• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Smells or aromas that evoke feelings

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
`

sometimes I'll be in certain parts of town like a shop or something and the
potpouri will make me think of this scratch 'n sniff book I had when I was
like four or early gradeschool age where it was about this grey cat with str-
ipes and one of the things you had to scratch was this flower bed. I can't
recall the name of the book but maybe that's why I like those "scratch to
experience the fragrance" things that come in fashion magazines or in Avon
catelogues. Brings back a peice of the innocent days and I feel calm and
relaxed.

ENTJ

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
The only smell that seems to evoke feeling in me is rain. It makes me introspective.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Baby shampoo, damp earth, Dial soap, Tide detergent, stinky bob (the plant, not the homeless guy up the street), newsprint, and (original scent) Windex are all things that evoke a combination of feelings and memories as soon as they hit my olfactory receptors.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
-The smell of rain.
-The smell of a body of water (ocean, lake, river).
-The smell of burning wood on a fall day.
-The smell of earth after a day of rain.
-The smell of tall grass in the wind.
-If it's late fall, the smell of something sweet, cinnamon-y and nutmeg-y baking.

Trefle

MBTI Type
INFJ
hmm, in my case it evokes...person. Sometimes past crushes >_>; not pleasant at all due to the emotion / unrequited feelings evoked. It's the smell of sun (when it's a little burnt) and another smell I can't say what, but sometimes I just smelled those and "....damn."

Of course, there are another unrelated to crushes;the smell of vanilla sometimes reminded me of my sister.

And then the feelings; the most usual would be the smell of rain; it evokes a feeling of melancholy and calmness at the same time.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whenever I smell diesel fuel, I'm reminded of my time in Northern Ireland, standing in the bus station after school. It also reminds me of being in the garage, when everyone was working. Sometimes the boys would take staggered smoke breaks, and when it rained, with the roll-tops up, I could smell warm engines, cigarettes and rain coming in on the breeze. It was extremely comforting. The garage was like a huge bunker for giant metal elephants. When it was thundering outside, I never felt uneasy in there. Things moved slowly at those moments.

I feel that way about the smell of horses too.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Whenever I smell my SOs perfume [Clinique Happy] I look around for her and my body immediately thinks she's around and gets very excited. But then I realize it's someone else. And I become sad. :sadbanana:

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Drakkar Noir on any man (though he may not be personally attractive at all to me) is sexy, which is weird, and I'm assuming it's connected to memories.

The smell of a wood burning stove reminds me of being a child.

The smell of freshly mowed grass and gasoline cans reminds me of my grandfather.

There's also a certain kind of cinnamon smell - though not the kind of strong air freshner cinnamon smell which I hate - (and at other times a lilac scent has a similar effect) that makes me feel inexplicably comforted and I have no idea why.

I love the smell of rain, the smell of autumn coming, and the smell of clean hotel rooms and air planes.

I'm really put off by certain perfumes because they remind me of someone from my childhood that I strongly disliked.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
-
-The smell of a body of water (ocean, lake, river).

Oh, totally. I will run with nostrils flaring to the scent of the ocean, even if I smell it distantly coming from a river after a rain storm. I love the smell of the ocean.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Whenever I smell my SOs perfume [Clinique Happy] I look around for her and my body immediately thinks she's around and gets very excited. But then I realize it's someone else. And I become sad. :sadbanana:

Aw. There, there, sad banana. Go look at Boo's burrito and be happy again. :D

The inside of my ENTP's truck smelled just like him - warm, sweet like hay, soap, unsmoked cigarettes and exhaust. That was nice. I'd get calm all over. The inside of my ISTP's car smelled that way too.

Eiddy

Pronounced eye-ee-dee
MBTI Type
DEAD
Enneagram
1w2
Vanilla and sometimes Cinnamon.. Oooh and then there is Cocoa butter my favorite..

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
This going to sound really wierd lol but the smell of sewage/waste reminds me of morocco. :blush:

Sometimes I'll be near the thames and the smell will hit me and I will have a Si moment where I am in morocco, and my imagination overlays the imagery all around me so that nothing exists but that moment.

Also the smell of sardines cooking remind me of the beach since you could always get flame grilled sardines on your way to the beach. Same thing, the Si moment overwhelms me and I am there again.

There are more smells and moments, but usually it's like a de ja vu moment, where I'm not aware of the connection until it happens.

P

Phantonym

The smell of freshly cut grass and peppermint tea always remind me of my childhood. Idyllic :wubbie:

am_i_evil666

Wow, there are so many smells that remind of different things, but it is really hard to remember them all right now.

So I'll just say the smell of freshly cut grass, which seems to remind everyone about their childhood, makes me remind the times when I went to the countryside, when I was little.

I also love the way snow smells, it also reminds me of my childhood, since the last few years it hasn't snowed for real in here.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The smell of a woman's neck, just after they dry off from a shower, that is ths source of olfactory bliss, the site where the best phermones are generated. :yes:

Rikka

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
cardamom, cinnamon, and any blend of distinctly Indian spices reminds me of when i was a child, and walking through Indian shops to get some ingredients with my mother. Also, old Indian ladies with chapped hands, and the stern Pakistani ladies at the mosque.

Rosewater is the strongest for me, and reminds me of being in mosques, and having everything (even the food) be rosewater scented. I have a bit of an aversion to it now, since I'm wholly atheist, and the smell reminds me of my parents power over me when i was little.

Musty, woody and spicy smells mixed together reminds me of my mother, shopping in department stores when i was 5, and hiding in the clothing racks.

lachrymose_liar

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
pipe tobacco
pies in the oven
gasoline
campfires
rain (during and after)
fresh basil or cilantro
warm earl grey

i guess i like most of these scents because they incite a feeling of comfort or nostalgia

Nijntje

Warflower
MBTI Type
CRZY
Enneagram
4w5
The ocean, the smell along with the rhythmic sound of the waves is the one surefire thing to get me off to sleep easily (i have moderate insomnia)

The way it smells just before and just after rain or a thunderstorm, or what it smells like when it snows and the air is so crisp it could slice your lungs (i grew up in a desert so the first time i saw snow - at 21 - i was in heaven)

Jasmine. It just makes me happy with it's heavy, heady scent, so, soo good.

New or really old books, it's just comforting.

The smell of baking bread or onions & garlic cooking, without fail makes me hungry every time.

How my SO smells. I think when i fall in love with a person i fall in love with how they smell. I love burying my face in an SO's jumper or pillow and just breathing deeply when they're not around, and when they are, nuzzling into their neck so as to be as close as possible to the source. Makes me feel safe and happy and giggly and in love all at once. :wubbie:

staytuned7

Wood smoke is absolutely no.1 on my list. It takes me immediately back to the cottage my family had throughout my childhood in Northern Ontario. My family is Finnish, so sauna was a huge part of that experience. It was family time. It was one of the best feelings in the world, going from 80C to the cold lake water. If there is one thing I miss the most, it's that experience. Every time I smell wood smoke, I'm transported back there and I start to feel deeply nostalgic and a little sad.

That's the only smell I can think of that evokes THAT much emotions from me.