• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Volcanic Sunsets

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Russia's Sarychev Peak volcano erupted June 12th and it's been creating lavender sky at sunset.

Volcano's Eruption Creates Colorful U.S. Sunsets | LiveScience

Volcanic eruptions can make for vivid colors at sunset, but I hadn't seen the lavender effect before. I shot these June 26th & 27th.

New Rome, MN

3679471030_a9b1978b66.jpg

3679470824_fbec0d84ce.jpg

Hamburg, MN

3679470224_2c9bd10c50.jpg

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Wow! Those pics are spectacular!

Got more?

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
That's wild!
I love sunsets and it never crossed my mind that such a thing as Volcanoes might be the culprit.

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
When I got the slides back I was amazed that the sky was so purple. It did look a little odd when I was out there, but the film really picked up the purple hue, and even accentuated it.

Last August when the Kasatochi volcano in Alaska erupted, I watched very pink sunsets for a few weeks. I had read about Sarychev Peak erupting, but didn't put things together until last night.

The image with the corn field is amped up a bit with saturation in Photoshop, but the sky had pronounced purple to begin with, and I couldn't resist how surreal this looked. In those top 2 photos, I only had to lighten the field to balance the image out.

Those were the best shots from that weekend, but I do have more photos at: Flickr: AjRagno's Photostream

I've photographed more than my share of sunsets...

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
Wicked images SurlyAdam!

... That explains why the sunset yesterday was so vividly red, but I missed the violet(mostly overcast)... It was awesome, I might get some pics later today to see if I can get the violet colours, I'll post them here if you like...

Do you think that the current amount of CME's(coronal mass ejections)that have been occurring lately have anything to do with how the sulfur dioxide is reacting with our atmosphere?

SurlyAdam

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Do you think that the current amount of CME's(coronal mass ejections)that have been occurring lately have anything to do with how the sulfur dioxide is reacting with our atmosphere?

WOW! I started reading up so I could give an informed opinion, but my brain began you ache, literally. I have no informed answers on this, sorry... I can say that that sunset and civil twilight are the most amazing time of day, and every sunset is unique. If anything does happen, you can only hope for about 60 seconds of the most spectacular color - beyond imagination. Then everything fades slowly.

Most of my photos are done 5 minutes before sunset - 1/2 hour after sunset (end of civil twilight). I do wish more people took the time to notice (in quiet) what happens at sunset.

I'm pleased ya'll enjoyed the photos.