• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can a new species emerge?

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Can a new species emerge in today's age, not (a) showing itself for the first time, but (b) coming into existence for the first time, branching off an older species, and how long would it take?

I'm asking this out of fear. My cat and dog have been getting awfully close.

I'm fairly certain that new species are emerging all the time, especially if you count microbes. I don't think you have to worry about your dog and cat making something new though.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Can a new species emerge in today's age, not (a) showing itself for the first time, but (b) coming into existence for the first time, branching off an older species, and how long would it take?

A very long time, so don't worry. If your cat and dog are 'successful' they will only produce infertile offspring and they will likely be very special. And when I say special, I mean retarded and deformed.

I wonder if we will create a new species.
The closest we've gotten so far is mules. But technically a mule is not a species.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Catdog_300.gif

You want one. You know it. Twice the loving and none of the cleanup.

No seriously, what about like, ligers and tigons? The female ones are capable of reproducing... Or some really over inbreed dogs?

But yeah, I don't think you can really draw a line between new species and old species from an up-close standpoint. It's really sort of arbitary at best.

deleted
Catdog_300.gif

You want one. You know it. Twice the loving and none of the cleanup.

I don't care that somewhere in another dimension is a walking pair of shitting asses, and nobody has been able to slaughter it yet. Or is that why they stopped making episodes? The fact that they require food and eat it implies a vortex within their core, thus a slaughtered ass will spill the feathers.

Last edited:

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP

The problem I always had with CatDog is that you always see them eating, but never does one shit out the other's effluence. Is there a stomach in there? Bowels? Or is it just a throat the whole way through, and if it is why don't they have the same voice?

These are questions that just seem to have been swept aside by the animators.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
The problem I always had with CatDog is that you always see them eating, but never does one shit out the other's effluence. Is there a stomach in there? Bowels? Or is it just a throat the whole way through, and if it is why don't they have the same voice?

These are questions that just seem to have been swept aside by the animators.

Hell, I've been mulling that over since the first time I read Dr. Doolittle.

It's just not right.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Maybe they're just uber-efficient. They use all their nutrients and expell waste all in gaseous form. Or as sweat.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
Maybe they're just uber-efficient. They use all their nutrients and expell waste all in gaseous form. Or as sweat.

This is similar to what I was thinking after posting - an incredibly efficient digestive system. One good burp and it's all gone.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We must find this creature and dissect it's amazing digestive system! Kill the golden goose.:angry: Lemons, submit the demon spawn for the good of science.

deleted
All the sex takes place in another dimension. That's why cat is always angry and dog is always happy. Don't you read the fine print?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

Species only seem distinct because we have such a small view of time. It is all constantly changing.