• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Urban, Suburban, Village or Rural?

Where would you rather live?

• Medium to high density urban area.

Votes: 24 38.1%
  • Suburb.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Rural.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • Village.

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%

• Total voters

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
In my environmental planning course there has been a lot of talk about the evils of suburbia. Suburbs rely heavily on automobile transportation as public transport is either non-cost-effective or not very popular, which contributes to anthropogenic global warming (if you believe it is occurring). Suburbs also encourage sprawl that takes over fertile agricultural land or native areas. People in the suburbs are also unhealthier, they are more overweight as they are not able to walk to local services, to school and to work, as easily as one might in an urban area.

But I get the feeling that many - especially families - prefer to live in the suburbs because they are able to have a garden and lawn area. On the other hand, dense urban areas could have community gardens, roof-top gardens, large balconies, courtyards and public parks to replace the lost personal gardens.

Would you prefer to live in the suburb, the city or somewhere else? And why?

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't want kids, I don't appreciate nature and I do appreciate having a plethora of options as a consumer, social creature, and member of the work force. It's a no-brainer for me.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I like being in close proximity to a large city but when it comes to living, I prefer a nice suburban area.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't want kids, I don't appreciate nature and I do appreciate having a plethora of options as a consumer, social creature, and member of the work force. It's a no-brainer for me.

I know what you mean. I really didn't think anyone else out there thought this way. I guess I'm not as unique in this thought process as I had assumed... interesting.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Definitely a city girl here, even with kids. I like the anonymity and the choices. You can get, do, find anything you want or need, but no one ever has to know who you are or what you do.

S

Sniffles

I hate suburbs, so it's largely a contest between urban and rural in my judgement. Depends on what mood I'm in.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I love where I live, and it's a big city this point in my life I can't see me living anywhere else, and I also grew up in a medium size city so that's all I've known. I don't think I'd like suburbs but I could live in a rural area just fine. It's all or nothing for me.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I voted village because i think it a completley absurd/out of place term in modern times, hence the hilariousness involved when thinking of ANYPLACE in the US as a "village"

Like seriously, doesn't the title of village require you to have like, a local idiot, a town crier, and people running around in robin hood-esque clothes?

Do people REALLY want to live at the Rennaisance fair?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I picked "other."

I've lived in a variety of places, out in the country, riding a horse and exploring the woods as a kid.

The suburbs. Boring in of itself, but the area I lived in happened to be close to the mountains, the beach, and a big city. Driving is inconvenient,just in terms of fuel costs [I enjoy driving, a lot].

I like the city, but mainly at night when there are less people.. or the wee morning hours when virtually no one is out. Just something about roaming around a deserted sort of place that's going to be utter chaos in a matter of hours or minutes.

Essentially I picked 'other' because I could be all right living anywhere, quite simply because I wish to continue living in a variety of places throughout the rest of my life. It seems like moving a lot in youth has contributed to my being more open to that sort of lifestyle than friends I know who've never left their hometown, and lack any desire to.
That baffles and saddens me; I think they're missing out... I can't wrap my head around not wanting to go.. somewhere.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I live in the suburbs now. It seems to me when I used to live in the city, I wanted to l=get away from it all and live somewhere quieter and greener, and now that I do, I sometimes actually miss the city living.

It was easier to get around in, more options as a consumer, and yes it was even more community focused than I find it up here.

Where I live now, I have lived for over 4 yrs (not this house but in the suburbs) and I haven't made friends as easy because everyone already knows everyone and it's quite a close knit, no room for new people, kind of place.

In the city it was easier.

However I make myself feel better by convincing myself that it is better for my kids.

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
What's a village?How's it different from "Rural"?

Well when I say village I mean an isolated clustered small community in an agricultural area, whereas by rural I suppose I meant on a farm or on an isolated single property, perhaps a log cabin in the middle of a dense forest.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I live in suburbia. I dunno what sort of suburbs you people have been around, but I have everything at my fingertips. Downtown is only 30 minutes away for anything cool and event-y going on, but I still have the cozier feeling of a house with a lawn, and neighbors a bit more spaced apart. We have plenty of shopping centers, malls close by, community college, doctors, restaurants, etc. I almost never need to go downtown for more than the occasional concert of sorts. Everything's close by.. yeah, I might need my car a bit more than city folk do, but I ride my bike to just about everywhere I go when I'm doing close by..Things aren't so far away.

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
I grew up in suburbia, live in rural and I love rural though village would be ok too.

Kanamori

I like rural areas and big cities, though I wouldn't want to live in a big city for more than a few years.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Well when I say village I mean an isolated clustered small community in an agricultural area, whereas by rural I suppose I meant on a farm or on an isolated single property, perhaps a log cabin in the middle of a dense forest.

In that case probably Urban or Village for me. I don't necessarily feel the need to live in the midst of where all the action takes place (what with little things called cars and whatnot) but if I'm not gonna be in the big city I'd rather be in a place where I can be near nature without being completely isolated. But it really just depends on the place really.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Like where Falcarius lives now. On the outskirts of a rather small city (population 165,000), which is only a city because it is historic and a cultural hotbed, but it should preferably have a lot cheaper cost of living.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i'd prefer to live in an urban environment that had natural beauty surrounding it so...i could have a bit of both i guess.

Wonkavision

Retired Member
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Definitely an urban area.

I hate the suburbs.

Rural is nice, but only for a visit.