• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Home Decorating/Designing/Furniture Help, Please!

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
So, the reason that I came here hours ago was to get advice on furniture arranging.

I live in a college apartment and I'm tired of it looking like frat boys live here. Our main living area is a long and awkward room (about 12 by 21). In this room, I need space for an entertainment center/couch (the wii needs a home)... two computer desks and a dining table.

Currently, we have everything in the room but it looks like a room that a bunch of crap was thrown into. The front door is on one end of the 21ft expanse and a sliding glass door is on the other (leads to a patio that we never use because it's an awkward space to walk through as is). Each side has a hallway leading to the kitchen and bedrooms. Because of all of the door ways, I have a hard time finding enough wall space.

Any ideas?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
qj4K2adXnpnvzzcuhjVDOvjbo1_1280.jpg

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I like design to be built into the furniture and other necessary objects so I can maintain a minimalist lifestyle without feeling like I'm in a dreary prison cell or hospital. For example, having a desk with design work in the wood, or colorful/ornate tableware etc. Otherwise you end up buying worthless trinkets that clutter everything and collect dust.

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
Alwar, I agree. I am not really at the point where I do the "fancy stuff"... I need to figure out where to put the furniture. I get in these strange moods where I can paint but I can't figure out how to make the couch "go." My friends buy things that go on shelves and serve no purpose other than to look at... this is WAY beyond me... I'd probably be happy to move into one of those rooms on the Ikea show floor, except with windows and I can't live in 500sqft.

Poppy, I don't see anything on your post... it's just blank. If that was on purpose, I totally concur... I'm drawing a blank. :devil:

ubiquitous1

So, the reason that I came here hours ago was to get advice on furniture arranging.

I live in a college apartment and I'm tired of it looking like frat boys live here. Our main living area is a long and awkward room (about 12 by 21). In this room, I need space for an entertainment center/couch (the wii needs a home)... two computer desks and a dining table.

Currently, we have everything in the room but it looks like a room that a bunch of crap was thrown into. The front door is on one end of the 21ft expanse and a sliding glass door is on the other (leads to a patio that we never use because it's an awkward space to walk through as is). Each side has a hallway leading to the kitchen and bedrooms. Because of all of the door ways, I have a hard time finding enough wall space.

Any ideas?

It is hard to offer any concrete suggestions without knowing the exact location of the entry and doorways. However, I would suggest placing the TV and stuff as far away from the traffic areas as possible. Do you guys use the dining table? If you don't maybe you should move it elsewhere or re-purpose it. For example, I turned one of our old dining tables into a laptop docking area and set up a network for the printer and other stuff. Now our desktop and 3 laptops fit into an area which is about 8x12. Good luck to you!

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Dammit! The image location must have moved. It was there, I swear it! Fine, fickle internet, I will host it myself.

resourcetower.jpg

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hey chasingAJ,

Is there any way you could draw a picture in MS Paint, save it as a JPEG, and attach it to a reply in this thread?

Just the general 2-dimensional view of the room, the doorways, approximate lengths of walls (use 3 of your feet for "2 real feet", something like that), windows, etc. would make it much easier for us creative-resourceful-this-old-house-Martha-Stewart-wanna-be types to help you. :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
you can put the tv on the long wall and the couch dividing the dining and living space...dining room stuff on the other side and a couple chairs across from the couch and the coffee table in front of the couch...but...computer desks? damn...there's no room for that...can't they go in the bedroom or something? haha...sorry...

wolfy

awsm
layout.jpg

I don't know if this is the correct layout of the room. You need to leave the area that people see when they open the front door clear to give the appearance of space. Put the table next to the sliding door.

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
schematicofhouse.jpg

Sorry, I had to draw it to scale with a grid and it took some time. There are outlets on every wall and the cable comes into the house on the wall where the hall closet is.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Awesome!

Will reply after I take a test at 5:30 PM.

;)

I moved every two years of my life from age 5 to age 14.
I can create a bad ass place out of any room, with any stuff, GUARANTEED.

:yes:

ubiquitous1

I would place the computers on the same wall as the entry and place the table in front of the computer area. Then I would place the sofa perpendicular to the part of the patio door that doesn't open with the TV on the parallel wall. Good luck to you.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
From top the bottom:

Dining table (perhaps not shoved into a corner or used as something else other than a dining table)

Computer desks at opposing sides of the room.

Hallways...

The couch in front of the bar. The bar can now be used to place lamps, odds and ends, what-have-you. This puts the extra stuff behind the couch and out of sight most of the time.

TV across from the couch.

Shelves, small tables, whatever in the remaining space near the sliding door.

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
That works well, I'm impressed... I have some bulky things that I need to juggle around (my entertainment center is a wall unit that's 5ft tall and 4ft wide) but I think it will work and I won't feel "stuff-ocated!"

THANK YOU!

bcvcdc

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTx
I've been reading these posts and I have to wonder WHERE THE HELL DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS STUPID SHIT?

chasingAJ

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
FIVE
I've been reading these posts and I have to wonder WHERE THE HELL DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS STUPID SHIT?

What's with the weird personal attack? If you gave me a specific question I could offer you an answer but I cannot guarantee that it is something you can understand. It seems like you're just trying to be an asshole and it serves no real purpose. That, to me, is the epitome of stupid shit. Perhaps you should read a book so that you might have something relatively worthwhile to wonder about. I have zero problems slowing down and offering an explanation of how my mind works because that seems to be the point of talking to random strangers on the anonymous internet but I hated high school when I was there so I have no desire to go back. What are you lacking that compels you to read posts that you FEEL are stupid?

The weird adolescent bullshit makes me want to barf and it's the reason that I've already grown bored with this place... there are some really brilliant minds that I enjoy exploring but it seems that there are people who feel insecure in the presence of intellectual discourse and need to throw a tantrum.

I was looking for input from different types of people because I'm a thinker and he's a feeler and my daughter is an extrovert. Theoretically, I could find a mixture of ideas that would seem right to everyone. I posted this in the appropriate section and I would gladly entertain any legitimate questions or complaints. I don't see what the problem is...

Qre:us

I like architecture to be congenital into the appliance and added all-important altar so I can advance a minimalist affairs after activity like I'm in a black bastille corpuscle or hospital. For example, accepting a board with architecture plan in the wood, or colorful/ornate ceramics etc. Otherwise you end up affairs abandoned trinkets that ataxia aggregate and aggregate dust.

:wacko: Furniture company troll alert!!! :spam2: (yesh! finally get to use this emoticon!)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
That was so interestingly worded I'm leaving it up in your quote, Qre:us.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
That was so interestingly worded I'm leaving it up in your quote, Qre:us.

It was eerily similar to my post in this thread, like he took it and reworded as a person who doesn't speak English as a first language.