• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone know anything about growing flowers?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Yep, Poppy is going to grow poppies.
(Actually they're not true poppies, they're Meconopsis betonicifolia...but shh!)

I want to make sure I do this right though, and I haven't been able to find much information online about growing them. Anyone have any experience with them? Or for that matter, any pointers on growing indoor plants in general?

P

Phantonym

I completely lack any hint of green thumbs, so I'm no help to you. But since I actually bothered to Google the flower and found it to be one for my taste, I'm going to post a lovely picture of it for people to ogle :)

Meconopsis betonicifolia

Oh, and yeah, pointers on growing indoor plants: take care of them! That's the most important thing!

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
That's a nice picture of them. I hope mine grow to be that dark shade of blue, from what I understand the composition of the soil plays a big role in what color the blossoms are. Haha, and I will do my best to take care of them.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
A quick google says to keep it in partial shade and to keep it moist. Cut your soil with a generous amount of perlite and vermiculite to retain moisture. Fertilizing is really up to you, but for organic soil I generally go with earthworm and bat teas (or any generic indoor blend), and Fox Farm's blooming blend for the flowering stages. Seems like this variety would make a cool houseplant. Poppies are generally easy to maintain. Watering is pretty straightforward if you're consistent (I'm terrible at this). You basically need to just stick your finger under the soil a tad and check for moisture. The leaves should droop a bit when they want water.

For indoor growing, I'm going to let you in on a secret. For plants that lack adequate window natural lighting, use compact florescent bulbs. You can string them onto extension cords w/ the bulb adapters and place them wherever you need, or get those cheap aluminum reflector discs w/ base clamps to go with each light. Traditionally you'd use the tube flourescents, but CFLs are more space efficient. And you can even get the bulbs in difference light spectrums now (bluer for growth stage, redder for bloom) for cheap. If you want your plants to grow mega fast, let them have access to light 24/7 during the growth stage. When they flower, they'll need 12 hours light and dark to initiate that cycle, which you can force if you want.

BTW a lot of this crap is optional. I'm just offering up endless suggestions.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I don't know about poppies, but my general indoor gardening advice goes like this:

-- Water infrequently. For most plants, too much watering is worse than too little watering. Some plants make it easy by getting droopy when they are thirsty, but not all. Stick your finger in the soil, and only water if it's completely dry.

-- Most potting mixes hold too much moisture. Most plants actually prefer faster draining substrate. To get this, you can mix some extra perlite and vermiculite into your potting soil. However, be forewarned that plants in fast-draining soil need to be watered more frequently, so if you're planning a long vacation you might want to use the normal stuff.

-- Keep it in a place it likes. If you're watering it properly, but it's turning brown and is generally unhappy, maybe it's getting too much sun. If it's pale and wan, and looks like your cousin who spends too much time on the internet, maybe it needs more light. Temperature is also a factor to consider.

-- Repot it when it gets big. A plant that is root-bound will stop growing, and becomes very easy to kill. When you repot, you can also divide to make lots of clones from your original plant, if you like it.

-- Growing from seed is harder, but it is cheaper and IMO more satisfying.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
(suggestions)

(suggestions)

Hey, good info. I'll make a trip to the store and see about getting some perlite and vermiculite because all I have at the moment is some kind of super generic soil blend that hasn't given me a lot of success with other plants. I'm keeping the seeds in the fridge for a few weeks to trick them into germination, supposedly it works well with this plant. Although I am a little worried about what "earthworm and bat teas" entail...I assume an infusion of waste products...ick.

Good luck! I killed a cactus, so I am obviously no help :)
Lol, thanks anyway :laugh:

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Although I am a little worried about what "earthworm and bat teas" entail...I assume an infusion of waste products...ick.

Yeah, I hate to break it to you but that stuff is the excrement of earthworms and bats. Thankfully, waste products make the best nutrients. ;)

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
(Actually they're not true poppies, they're Meconopsis betonicifolia...but shh!)

Why not Papaver Somniforum? :whistling:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Did you ever give this a shot poppy? I would only grow flowers to attract bees to the food myself.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I guess this just shows how disconnected to nature people are getting. it's just a flower they need water and light(mostly) some don't need direct sunlight. that's about it!

P

Phantonym

I guess this just shows how disconnected to nature people are getting. it's just a flower they need water and light(mostly) some don't need direct sunlight. that's about it!

Some plants are so sensitive to their surroundings and conditions they're grown in that they seem to almost drop dead from a wrong look you cast at them.
It's a whole science. The temperature, just the right amount of light, suitable contents of the soil, humidity, you name it, there are so many things that need attention. And even the plants that do not need that much care, still need your attention once in a while.
I like plants but my home is plant free because I often forget to even water them. I seriously dislike plastic plants so that's not an option either. I enjoy the trees outside of my windows and fortunately the nature takes care of them very well.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

I want to make sure I do this right though, and I haven't been able to find much information online about growing them. Anyone have any experience with them? Or for that matter, any pointers on growing indoor plants in general?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy wax or silk flowers? They would basically look the same, and not involve dirt or drawing insects.

Anyway, the only advice I can think of if you're going to insist on doing this, is to make sure you water them regularly, don't let them dry out (from what I've read, that species is especially sensitive to drying out)... and remember to feed them plant food.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

NO WAY! I had no idea. Thanks for the helpful advice!
:huh:

Wouldn't it be simpler to just buy wax or silk flowers? They would basically look the same, and not involve dirt or drawing insects.

Anyway, the only advice I can think of if you're going to insist on doing this, is to make sure you water them regularly, don't let them dry out (from what I've read, that species is especially sensitive to drying out)... and remember to feed them plant food.

I actually don't think that silk flowers look as good as real flowers, and there's something to be said for successfully growing a plant (especially a somewhat exotic flower). It's a challenge. I'll probably pick up a spray bottle to make sure the soil stays uniformly moist.

Did you ever give this a shot poppy? I would only grow flowers to attract bees to the food myself.

The seeds are currently in my fridge under the impression that it's still winter. I was hoping to plant them this week, but I think the weather is too hot right now, and I don't have air conditioning to keep them cool and happy. Hopefully within the next few weeks it'll cool down some.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
The seeds are currently in my fridge under the impression that it's still winter. I was hoping to plant them this week, but I think the weather is too hot right now, and I don't have air conditioning to keep them cool and happy. Hopefully within the next few weeks it'll cool down some.

Can you grow some of these seeds as well? I'll come back in about 8 weeks for them. What's that you say, illegal? It is for my glaucoma, are you so heartless?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Can you grow some of these seeds as well? I'll come back in about 8 weeks for them. What's that you say, illegal? It is for my glaucoma, are you so heartless?

:laugh:

Maybe I should go into business (canna-business, that is) :devil: