• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Geoff takes some pics in Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
OK, couple to start off with. As always, criticisms, comments, encouragements, general observations all welcome.

First two :

Medway Head lighthouse on the South Shore. It's a fun and windswept place :

1443698686_a245ca625a_b.jpg

1443701460_69cf00b990_b.jpg

-Geoff

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Secondly leaves, and light, under the trees on the Cabot Trail.

A sugar maple leaf floating in a stream.

1442866581_17a6aab7ca_b.jpg

Second and third, are images of a little stream. Long long exposure picks up the colours in the water with quite an interesting effect :)

1443731848_12a59721c3_b.jpg

1443735512_d05736e38d_b.jpg

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
All of them are gorgeous! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd pics...they seem so serene and the colors are very vibrant. And I do like the effect that the long exposure has on the water...reminds me of something from a fairy tale :)

Usehername

On a mission
These are the sweetest pics I've seen in a long while. Nice job!!

The maple leaf one is my fave by far. Although I did just change my desktop to the head-on pic of the stream (b/c i have a widescreen and it looks better than my fave maple leaf one).

What kind of camera do you use? Do you have a link on here talking about your photography?

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
Although I did just change my desktop to the head-on pic of the stream (b/c i have a widescreen and it looks better than my fave maple leaf one).

That's not a bad idea. It really is a nice pic.

The maple leaf is my favorite too. I love the sun shimmering on the stones and the ripples in the water.

I'd love to see more. Great job! Really, really great.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
What else can I add?

Gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Sahara

MBTI Type
INFP
The last two blew me away the most, I wanted to go there and wait for the elves to take me to their realm. :cry:

ygolo

My termites win
Great framing choices Geoff!

I am also impressed with how well you kept both the foreground and background in focus (with a Digital Camera :shock:?)

Mind if I steal the lighthouse ones for my computer wallpaper?
(I think they're the right aspect ratio).

Natrushka

Pareo cattus
MBTI Type
INTJ
It's a beautiful place, Geoff, and those are wonderfully shot pictures. Nicely done.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
All of them are gorgeous! I especially like the 2nd and 3rd pics...they seem so serene and the colors are very vibrant. And I do like the effect that the long exposure has on the water...reminds me of something from a fairy tale :)

Fun isn't it. This was about 20 seconds (tripod, obviously) at a very small aperture (lots of sharpness), and a polariser. Neat trick if you can make it work.

These are the sweetest pics I've seen in a long while. Nice job!!

The maple leaf one is my fave by far. Although I did just change my desktop to the head-on pic of the stream (b/c i have a widescreen and it looks better than my fave maple leaf one).

What kind of camera do you use? Do you have a link on here talking about your photography?

Thank you kindly! A Canon EOS300D (also known as a digital rebel in North America) which is a digital SLR. Usually my pictures are with a 17-40L lens (very expensive but the results are worth it, in my experience) and a polariser.

There is no specific link to my photography but search for threads started by me or look in this folder for some other examples.

That's not a bad idea. It really is a nice pic.

The maple leaf is my favorite too. I love the sun shimmering on the stones and the ripples in the water.

I'd love to see more. Great job! Really, really great.

Thank you. I cheated by the way, I dropped the maple leaf in the water and snapped as it floated away. I guess it isn't a bad cheat, just encouraging nature to be in the right place at the right time :)

The last two blew me away the most, I wanted to go there and wait for the elves to take me to their realm. :cry:

Heh. I thought you already were away with the elves.

Great framing choices Geoff!

I am also impressed with how well you kept both the foreground and background in focus (with a Digital Camera :shock:?)

Mind if I steal the lighthouse ones for my computer wallpaper?
(I think they're the right aspect ratio).

Sure, go ahead. PM me if you want the much higher res original. To get both in focus you need a larger exposure, plus as the digital camera has a 1.6 multiplier over a standard SLR that gives better depth of field too.

It's a beautiful place, Geoff, and those are wonderfully shot pictures. Nicely done.

I love Nova Scotia, it's a photographer's dream. But, thankyou.

What else can I add?

Gorgeous!

Thank you for sharing them with us.

Thank you!

Mighty Nice. :yes:

And you!

Majesty, Geoff. Majesty.

Hmm, I think I ought to post some more, now :)

-Geoff

lbloom

MBTI Type
INTP
Geoff,

What grade of neutral filter do you recommend for general daylight long-exposure photography? My camera does not go below ISO 200.

Is the second one polarized?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Very nice photos Geoff!

lbloom, I use a polarizer and small aperture to get long exposures without the need for a neutral density filter. Of course, I'm shooting with ISO 50 film . :)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Geoff,

What grade of neutral filter do you recommend for general daylight long-exposure photography? My camera does not go below ISO 200.

Is the second one polarized?

ISO200 is a little unhelpful, isnt it. Hmm.

I dont tend to use an ND filter. I am usually polarised which loses 2 stops. Then add a small aperture and... well... under the trees f22 with a polariser is frequently 5-15 seconds anyway :party2:

I like the idea of an ND grad for sunsets and the like, but have avoided making the leap because I dont want to spend hours fiddling with filters.

My usual tactic is just to handhold and leave the polariser on. Carry a light tripod so if the polariser costs me some shake I'll steady it rather than take off the filter. Ya, I know its not that professional but usually I'd rather have fun than spend hours playing with filters.

So therefore, yes, all of the 17-40L shots will be polarised. The zoom shots never are (I can't afford the loss of light with a zoom lens and the extra shake from the longer reach).

-Geoff