• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thanksgiving?

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Over here in the Uk of course we dont have thanksgiving - it sounds a really lovely time - can you tell us over here in 'blighty' what its all about and what's special about it?:)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes. This is the easiest question I will get all today.

Just when it starts to get dark and cold, all your family gathers together to share the biggest meal of the year. Your grandmother and your aunts stay up late and get up early to cook the most wonderful assortment of foods you only get one time a year (turkey, cornbread stuffing, 3 types of pies, etc.) and each year you get to see how everyone has grown and changed. Lots of hugs, playing dominoes, watching football together even though I hate football, napping. You smile and laugh so much your face hurts.

I like it even better than Christmas.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
Sounds like you get to have xmas twice a year!!:dry:
have a good one!

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
In my family, the extended family (3 generations) only gets together for Thanksgiving. The individual families bud off and do their own thing on Christmas.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
My favorite holiday all year. No gifts, no cards, no church service, no extras.

Just 1 day of food and gratefulness and 3 of relaxation.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yea, this lazy aspect is probably the best thing about Thanksgiving.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp

I see the appeal - I think Christmas is ruined by the gift giving - stressful to do - all that bloody shopping - and wasteful generally - the amount the children in my extended family got last year was obscene really - totally agree that its the company and relaxation thats important

In our house boxing day is like this - we all meet and play daft games, walk the dogs together and eat delicious stuff we dont usually eat the rest of the year - and get tipsy on some good wine!:happy0065:

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
bronte, I love your avatar. :wub:

We don't usually have a big gathering. It's just me, the hubby, and our four kids. We celebrate a day late because my husband doesn't get Thursday off. He cooks the turkey. I cook the other stuff. We buy a pumpkin cheesecake and sometimes have birthday cake since our sons' birthdays are on the 24th and 29th. We might watch a movie together or get in the van and drive through the park to see the Christmas light displays.

This year my ENFP friend that I haven't seen in eight years and her three children are coming to spend the holiday with us, so it will be different than usual. I am so excited to see her again.

bronte

MBTI Type
infp
bronte, I love your avatar. :wub:

We might watch a movie together or get in the van and drive through the park to see the Christmas light displays.

This year my ENFP friend that I haven't seen in eight years and her three children are coming to spend the holiday with us, so it will be different than usual. I am so excited to see her again.

Its the princess and the pea by arthur rackham (he does beautiful but slightly creepy illustrations of fairy tales - this is my favourite - thanks!)

Sounds lovely - I think we're really missing out in the UK - its the middle of winter and it seems a long time until xmas!

Have a good one :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Yea, this lazy aspect is probably the best thing about Thanksgiving.

Even with all the work involved I have to agree. Watching the Lion's lose and eating is what it's all about.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Over here in the Uk of course we dont have thanksgiving - it sounds a really lovely time - can you tell us over here in 'blighty' what its all about and what's special about it?:)

It's a traditional holiday that's based on a feast where the early settlers dined with the Indians. The foods we eat at Thanksgiving normally are not the foods that were served at this feast, ironically.

Basically, people get together with their families and eat turkey, stuffing, and and cranberry sauce.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

I see the appeal - I think Christmas is ruined by the gift giving - stressful to do

Both of these. Thanksgiving is rare among holidays these days - it's "big" enough that people make an effort to get together, but it's not commercialized. In fact, pretty much the worst thing about Thanksgiving is that it's the traditional start of the Christmas season and the inevitable slew of advertising and unmeetable expectations that surround Christmas (as I'm writing this, a commercial for our local news is giving advice on how to "get ahead" this weekend and "get an advantage over the other shoppers" for post-Thanksgiving Christmas shopping :sick:).

:yay: for Thanksgiving :).

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
It's a time to count your blessings and give thanks for our loved ones and for everything that we've been given.

Oh yeah, and to eat humungously too, of course. ;)

FFF

Fight For Freedom
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
watching football together even though I hate football

Yes, there is football, and I generally like it. This year it looks like the games are gonna suck, though. The Detroit Lions and the Dallas Cowboys always play on Thanksgiving for some reason.

The 10-1 Tennessee Titans, who suffered their first lost last Sunday, get to take out their rage on a poor, pathetic 0-11 Lions team. Won't it be a shame if the Titans lose, though?

The 7-4 Cowboys will be playing the 2-9 Seattle Seahawks for what will probably be another lopsided game, but not as bad as the first one.

At night the Cardinals are playing somebody, but who cares since nobody can watch it except the few people out there with the NFL network.

LucrativeSid

I miss work (without pay) and spend time at my Grandma's house with my mom's family. It's kind of a shitty deal all together. It's only better than Christmas because it's usually not as snowy.

encrypted

MBTI Type
intj
i enjoy the holidays this simple reason:
- i am bold enough to reject invitations to squander my time.. and therefore , i am left to enjoy the silence of the absence of traffic, children , neighbors. Truly a time to celebrate by creating something elegant and/or destructive.