• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Malpais Insectopedia

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You mean the yellowish one?

It looks like the nymphal stage of a unindentified leafhopper. It could also be a treehopper... but again, since this is only a nymph, it's hard to tell.

---

And the green metallic bee just above it is probably a male Euglossine (Orchid bee), considering the fact we are in Costa Rica, and the specific shape of its hind legs.

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
You mean the yellowish one?

It looks like the nymphal stage of a unindentified leafhopper. It could also be a treehopper... but again, since this is only a nymph, it's hard to tell.

---

And the green metallic bee just above it is probably a male Euglossine (Orchid bee), considering the fact we are in Costa Rica, and the specific shape of its hind legs.

Thanks! I am not sure if it is a leaf hopper though as they are supposed to include "wings folded over its back in a tent shaped manner. In some species of leafhoppers the wings may be colorful but all species will have the presence of jagged looking spines along the back legs." and this one doesn't appear to have that...

Here is a representative staging of instars: BioOne Online Journals - External Morphology of Tagosodes orizicolus (Homoptera: Delphacidae) Revealed by Scanning Electron Microscopy

Do you use taxonomic utilities? 3I Interactive Keys and Taxonomic Databases I don't, but think I might learn as I love entomology :)