• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fellow dog owners.........

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I need some advice.

My beauty, Princess, pulls so hard on her leash whenever we go out for a walk. I took a friends advice and bought a training lead, which goes around the mouth and stops her from pulling because it yanks her head to the side if she tries to pull too hard.

Now it is working, and walking has become a doddle, but I hate seeing her so restrained.

She used to sniff trees and try to explore in great eagerness, and now she can't even sniff stuff. I feel bad for her. :cry:

Is there any other way to teach her not to pull so hard on a regular lead?

My dog did this too when I first got her. She had a normal leash and collar and would pull every which way. Then my boyfriend talked me into getting her a Martingale collar which is what he used for his Australian Cattle Dog:
phpjoZn3V.jpg

You can also find them with a cloth only variety, where the "choke" area is cloth rather than metal. It has helped significantly. That and the fact that I force her to sit next to me for at least 30 seconds every time she tries to dictate what direction we're walking in.

Took time and patience, but eventually I won the power struggle. And that's basically what it is. Good luck Mon!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
=( I like the treat idea more.. I dislike choking of my dogs, I can't bring myself to do it. I don't think her enthusiasm is something to be seen as a bad thing, so I can't punish her for doing it. The leash limits her to as far as I want her to go, and the harness makes pulling her back easier on both of us. I'll just have strong arms :) and she'll just be hyper.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
Yeah I don't like collars that choke, tighten, etc. But the breed she has, is one of those that no-one wants to see out of control.
stbult.jpg
And that has a bad reputation already.

It would be sad if she lost her dog because she was out of control, and scared someone. Then some "do-gooder" called whatever her version of animal control may be.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My dog's got a healthy dose of Pit Bull Terrier in her. I cannot let her get out of control if only because of the bad reputation. She's a sweet dog, but a bit addle-brained and has nearly gotten herself killed once before by breaking free of my grip and running straight into NYC metro traffic.

/agree Biaxident I also love her too much to cost us our (very strictly run) apartment (building) i.e. her home as well as mine, or a panicked stranger's call to Animal Control.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In the end, there is no best way anyone can give you through a forum. Just ideas and advice. But since each dog is unique. It's up to you to find the method you, and your dog, are most comfortable with.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
In the end, there is no best way anyone can give you through a forum. Just ideas and advice. But since each dog is unique. It's up to you to find the method you, and your dog, are most comfortable with.

DOG TYPOLOGY.

My dog is totally ISTJ.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
From my 5 german shephards, I'd classify 3 of them as ENTJ's. Their the pretendo macho's that always try to prove themselves. And do a lot of exagerating too!

The oldest and 'alpha' dog around the house is a ESFJ. Completely in control.

And the fifth, the youngest, he's just so ESFP. Cute though.

They are all very externally focused. But I think that's normal for dogs that are around other dogs. Or maybe even dogs in general. :)

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
not that this helps but my dog does the exact same thing. drives me nuts. she'll tug till she passes out or falls over.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Watch The Dog Whisperer.

I have a little toy Maltese and I think she's an ESFP.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Oooyy. I understand the bad-rep thing. =( My aunt's dog is sweet as can be, but she's part coyote and in her prime very hyper and zealous, so my aunt had a lot of trouble with neighbors that disliked the dog.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
If noone's mentioned it yet, I recommend a pinch or prong collar (not to be confused with a choke chain). Like this: How to fit a Prong Collar. I walked dogs for a summer and the woman I worked for swore by them. At first I thought they looked inhumane. The reason they are so effective is that they only pinch the dog's neck if the dog pulls too hard on the leash.

Otherwise it lays flat and doesn't hurt at all. Also, it only hurts for a short time (seconds) because as soon as it starts pinching the dog slows down in order to stop it. So the dog quickly learns to stop pulling when wearing one with a minimum of discomfort for the dog.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Can I add my own different doggie question or does that constitute thread derailment?

My dog has been a lot better on walks since I started doing practice walks with him in the backyard. We walk the perimeter of the yard and if he goes all the way around without pulling at his leash he gets a treat. I also did little doggie obstacle courses with his toys and treats scattered around the yard. If he didn't get distracted and go after them I would reward him.

(I think he's an ESFJ.)

StoryOfMyLife

MBTI Type
INfJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can I add my own different doggie question or does that constitute thread derailment?

My dog has been a lot better on walks since I started doing practice walks with him in the backyard. We walk the perimeter of the yard and if he goes all the way around without pulling at his leash he gets a treat. I also did little doggie obstacle courses with his toys and treats scattered around the yard. If he didn't get distracted and go after them I would reward him.

(I think he's an ESFJ.)

I was going to suggest practice walks, as well. I've got issues with one of my dogs pulling A LOT, but he is half husky, half Great Dane [don't even ask...]. The choke chain method has worked on him. Usually after a few minutes of him pulling too hard that the choker chain has been engaged, he figures out that he doesn't like it and that it doesn't get him anywhere. Nevertheless, it is something I have to do every time we go out...

