• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Need a couple of really good meals

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I have a bunch of girlfriends flying in for the weekend, and I'd like to be impressive. :D Foreign is good, nut-free is good, easy is even better (but not completely necessary). I could google it, but I'm generally a fan of tried and true. :newwink: I have some level of skill, so it doesn't have to be "Cooking for dummies" caliber. :popc1:

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Mmm, sounds intriguing. Yes, on the grater. Can't say that I've cooked a lot of German food, which is all the more reason to give it a go.

Speaking of going...it's not going to cause digestive issues, is it? :shifty:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Mmm, sounds intriguing. Yes, on the grater. Can't say that I've cooked a lot of German food, which is all the more reason to give it a go.

Speaking of going...it's not going to cause digestive issues, is it? :shifty:

Well if you throw in a delicious Bavarian lager and some good cheese, German cuisine is basically man-fuel perfected with crippling Teutonic efficiency. I get emotional just thinking about it, the horrifying gas bombs are acceptable, indeed competition among men. Be warned.

lol

Seriously though, just spatzle, chicken, that awesome spargel sauce and some veggies would probably be different from what they are used to and its good food. :)

Saffronsocks

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
hahaha, yeah german food is great - I've had a perogi craving like crazy all week. Are perogis german or ukrainian, though...? Anyway, potatoes just aren't wrong, ever.

To impress though, especially in the summer, I'd go for Mexican! It's the easiest thing in the world, really colourful, and also spicy. Just make some refried beans, a neat-o papaya salsa and a regular tomato one with real chiles, or a chipotle chili... and guacamole. And fresh warm tortillas, and if you're feeling adventurous, frying your own tortilla chips! (cut corn tortillas into wedges, dip into lime juice + salt, drop into hot oil until crispy = best chips you've ever had / instant party atmosphere).

Potato Kale Enchiladas With Roasted Chili Sauce

I made these with sweet potatoes and black beans and it was probably the nicest thing I've ever made for a dinner. Like, magically good! They take a *wee* bit of time, but seriously it's worth it just to taste them... drenched in sour cream and extra enchilada sauce, with a bit o' cerveza in the other hand... :yes:

And margarita cupcakes for dessert!

Cupcakes:

¼ cup fresh lime juice
1½ teasp lime zest
1 cup soy, or rice milk
¼ cup canola oil
2 tbsp tequila
½ teasp vanilla
¾ cup sugar
1⅓ cups AP flour
¼ teasp b soda
½ teasp b powder
½ teasp salt

- preheat oven to 350 F.
- in a large bowl mix the wet ingredients (lime juice through sugar). in a separate bowl sift together the dry (flour through salt). Add the dry into the wet, stir just until smooth and spoon into cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20-22 minutes.

Margarita Icing:

1/4 cup margarine
1 tbsp soy or rice milk
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tbsp tequila
tiniest drop green food colouring
2 cups icing sugar
generous pinch to 1/8 tsp salt

- cream the margarine until fluffy with a hand held beater or a stand mixer. Add in the rest of the ingredients and beat until *really* fluffy, at least 5 minutes.

To Decorate the Cupcakes :::

- ice with the icing (once cool), and dip the rims in coarse coloured sugar, like a margarita glass. yum! :D

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've used this recipe several times. It's an easy one pot meal, and if you serve it with a big salad and some bread, you can get 6 servings out of it. Plus it's from the America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated people, and they never steer me wrong.

Chicken and Rice with Tomatoes, White Wine, and Parsley

Serves 4. Published March 1, 1998.

Though we rarely suggest stirring rice while it cooks, in this dish it is necessary, or the top layer might dry out or be undercooked. If you prefer, substitute two pounds of breast meat or boneless thighs for the pieces of a whole chicken.
Ingredients
1 whole chicken (3 to 4 pounds), rinsed, patted dry and cut into 8 pieces, wings reserved for another use
Table salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion , chopped fine
3 cloves garlic , minced very fine
1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes , drained (about 1 cup) and 1/2 cup liquid reserved
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon table salt
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
Instructions

1. Sprinkle chicken pieces liberally on both sides with salt and ground black pepper. Heat oil until shimmering in large, heavy, non-reactive Dutch oven over high heat. Add chicken pieces skin side down; cook, without moving them, until well browned, about 6 minutes. Turn chicken pieces over with tongs and cook, again without moving them, until well browned on second side, about 6 minutes longer. Remove from pot and set aside.

2. Pour all but 2 tablespoons fat from pot; return to burner. Reduce heat to medium; add onion and sauté, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, approximately 1 minute longer. Stir in rice and cook, stirring frequently, until coated and glistening, about 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes with reserved liquid, wine, salt, and 2 cups water, scraping browned bits off pot bottom with wooden spoon. Return chicken thighs and legs to pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add chicken breast pieces and stir ingredients gently until rice is thoroughly mixed; replace cover and simmer until both rice and chicken are tender, 10 to 15 minutes longer. Stir in parsley, cover pot, and allow dish to rest for 5 minutes; serve immediately.