• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Weird Spider -- Should I Kill It!?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It looks a lot like this, only it's legs and thorax are entirely black, the abdomen is black on the bottom but bright red on top with a block spot in the middle, and it has teal (greenish-blue) coloured eyes. I just found it in my window seal.

4398813.jpg

:wubbie: what a cute widdle feller.
Only kill wolf spiders. They're jerks. The cellar in the house I'm staying at presently's infested with 'em for some reason.
There's a spider egg sac in the corner of my room beside my bed.
I'm sure it's one of theirs.
So yeah, just the brown, hairy, evil hunting spiders.
Cuz they'll GET YOU. :yes:

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
If it's still there now it's already dead.
No, it's quite alive! Last night it went off somewhere but now it's back to crawling on my window pane. I guess it likes that spot.

:wubbie: what a cute widdle feller.
Only kill wolf spiders. They're jerks. The cellar in the house I'm staying at presently's infested with 'em for some reason.
There's a spider egg sac in the corner of my room beside my bed.
I'm sure it's one of theirs.
So yeah, just the brown, hairy, evil hunting spiders.
Cuz they'll GET YOU. :yes:
What about black widows? I see a lot of those too.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wolf Spider with babies, Rrrrraaaaaaawww! I found one like this once in the bathroom and squished it, many of the babies dispersed and what ensued was mass spider bloodshed even before their first instar, so wrong but it felt so right.

Wolf%20Spider%20with%20babies%204-23-08%201.JPG

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wolf Spider with babies, Rrrrraaaaaaawww! I found one like this once in the bathroom and squished it, many of the babies dispersed and what ensued was mass spider bloodshed even before their first instar, so wrong but it felt so right.

:sick:

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Well I think the fact that you didn't kill it yet means you'll probably leave it alive... :alttongue:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Let it walk up on a piece of paper and then take it outside. Don't kill it...

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Ohmygawd. That is the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Aaaaghhhhhh! Stop quoting that pic

Not good, not good, not good *rocks back and forth*

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like spiders. They are useful and harmless (the ones in the Netherlands.)

We don't have poisonous black widows and whatnot. We have some spiders around the house that don
t web, but eat lotsa mosquito's. They're pretty big but otherwise harmless for humans. I love them! Rather have a bunch of them in my room, then a mosquito. :)

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*shudder*

When I was a kid, I couldn't even touch PICTURES of spiders in my large science books, it freaked me out too much; I'd open the pages with a ruler and stare from a distance with morbid curiosity.

Sort of like now, sitting about 3' away from my monitor just in case this crazy thing somehow jumps at my face, and yet unable to look away. :(

The science lesson is definitely interesting, though. I didn't know all those facts about jumpers.

You're almost like my wife. And she couldn't look at these pictures at all, and can't even stand to hear the word "tarantula". And she freaks at the wispy little beige house spiders we used to get in some of our apts. We are so lucky in NYC not to have these hideous things they have elsewhere. The ones in Sydney are outright deadly from what I hear!
Where in the USA is the OP from? It's hard to tell how big that first one is.

The jumping spiders around here are basically ant-sized. So they never bothered me, and I always thought they were cool; how they appear to fly away when you put your finger near it. (Had one hanging down on a strand from the kitchen ceiling once, and wifey made me wash it down the drain, because I had no quick way to get it to the window fast enough for her! :mad:)
The thing most scary about bug encounters is her reaction, and not knowing what/how big it is. One time I thought I heard her saying "spider, spider', and I dragged my feet, and she was actually saying "fire, fire"! (a napkin on the stove caught fire). One buggish thing she called me for turned out to be a half-eaten grape!:doh:

maliafee

Jumping spiders are amongst the most fascinating and sophisticated invertebrates. They are the only one amongst their category than can stare at your face, thanks to their very developed eyes (which can perceive details and colours with high resolution).

And even if they are very small, their brain can weight up to 25% of their body mass. These creatures don't rely only on instinct (like insects would do), they can learn, they are often very curious and have a complex mating ceremony.

So please, don't kill it. Jumping spiders are harmless, funny to observe and can help you get rid of some annoying flies and mosquitoes.

I killed one once (that looked just like the opener post described with the green eyes), and felt AWFUL. I didn't really want to do it, but I didn't know what it was and it was close to my kitten and I didn't know if it was poisonous.

I still wish I'd let it live. It was big and really cool and I was so sad afterwards...

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Animals that watch YOU are always interesting. It's recognition that we find compelling even if they're just thinking something completely alien beyond our ken.

God is this ever true. It makes the little hairs on my arms stand up. Sometimes it even makes me say something like "stop. looking. at. meeeeeee. RIGHT NOWWWW!" and then run away.

If one is terrified, one can always use a cup (must be see-through) and a paper so there is no chance of skin to skin contact. I do this. I've even done it with wasps before, and those evil little fuckers deserve to smashed ruthlessly.