• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Support your local ____?

Do you support local events?

• Never. I don't even think about it.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I don't really care, but I do when it's more convenient for me.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Well, if I need it either way, I'll probably go local.

• Usually. Unless it becomes outrageously expensive or *too* out of my way.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Yes! I go local! I do it at every opportunity.

• Total voters

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Inspired, slightly, by Geoff's question in the organic's thread. I have this tendency to support things like this. If I see there's a starving artist venue, I'm more likely to go to this and buy art than I would be to go grab it just any old day.

I go to the local farmer markets for produce whenever I get the chance to, since the prices are sometimes lower than at ye locale wal-mart, and I get my car washed by the high school kids holding up the sign on the side of the road.

My mentality just seems to be "If I'm going to do this anyways, I might as well support my more local community in the process of it all." Car Spa and Wal-Mart won't go out of business if I get my stuff somewhere else, and I get what I want either way I go.

So what about ya'll? Do ya'll even put that much thought into this sort of thing?

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
Their's a farmer's market up here from march-october and I keep telling myself to get off my lazy ass and go to it and get my fruits and veggies.

ps. I keep reading this thread as Support you local Jesus

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Hahaha!! I thought I would write this in the title, but backed it out ;)

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I should go to farmers markets. Bel Air/Whole Foods organic produce is expensive and not nearly as fresh. I make an occasional stop, but it has definitely been awhile.

When I went to school in San Rafael, I was sort of turned off by the "buy local" movement. We were lectured about buying local A LOT... it was annoying. I asked a question about Whole Foods (since it claims to stock food from local farms/bakeries/etc.) and the lady was a real bitch about it. So, I temporarily adopted the vegan/PETA/animals-should-have-rights argument to discredit her environmental claims. (She had talked about buying local meat. I really don't care if people buy/eat meat, but because she was so nasty I decided to be mean about it.)

As far as other local events... I like the runs... sometimes they benefit non-profits.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
To OP: Ooooh... what do you do here in our area? I love the sound of the concept.

faith

MBTI Type
INFJ
My local XYZs are much more convenient, as Wal-Mart is in the next town 20 miles away. Unless the prices are way more expensive at home, it's not worth what I'd spend on gas and effort and annoyance to drive to Wal-Mart. OTOH, if I do make it to Wal-Mart, I usually buy a lot so I don't have to go back for a while. My local building supply somehow manages to beat the prices of the big places AND offer fantastic customer service. They're great.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I just do what feels right, sometimes local, sometimes not. I like farmers markets for the produce, but not necessarily because it's local community.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
support your local _______Abortion clinic!!____

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wal-mart. support your local wal-mart.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
My local XYZs are much more convenient, as Wal-Mart is in the next town 20 miles away. Unless the prices are way more expensive at home, it's not worth what I'd spend on gas and effort and annoyance to drive to Wal-Mart. OTOH, if I do make it to Wal-Mart, I usually buy a lot so I don't have to go back for a while.

This is similar to how I operate, although the distances involved for me are waaay smaller. I love my little local supermarket, which is a few hundred metres away from my house. It's slightly more expensive than the big supermarket (a couple of kilometres away) but it's so quick to get a few bits and pieces and the family who runs it is friendly and has great service. I loathe going to the big supermarket, so my partner goes there every few weeks and buys a lot of non-perishable stuff in one go.

I'm also concious that as the financial crisis starts to hit here, some shops are going to go under. I'm making more of an effort to support the shops I'd really hate to lose.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
To OP: Ooooh... what do you do here in our area? I love the sound of the concept.

I do the farmer's market thing when I have the time to do so. I get my car washed in the summers by high school kids raising money, and often attend venues that are advertised.

I don't go REALLY out of my way, but I do try to support here and there. ;) especially the car washes because I know how much it sucks standing out there all day waiting for customers.