• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

moving

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
so I have three possibly four options

1.)hire movers, but alot of them seem pricey and I don't know if I can trust them. So any reccomendations would be great

2.)Find someone with a truck or van that can also help me move furniture

3.)rent a uhaul ask people I know to help move my s pay them like 20$ an hour to help move my furniture

4.)wait until my mom comes up and move then (but she doesn't know when she's coming up and it might not be until after this lease is up).

5.)"accidently" catch it on fire and buy new stuff (though I'll still have to get it into my new place and don't think I can afford to replace, bar stools, a desk, a bed, some shelves, and a tv stand. )

I have no clue what I'm doing.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Get recs from people you know and hire movers. It is such an enormous pain in the ass to move yourself. I feel a slight rage coming on just thinking about it.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
How far are you moving? How much stuff are you moving (how many bed rooms)?

Try looking for movers on Craigslist.

With the exception of furniture, house plants, and pets box everything two or one week(s) in advanced. You can get boxes for free at grocery stores and other business that get a lot of shipments. Just ask. Pack heavy things in small boxes and lighter things in bigger boxes. Pack boxes into the truck first and create a wall in the very back, then load furniture. Also when you get moved save your boxes, if not damaged, until the next time you have to move.

It is such an enormous pain in the ass to move yourself. I feel a slight rage coming on just thinking about it.
Moving yourself is painful but is much easier with one or two other people to help. In my experience with two people it takes a full day to pack a three-four bedroom house into the largest size Uhaul. But it is still a lot of hard work. You will be sweaty and nasty by the end of the day. :D

3.)rent a uhaul ask people I know to help move my s pay them like 20$ an hour to help move my furniture
Get your friends to help you. They will make the best cheap labour. $20 a hour? Psh. Try to not go higher than $10 a hour.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I've moved so many times I think I can safely say that using a moving firm this last time was the best and easiest thing I ever did.

They came round a few weeks before with plenty of boxes, I also hired some packing crates for my valuables.

They were slightly early on the day, but all in all was one of the most stress free moves I have ever had.

Done the friends (and they did it for free since that's what friends are for) but we got more drunk than useful so that didn't go to well. Hired a van but got let down by some people so I lost half of my goods. :rolleyes:

Anyway my recommendation goes to the professionals, worth the money.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
How far are you moving? How much stuff are you moving (how many bed rooms)?

Try looking for movers on Craigslist.

With the exception of furniture, house plants, and pets box everything two or one week(s) in advanced. You can get boxes for free at grocery stores and other business that get a lot of shipments. Just ask. Pack heavy things in small boxes and lighter things in bigger boxes. Pack boxes into the truck first and create a wall in the very back, then load furniture. Also when you get moved save your boxes, if not damaged, until the next time you have to move.

Moving yourself is painful but is much easier with one or two other people to help. In my experience with two people it takes a full day to pack a three-four bedroom house into the largest size Uhaul. But it is still a lot of hard work. You will be sweaty and nasty by the end of the day. :D

Get your friends to help you. They will make the best cheap labour. $20 a hour? Psh. Try to not go higher than $10 a hour.
I'm moving 6 blocks just to a new building.Plus I only need help moving furniture I already know my current room mates and I'm subletting so I'm able to take smaller things over myself. I have a bed, a desk, a tv stand, a tv(is actually very light so I may be able to take that over myself), some shelves and a floor lamp (But i think I can take that apart)
I've moved so many times I think I can safely say that using a moving firm this last time was the best and easiest thing I ever did.

They came round a few weeks before with plenty of boxes, I also hired some packing crates for my valuables.

They were slightly early on the day, but all in all was one of the most stress free moves I have ever had.

Done the friends (and they did it for free since that's what friends are for) but we got more drunk than useful so that didn't go to well. Hired a van but got let down by some people so I lost half of my goods. :rolleyes:

Anyway my recommendation goes to the professionals, worth the money.
I don't know which of the professionals I can trust, so many horror stories.

file cabinet

this is what I do when I move:
1. Rent U-Haul (or other) truck:
It is a good idea to make this reservation at least 15-30 days before you move as the availability of trucks is significantly less when you try calling them an hour ahead of time. I have done the reservations online twice for U-Haul with no real problems. They will call you to confirm the reservation and tell you if the time you are trying to reserve is actually available.

Penske and Budget are alternative truck rental companies that may be available in your area. I would probably only try placing a reservation online or going there in person to get a reservation. I've waited as long as 45mins on the phone for U-Haul (ick).

2. Get 3-4 friends to help you out. Pay them in pizza/beer/whatever at the end of it.

3. Moving is stressful. Don't be surprised if something breaks.

4. Leave enough time at the end for cleaning up your previous apartment to get the deposit (if applicable).

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
this is what I do when I move:
1. Rent U-Haul (or other) truck:
It is a good idea to make this reservation at least 15-30 days before you move as the availability of trucks is significantly less when you try calling them an hour ahead of time. I have done the reservations online twice for U-Haul with no real problems. They will call you to confirm the reservation and tell you if the time you are trying to reserve is actually available.

Penske and Budget are alternative truck rental companies that may be available in your area. I would probably only try placing a reservation online or going there in person to get a reservation. I've waited as long as 45mins on the phone for U-Haul (ick).

2. Get 3-4 friends to help you out. Pay them in pizza/beer/whatever at the end of it.

3. Moving is stressful. Don't be surprised if something breaks.

4. Leave enough time at the end for cleaning up your previous apartment to get the deposit (if applicable).

+1!