• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

what is your favorite flower and why?

Qre:us

I like Jasmine because of their smell:
Jasmine.jpg

I like lotus (not to be confused with water lilies) because of how grandoise they look and because they wade in the water. I'm a water baby! They also smell nice.

Esp. blue lotus:
blue_lotus_thumb.jpg

Lotus:
LotusFlower.jpeg

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I like lotus (not to be confused with water lilies) because of how grandoise they look and because they wade in the water. I'm a water baby! They also smell nice.

Are you a Buddhist or a Muslim?

I mean, how is you social background?

---

As a matter of fact, I do not find the lotus flower to be very interesting. The leaves, however, have fascinating properties.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Do you mean what religion is followed by my parents?

I mean: what is your cultural background.

I already know you pretend everywhere to be an atheist, but I would be curious to see how some symbols and values continue to permeate the so-called atheistic Qre:us, how they are transmitted and why?

Questions of questions of questions. Even flowers can ask some... Especially Jasmine and Lotus. :yes:

I mean: what is your cultural background.

Hinduism, with a sprinkle of Bramho Samaj (as contradictory as those two are to each other) - that there is my cultural soup.

I already know you pretend everywhere to be an atheist, but I would be curious to see how some symbols and values continue to permeate the so-called atheistic Qre:us, how they are transmitted and why?

Pretend? Uh...ok. By the way, either you don't know what atheism means or you think that atheists can't take values and symbols from all walks of life (including religions). Either conclusion is wrong.

Questions of questions of questions. Even flowers can ask some... Especially Jasmine and Lotus. :yes:

Obviously not interesting ones...as per your lotus.

sculpting

I like Jasmine because of their smell:
Jasmine.jpg

I bought the most beautiful jasmine and had to give it away as I couldnt stand the smell. It was like the worst truck stop men's room deoderant spray ever.

Ah, the associations we make...

I bought the most beautiful jasmine and had to give it away as I couldnt stand the smell. It was like the worst truck stop men's room deoderant spray ever.

Ah, the associations we make...

HAHAHAHA!!!

When I smell truck stop men's room on something, I'll wrap it in a bouquet and send to you. (as we seem to have the opposite smell radar)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Peonies! Lush and ethereal at the same time. They sometimes have a too-much-ness about them that I love combined with their delicacy. I could stare at peonies all day.

Booya - what is the third flower in that series? Those grow in my parent's garden, but I don't know what they are...

Jasmine - love the way it smells, too. Qre:us, maybe try A La Nuit (perfume) bu Serge Lutens or Amoreuse by Delrae - the latter if you like your jasmine thick and indolic.

peo6.jpg

peo5.jpg

peony1.jpg

peo2.jpg

peo4.jpg

peo7.jpg

peo3.jpg

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ It's a passion flower. (named for the Passion of the Christ, not the interesting kind of passion)

And no I'm not booya, but neither is booya, half the time.

And thanks for making me nauseous with all that putrid pink confection.
(I did like the last one tho)

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hee hee, sorry Blue. I'm quite sad and predictable with my love of all things pink. *rolleyes at self*

Thanks for IDing the passionflower, too. :)

sculpting

hybrid_yellow_primrose.JPG

Lilac33.jpg

lilac and yellow primroses (both which smell like heaven and last all of two days in tejas)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
also honeysuckle...i adore the smell of honeysuckle outside.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
morning-glory.jpg

Morning glory, because we have them on my front porch step this year... I think. :yes:

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I like the bird of paradise
cfiles30519.jpg

Strelitzia reginae (South Africa)

and other strange-looking exotic flowers
DSCN3579.jpg

Hymenocallis littoralis, the Spider Lily (Mexico)

Passiflora coerulea, the blue passion flower (Eastern USA)
One of the only specie of passion vine able to thrive under a temperate climate. The fruits are edible, but tasteless.

weirdflower.jpg

orchids too

Calliandra emarginata (Mexico), the Powder puff.
It could also be an Archidendron grandiflorum (Australia -almost the same family as the previous [Mimosoideae]), but it's rather unlikely.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
The corpse flower...

The titan arum or Amorphophallus titanum (from Ancient Greek amorphos, "without form, misshapen" + phallos, "penis", and titan, "giant")

Titan-arum1web.jpg

It's huge. It's scientific name means giant misshapen penis. It smells like rotten meat and blooms like once a year at most. What's not to love?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This is the coolest looking flower I have ever seen in my life!

524788660_9ff8120da1.jpg

Jasminum sambac (India), the Arabian Jasmine

Despite what the name of the link seems to suggest, this plant is not a Calla, but a Zantedeschia aethiopica (South Africa).

Bauhinia variegata (S-E Asia), the Orchid tree (although genetically, it's not related to orchids at all).

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
The corpse flower...

It's huge. It's scientific name means giant misshapen penis. It smells like rotten meat and blooms like once a year at most. What's not to love?

One day, you'll grow out of adolescence, you'll see. :rolli:

Even ENTPs can do it.

---

But the inflorescence of the Titan Arum is not that awful. You have to get close to it to actually smell something.

Its only contestant, however, is far more repulsive (both in shape, colour, and texture). It's the Rafflesia arnoldii, which happens to grow in the same ecosystem (equatorial rainforests of Sumatra and Borneo).

50609-QZD06042_RCP05066-26-010_Rafflesia-arnoldii.jpg

This flower is pretty rare in the wild, and unknown in cultivation (it's a parasite). But believe me, you can detect its presence way before you see it. The stench is so powerful it can attract flies miles and miles away.

---

But the most awful odour comes from one of the largest known orchids, the Bulbophyllum beccarii, which uses the same trick than our Rafflesia and Arum. Coincidentally (or not), this plant also originates from the jungles of Sumatra and Borneo.
Orchids are more sophisticated and complex than any other family of plants. When they do something, they do it very well. So when one of them wants to smell like a corpse, it's doing it very effectively. The stench of these flowers has been compared to "a herd of dead elephants", and even human noses can detect it one hundred meters away.

DSC_9072.jpg

So Ladies, if your loving one says he wants to offer you orchids, beware. If it's a spike of B. beccarii, I'm not sure how you should interpret the message, maybe a call to personal hygiene?

Last edited: