• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cat fur, everywhere!

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
It's on my clothes, bed, couch, jackets, carpets, every surface that I don't clean daily. Fur! Fur! Fur! It gets into everything! :steam:

Tiny whispy threads embed themselves and stick around even through washing. Bigger threads form a layer over all my stuff. I can pretty much ran my hand over anything and there will be fur. It makes my clothing itchy. It makes my sleep uncomfortable.

Determined cleaning and daily combing does help, but it only reduces the fur from OHGOD to lots. I need a better way to manage this. At least I have an air conditioner this year to avoid seasonal shedding.

Cat lovers. How do you minimize this impact upon your home?

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Two words: Lint brush.
Another two words: Air filter.

Also, brush your cats often. It minimizes the impact on the rest of the house. They'll shed on the brush, and not the furniture, you know?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Best solution: Don't allow animals in your bedroom.

It makes a huge difference for me as no cat hair is being put on my clothes when I’m not wearing them and definitely none is ending up in my bed. I use a throw rug for my couch that can be removed when I'm using it and wash that regularly, I wear daggy or anti-cat proof clothing while at home and I have a good washing machine/clothes dryer that removes everything when cleaned.

The pet free bedroom is key though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
The best way is to not have cats. After my cat-owning roommate and I parted ways, cleaning became SO much easier, and black became a more regulare presence in my wardrobe :)

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
I hear cat tastes better than dog. Or maybe it's the other way around, I can't recall it right now... But I couldn't eat my cat, so I'll only imply this as a solution.

A lint brush (and one for the car) and an air filter are the simplest, and most effective in my experience, plus a weekly vacuuming, including furniture.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I dunno..I have 6 cats, and although they do get things furry, it doesn't bother me that much. There's only one skirt I use for work a lot that attracts fur like mad, and that one I use one of those sticky roll things on to get it off before I go to work. Other clothes *do* have fur on em, but I wear it proudly :D
As for the bedroom, they sleep in my bed during the day. By the time it's too furry, I have to wash the sheets anyways so...It does help to make the bed every day, so it doesn't get on the sheet you lie on. And at the moment, it's summer so we have satin sheets on which don't hold onto cat fur anyways, so it slides right off.

Sorry, never bothered me :D

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno..I have 6 cats, and although they do get things furry, it doesn't bother me that much. There's only one skirt I use for work a lot that attracts fur like mad, and that one I use one of those sticky roll things on to get it off before I go to work. Other clothes *do* have fur on em, but I wear it proudly :D
As for the bedroom, they sleep in my bed during the day. By the time it's too furry, I have to wash the sheets anyways so...It does help to make the bed every day, so it doesn't get on the sheet you lie on. And at the moment, it's summer so we have satin sheets on which don't hold onto cat fur anyways, so it slides right off.

Sorry, never bothered me :D

Crazy cat lady! :nice:

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
Damn, I thought three was alot. All the cuteness is worth it *selfslaps*, I mean, cat fur fetches a high price.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a Maine Coon, and she has a heavy coat. I brush her every single night without fail and there's always at least one good brushfull of hair. That does help a lot. I also give wash her in the bathtub about every three months or so. She doesn't sleep with me at night but she does come to wake me up and wants to spend time with me snuggling in the morning, so a little cat hair gets on my sheets but not significant. I keep a quilt on the bed during the day and she sleeps on the quilt; at night I fold it up so my bed basically stays clean. I keep my clean clothes in an armoire with the door shut and when I come home from work, I take my clothes off and put them in the hamper the second I come in the door, before they have a chance to get fuzzy. I have a lint roller in the house, in the car, and at my desk.

Eternal vigilance is the price of teh kitteh luv, but it's so worth it...I can't do without the daily purr.

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
I'm thinking that the bulk of my discomfort may be allergies and not the fur itself.

I just went on a weekend trip, came home, feeling pretty good, sat down, and within about an hour I have a light cough. I may also explain why my sleep quality seems much better in summer when I can have the windows open. It's not like fur is getting out through my screens, but the fresh air would cycle out the dander faster. May sample some OTC anti-allergens and see if there's a difference.

I brush my cat often, but she still gives off hair like crazy. I can brush her, wait an hour, pet her, and fur will come off. Arrrgh. :steam:

Edit: Asking and looking around, I'm hearing good things about this Furminator thingy. I may try one of those for undercoat management!

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Get a hair/lint remover glove. It's made of fabric that is smooth if you rub it one way, but hooks and removes hair if you use it the other way- kind of like a fur of coat. You use the rough hooking direction to remove the hair, then wipe/rub with your hand the smooth direction to clump up all the hair that's been collected. I used this thing on my giant space rug once, and I ended up with a fist-sized ball of fur that could've been used a toupe. :D

Here's a picture of it, I found mine at Target
AntiFluffGloveForPetHairSmallImage.jpg

Also, I'm tempted to find a food-safe dye so I can completely dye my cat's coat black or something..

Feops

MBTI Type
INTx
Update - I picked up a furminator. It pulls out a lot of dead fur. The first couple days I used it I filled an entire wastepaper basket. Over the last couple weeks it's intercepted a lot of the fur that would normally get into/onto my stuff. I don't really have a way to measure, but it's a notable amount, maybe 75%? I'm hoping to see a huge improvement in general after a few more clothes washing / floor sweeping / carpet vacuuming cycles.

Decline: I've been using one of those. It works somewhat but doesn't quite grab at the thin whispy bits. Great for getting the bulk of the fur off furnature but just wasn't enough. I could grab a toupe worth of hair off my couch every few days!

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
Awesome, I'm thinking of buying one of those. Keep us updated.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My mother has an orange tabby cat named Peaches that I have dubbed "the Shed-o-potamus" because huge clouds of fur waft off of her at any given time of day, even when she's not being touched. It's probably Canada's fault.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
My eyes would be like Good Year blimps and my nose would backfire rapidly.

HINDENBURG!!!