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
I was a stay-at-home-dad for 2 years.

Though I loved spending so much time with my child, it was extremely debilitating to be financially dependent on my wife.

I lost most of my self-esteem and self-confidence during that period, and there certainly was no shortage of people insulting and degrading me for doing it.

My wife did not like being the primary homemaker, either.

Right now, I work full-time and she works 3 days a week.

Her mom babysits on the days she works.

This arrangement is working out really well for us. :yes:

Wuss.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I think people should do what works for them. It would never, ever fly in my house though.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
My own father became a stay-at-home dad due to illness and I must say he was great, perhaps better than my mother. He had amazing patience and seemed to put the same effort into it has he had done into work. I can't say he always liked though but I think that was more to do with his ill health. Certainly from a child's perspective it made no difference. Actually both that I had had neither parent at home because both were working in fact my mom worked like five jobs and so it was just nice for me to see so much of one of my parents! :D

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
I wouldn't mind seeing more stay at home dads, simply because I think it's a gender role stereotype that women are great with children and all that.