• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Guinness

Do you find Guinness tasty?

• I find Guinness really tasty

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • I don't find Guinness so much tasty

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I haven't drunk Guinness yet

Votes: 5 11.4%

• Total voters

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, you know guys, you are from the angloamerican zones , so "Irish school" is somehow natural to you, but we have different beer giants here, like Pilsner or Kelt, maybe we and you are just used to something different..

cheers:cheers:

You're right. The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell for instance), but the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact.

O

Oberon

You're right. The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in Czech Republic (Pilsner Urquell for instance), but the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact.

You must work on those social skills, blackz.

You see, if I had wanted to state this sentiment, I would have put it rather this way:

"My favorite beers are the Czech products such as Pilsner Urquell. Although it isn't widely known, the Czechs are some of the best brewers in the world."

Your phrasing includes an assertion of objective truth, "The best beers in the world are by far those brewed in the Czech Republic...," which puts you in the presumptive position of Arbiter of Absolute Truth in all things beer-related. Also, your phrasing includes an accusation: "...the angloamerican zone usually ignores this fact." It may also be that this opinion is not widely shared because the Czech products are not well-known in the west. There is no need to accuse anyone of intellectual dishonesty or snobbery.

My phrasing, on the other hand, is the perspective of one who is sharing a personal opinion, but also is willing to allow the hearer to have his or her own personal opinion which may differ from yours without causing any interpersonal friction.

EDIT: Now it's time for you to laugh at me for being a pompous ass.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Dear Oberon,

If we listen to your reasoning, I'd say your perfectly right.

But I think you are aware of the ENTP playful nature, that could lead us, for instance, to deliberately exaggerate a fact just for the sake of arguing, and titillate our dear Angloamerican friends, especially if the thread is light, convivial, and do not require subtle thoughts.
Let's take a beer thread, for instance...

But again, if I were an ENTP answering this previous ENTP, I'd be aware of that, and I'll try to exaggerate my answer the other way: for instance I could be overly rational, precise and factual to every details.

Now the question is: What would an ENTP answer to an ENTP who has already answered to another fellow ENTP?

[We should call it the meta-meta beer thread?]

Last edited:
O

Oberon

Well, it was either reply as I did, or flatly assert that the best beers in the world are at present brewed in the United States.

Which, as anyone with any sense can see, is so. :D

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I disagree with both of you... I hate all lagers- they're icky :tongue:

Now a good dark ale is a thing to shiv someone for :drool: I'm going to have to stick with the British Isles, but I'm NOT saying that Guinness is the best ;)

Some American microbreweries do a lovely job with thier ales as well though, which I can respect, buy and drink quite happily!

O

Oberon

You wouldn't be disagreeing with me, whatevs. I'm an ale man to the end... top-fermented is where it's at.

But based on what I've had here in the US, the domestic products from Victory Brewing Company and Dogfish Head and Dominion and Weyerbacher really do top the list. To be fair, I have never had any UK brews in their native environments.

ragashree

Reason vs Being
MBTI Type
Mine
Enneagram
1w9

Now a good dark ale is a thing to shiv someone for :drool: I'm going to have to stick with the British Isles, but I'm NOT saying that Guinness is the best ;)

Some American microbreweries do a lovely job with thier ales as well though, which I can respect, buy and drink quite happily!

Hey, don't be too down on the good European lagers though. Seriously, have you ever tried a proper Czech Budweiser, for example (as opposed to its bland, rice-puddingy American namesake?). Some of that stuff can be pretty good, which is not to say I would want to drink it exclusively, but it can be nice for variation! Agreed on the British dark ales though (and not a few of the lighter ones as well - Young's Special London Ale springs very easily to mind here:)). I tend to think that the good Belgian beers(including, but not limited to, the Abbey styles) are very comperable to the British ales in terms of style, range, and quality though. I'd be hard to put to say which I would prefer given equal price and availability.

Indeed the American microbrewed stuff can be pretty good, much better than the insipid mass-marketed stuff they usually send us. There are a couple of larger companies I wouldn't knock though. Anchor (they of Steam Beer fame) seem to put a decent amount of effort in, and the Samuel Adams brews are probably the best widely available American draught beers. I would quite happily choose several products of the latter company in preference to all but the VERY best of British draught brews... And in preference to Guinness, for what it's worth - my opinion on the later will always be essentially "Oh, well, if that's all they've got that won't poison me..."

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
Does a Guinness measure a pint glass or does a pint glass measure a Guinness???

Travo7

MBTI Type
IN??
Enneagram
IDK
Well, you know guys, you are from the angloamerican zones , so "Irish school" is somehow natural to you, but we have different beer giants here, like Pilsner or Kelt, maybe we and you are just used to something different..

cheers:cheers:

Do you have czechvar where you live? Possibly the most drinkable I've come across.

Guinness: It's like liquid pumpernickel (sp?). I love it.

Lozzy

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Guinness is fantastic. I tend to drink ales more when I'm down the pub though.

Has anyone tried a 'fluff'? I was introduced to it a while back. You get a pint glass, add half a pint of coke, flatten it (important!) and fill the rest with Guinness. Ice is good. It sounds awful but it's actually quite tasty.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Guinness is alright (especially if you want to have a low alcohol beer) but I prefer a Terrapin Wake-n-Bake (oatmeal coffee stout) or a Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout when in season (and it just so happens that is now). Those beers both pack a punch, though.