My Welsh Corgi, however, has learned how to walk beside me almost immediately. A few gentle tugs back with the command of 'heel'- with a couple of times to stop in my tracks to get her to stand exactly where she is supposed to be- has seemed to work quite effectively. I think it will depend on the breed [staffies are not, by any means, a 'dumb' dog...I mean, every breed has exceptions, but they are quite smart--if not stubborn and exciteable...and sooo sweet!].

The choker chain method isn't for everybody, though. As fluffy mentioned, some dogs will pull regardless and it won't get you anywhere. The pronged collars [I'm sorry, I don't really agree with those, but..] may be more effective, but if the dog is going to pull no matter what, the pinch may not be enough to stop them and they could wind up hurting themselves. Try different techniques, but don't go stir crazy and try a different one each time you go for a walk. That could just end up confusing the poor puppy. Perhaps choosing one and trying it out for a couple of weeks before deciding whether you've made any headway or not before changing to something else would be more ideal.

Practice walks in your backyard, or even in a place where there are very limited sights/people around could help as well. Also, it wouldn't hurt to try teaching basic obedience indoors and reinforcing good behavior with praise and treats. Eventually, your dog should catch on that when she does what you want her to, she'll be rewarded- or even that she's much happier when you're satisfied with her behavior.

maliafee

My dog did this too when I first got her. She had a normal leash and collar and would pull every which way. Then my boyfriend talked me into getting her a Martingale collar which is what he used for his Australian Cattle Dog:
phpjoZn3V.jpg

You can also find them with a cloth only variety, where the "choke" area is cloth rather than metal. It has helped significantly. That and the fact that I force her to sit next to me for at least 30 seconds every time she tries to dictate what direction we're walking in.

Took time and patience, but eventually I won the power struggle. And that's basically what it is. Good luck Mon!

We tried this on our very aggressive Border Collie when I was a kid and she only became more aggressive. The only thing that worked was positive reinforcement (i.e. treats)! :wubbie:

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A husky enjoys pulling, they're instinctively driven to it. Most husky's would keep pulling, choke collar or not. Your husky must be a rare case. :p

Agreed. I have a Malamute mix and he would strangle himself on a choke collar because pulling is totally instinctive for him. We tried the Gentle Leader and it stopped him from pulling but it also made him so unhappy it wasn't even worth it. So we bought a special harness with straps that go around the front legs so when he pulls, he actually lifts himself off the ground and can't go anywhere. It works like a charm and doesn't kill his spirit. :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Update

Ok, dog number 1 - Princess, was the original dog in the OP. She is no longer pulling on the lead, and even walks off lead following commands quite well so that's a success story.

Now, we have a dog number 2 - Roxy, she is a year and half old, half staff half labrador, absolutely beautiful, but malnourished and badly trained, and I swear she looks slightly psychotic somtimes. :eek:

Some lady who lives on my road approached us because she had seen us with our other dog, and figured us for good caring owners, she had the dog but couldn't care for it.

I'm talking such bad care, that the dog didn;t have any vacinations until we took her off the woman last week, ergo the dog hadn't even been for a walk in the entire year and half of it's life so far. :steam:

Fortunately she is used to kids, but not to cats, and there have already been 2 attacks on the cats I do own, so now the cats stay upstairs, and the front room door remains closed, and we have to make sure they don;t meet up anywhere until we can train her to accept the cats.

So, this is my new advice question, does anyone have any experience with introducing a dog so late, to the current house cats, if so what do I need to do?

I would love to be able to keep her on, I have fallen for her hook line and sinker, but not at the cost of my cats lives, so something needs to be done pronto.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
phpjoZn3V.jpg

Martingale collar and the pinch collar recommended below are what was recommended to us at the AKC dog training class we have our dog registered in. The pinch collar is especially good for bigger dogs who have lots of fur and skin around the neck area where they wouldn't even normally feel a collar. Neither of them are 'choke' collars, the collar can only tighten a very short amount before it stops, so it can't crush the dogs windpipe. Normal choke chains are a BAD idea and can hurt the dog.

I have a yellow lab who loved to pull on the chain, and the very first time she pulled with the pinch collar on, she immediately stopped and her behaviour on a leash is improved TREMENDOUSLY. They have to be fitted properly though, with enough room to put your finger loosely through their neck and the prongs on the collar. When it tightens, it doesn't choke so much as resemble a slight closing of 'teeth' and it works wonders.

The great part about it, is that so far it's the only collar my dog hasn't been able to slip out of. We tried everything, even harnesses, and she was able to turn and back out of them and run out of reach. Small corrections with a corrective word are all it takes to get her attention.

The site mentioned below also has what is called a 'Dominant Dog' collar, which you might also want to read up on and watch their video for.

If noone's mentioned it yet, I recommend a pinch or prong collar (not to be confused with a choke chain). Like this: How to fit a Prong Collar. I walked dogs for a summer and the woman I worked for swore by them. At first I thought they looked inhumane. The reason they are so effective is that they only pinch the dog's neck if the dog pulls too hard on the leash.

Otherwise it lays flat and doesn't hurt at all. Also, it only hurts for a short time (seconds) because as soon as it starts pinching the dog slows down in order to stop it. So the dog quickly learns to stop pulling when wearing one with a minimum of discomfort for the dog.