• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

my first thread: join me in abstaining from pork?

meat anyone?

• Total voters

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i dunno, guys. i've always kept my opinions to myself, for the most part, but in posting a pic today, i was alerted (reminded?) of how much i like pigs, how much i detest commercial processing, and how lazy i can be when it comes to eating conscientiously.

i'm not advocating vegetarianism, although think it's a pretty good idea. i'm not advocating gun control--we are a hunting family. i have simply decided i cannot abide eating pigs anymore. ironically, i raised a hog in ffa years ago in high school. although i loved her and cared for her for many months, i was not very invested in her life, and wasn't too sad to see her sold, although i knew what it meant, of course. i have, for years, annually bought a 'whole hog' from my local butcher up the road, although i cancelled my order a couple years ago when i drove by on 'processing day' and saw all the pink (seriously--pink) pigs awaiting their execution.

i love pork. it is my favorite meat. when i got on the mad cow bandwagon years ago, i found my culinary meat salvation in pork. peppered bacon, jimmy dean sausage, eckrich dinner sausage, bratz, dogs, pork roast, ham, pork chops, hot pork rinds, and, yes, even pickled pigs feet when i was a kid (yuck, daddy!) you name it, i eat/ate it.

so. i am posting this video and perhaps a pic or song or something to raise awareness of the plight of the piggies. won't you join me in leaving the pork off your plate?

GoVeg.com // Cruelty to Animals // Pigs

YouTube - Pig - Weezer

O

Oberon

My woman is a good woman. She cooks good salt pork in the dead of winter.

So no.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I am very strongly against unnecessary harm and cruelty to animals and the planet, but I have no problems eating any meat, or cutting down any tree.

I find no problem with it. It's apart of life. It's balanced, everything is fair game. This is a dog eat dog world, and we forget this, we forget that we are just another animal inhabiting this earth.

But that's my opinion. Everyone is entitled to their own, and I will not lose any respect for you if you are apposed to this. I don't think this will get far, though..a lot of people enjoy pork. If you don't want to eat pork, than that is fine. Just know that some people will probably disagree with you..and of course, some will agree.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm in. Thanks for this thread.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
If I stop eating pork will I help stop animal cruelty? No.

If we were so inclined, we could easily trace the manufacturing/preparation of most of our capitalist society's goods/products and find that, somewhere along the line, someone did something morally reprovable.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Pork meat is the best meat, as far as i'm concerned.
If there was just one pig left, I would eat it. ;)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My woman is a good woman. She cooks good salt pork in the dead of winter.

So no.

i forgot about salt pork. mmmmmmmm.........with a good pot o' beans.

:tongue:

I'm in. Thanks for this thread.

aw, thanks. i was starting to feel a bit lonely here.......:)........i don't usually do things like this, so it is quite weird. i'm fixing peppered bacon for breakfast for my family (cuz i already bought it, right?) and it will feel good to not indulge.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Why avoid eating pork altogether? Why not simply resolve to eat only humanely farmed pork? Your post makes it sound like the reasoning is your personal fondness for pigs. Which is a fine reason to avoid it altogether for yourself, but not much of a reason to implore others to avoid it. "Don't eat pork because I like pigs!" :)

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why avoid eating pork altogether? Why not simply resolve to eat only humanely farmed pork? Your post makes it sound like the reasoning is your personal fondness for pigs. Which is a fine reason to avoid it altogether for yourself, but not much of a reason to implore others to avoid it. "Don't eat pork because I like pigs!" :)

good point. did you watch the video? there is just something wrong to me, and i'm not pushing this on anyone else at all, with raising commercial animals and walking them over to the kill area, and slaughtering them.

i feel like this actually about beef and chicken and mutton too, but i only chose pork for this thread. i eventually hope to only eat venison or other wild game, but i am still weak and spoiled, and not quite ready to give up my commercial chicken from costco.

how about this? eat pork if you hunt and kill it in the wild. i can see that as more humane.

thanks for the input.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I didn't watch the video- I don't need convincing that commercial farming (of any food animal, not just pigs) is inhumane. I don't see a problem with humane, small-scale farming, though. We sometimes get pork from a local farm where my daughter went to summer camp last year, where I happen to know the pigs are treated very well and killed as close to painlessly as possible.

I don't hunt and I don't plan on taking it up. I don't see that as more humane than responsible farming.

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I didn't watch the video- I don't need convincing that commercial farming (of any food animal, not just pigs) is inhumane. I don't see a problem with humane, small-scale farming, though. We sometimes get pork from a local farm where my daughter went to summer camp last year, where I happen to know the pigs are treated very well and killed as close to painlessly as possible.

I don't hunt and I don't plan on taking it up. I don't see that as more humane than responsible farming.

yes, besides ethical hunting, i think local meat is the only way to go if you're gonna eat meat too. :yes:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wanna try "long pig" sometime.

O

Oberon

If it's a quick highway accident death on a winter day, then straight to the hospital morgue, then to the funeral home, it would be fresher than most of the meat in your supermarket cold case.