• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

French Connoisseurs I Need Your Advice

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
So this girl thinks that I'm taking her out to a French restaurant, but what I am really going to do is prepare dinner at my place; she's really into French culture. Can anybody give me advice on what to do and prepare? Even cultural advice, furnishing, serving style, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
Firstly, this is adorable. Secondly, how well can you cook?

There are classically French dishes that you could prepare or buy store bought from a market (Lofino's, if you are familiar with it). Also, what you decide to serve depends heavily on the mood you want to create and the resources -- mostly time and effort -- available.

If you'e short on time, money or cooking skills, you could perhaps purchase escargot that's likely to already have a really delicious garlic butter and serve it with a sliced baguette; make this your appetizer. Again, depending on whether you want to seriously impress your date, or charm her with the sweetness of the gesture, you could simple serve a croque-monsieur, which is essentially a ham-sandwich, for the main course. For desert, finish with a store bought crême-brûlés.

Of course, this is not French way of dining, but I think the average francophile will understand the thought behind these basic ideas.
Typically, wine is served with meals, but again, what I have suggested is a very informal attemp to hint at French culture, so I wouldn't think serving wine in this occasion would be essential.

----edit:

Well, I'm posting this during the weekend, so if your date hasn't already happened, I am sure it's about to soon. Sorry for not getting the chance to post this earlier. I hope things worked (or work) out well in the end.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
All I know is you better not screw up the bread, and make sure there's plenty of butter on it~

am_i_evil666

You could try to prepare something French. I would recommend some Quiche Lorraine, I have tasted it and it is absolutely delicious and not too hard to prepare(I even tried it at home).
But don't worry, if she likes you, she won't care if the food is French or not. As long as it's good.

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Firstly, this is adorable. Secondly, how well can you cook?

There are classically French dishes that you could prepare or buy store bought from a market (Lofino's, if you are familiar with it). Also, what you decide to serve depends heavily on the mood you want to create and the resources -- mostly time and effort -- available.

If you'e short on time, money or cooking skills, you could perhaps purchase escargot that's likely to already have a really delicious garlic butter and serve it with a sliced baguette; make this your appetizer. Again, depending on whether you want to seriously impress your date, or charm her with the sweetness of the gesture, you could simple serve a croque-monsieur, which is essentially a ham-sandwich, for the main course. For desert, finish with a store bought crême-brûlés.

Of course, this is not French way of dining, but I think the average francophile will understand the thought behind these basic ideas.
Typically, wine is served with meals, but again, what I have suggested is a very informal attemp to hint at French culture, so I wouldn't think serving wine in this occasion would be essential.

----edit:

Well, I'm posting this during the weekend, so if your date hasn't already happened, I am sure it's about to soon. Sorry for not getting the chance to post this earlier. I hope things worked (or work) out well in the end.

I am not exactly the most scintillating cook out there, but I'm confident that if I put for the effort I can make an exceptional meal. A friend of mine works at a wine shop, so he's probably going to link with me with the best he has. The ham sandwich sounds like a good idea, but I was also thinking of rabbit.

I just hope she's not disappointed by my lie. The plan was to get her into the car, drive around the block and return to my apartment. This gesture would at least mitigate the effects of deception?

WithoutaFace

MBTI Type
INTJ
You could try to prepare something French. I would recommend some Quiche Lorraine, I have tasted it and it is absolutely delicious and not too hard to prepare(I even tried it at home).
But don't worry, if she likes you, she won't care if the food is French or not. As long as it's good.

That looks good; I will keep that in mind as well. Duly noted on your closing comment, this will be my test for the night.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, much appreciated. Good night!