• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Winnebagos and Win A Bagel

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This is a thread to talk about RVs in general - the pro's, con's, limitations, horror stories, etc. I still think it would be great to just drive my little house around and then I wouldn't have to worry about a moving truck, but I would probably break the axels if I stuff it too full? This can go off topic, but if someone knows about these, it would be helpful to know how easily they break.
Cheers

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
This is a thread to talk about RVs in general - the pro's, con's, limitations, horror stories, etc. I still think it would be great to just drive my little house around and then I wouldn't have to worry about a moving truck, but I would probably break the axels if I stuff it too full? This can go off topic, but if someone knows about these, it would be helpful to know how easily they break.
Cheers

looked into this seriously a few years before the divorce. its not conducive to any kind of hoarding. every ounce of weight is fuel economy and less space. Not to mention the potential difficulties of cats. The other aspect is, if you go this route, make sure you enjoy the other people doing it. because theyre your neighbors and friends now; because the road is your home; and not everyone likes the rv lifestyle and tend to try to make it difficult. Being able to live a life fun and fancy free on the road is against the dictates of the godmachine, and thats something to consider as well.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
looked into this seriously a few years before the divorce. its not conducive to any kind of hoarding. every ounce of weight is fuel economy and less space. Not to mention the potential difficulties of cats. The other aspect is, if you go this route, make sure you enjoy the other people doing it. because theyre your neighbors and friends now; because the road is your home; and not everyone likes the rv lifestyle and tend to try to make it difficult. Being able to live a life fun and fancy free on the road is against the dictates of the godmachine, and thats something to consider as well.
Good advice. My main focus isn't so much embracing the "on the road lifestyle", but more confusion and indecision about where to live and feeling too lazy to pack. I'm not so much a gypsy due to idealism, but being genuinely confused and lost.

giphy.gif

The Cat

Staff member
Good advice. My main focus isn't so much embracing the "on the road lifestyle", but more confusion and indecision about where to live and feeling too lazy to pack. I'm not so much a gypsy due to idealism, but being genuinely confused and lost.

giphy.gif

Ime the complications don't care about your motivation. :shrug: I wish you luck regardless, but it's not really something one should do with indecision...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ime the complications don't care about your motivation. :shrug: I wish you luck regardless, but it's not really something one should do with indecision...
I know you're right. It does seem like a lot of technical knowledge is needed to:
1. Effectively drive the vehicle (wondering if requires a different class license because perhaps it should?)
2. Maintain and clean the utilities: sewage, propane, and water, and knowing where to access refills, where you are allowed to park, etc.
3. Purchase a used one safely being able to evaluate it structurally and then not overload it.

I saw a few on craigslist that were tantilizing. One was 27K, but only had 38K miles on it, looked really beautiful, was 30ft long, so looked like I could almost actually live in it with instruments, etc.

The logistics of getting a moving truck and finding an apartment are also daunting and going to add up to a lot of money, but the technical issues related to the RV won't occur in that context. I appreciate your cautions. I'm a bit overwhelmed about most of my options right now. Yeah, I do think an RV is a bit much for me to handle, but so is everything else.

The Cat

Staff member
I know you're right. It does seem like a lot of technical knowledge is needed to:
1. Effectively drive the vehicle (wondering if requires a different class license because perhaps it should?)
2. Maintain and clean the utilities: sewage, propane, and water, and knowing where to access refills, where you are allowed to park, etc.
3. Purchase a used one safely being able to evaluate it structurally and then not overload it.

I saw a few on craigslist that were tantilizing. One was 27K, but only had 38K miles on it, looked really beautiful, was 30ft long, so looked like I could almost actually live in it with instruments, etc.

The logistics of getting a moving truck and finding an apartment are also daunting and going to add up to a lot of money, but the technical issues related to the RV won't occur in that context. I appreciate your cautions. I'm a bit overwhelmed about most of my options right now. Yeah, I do think an RV is a bit much for me to handle, but so is everything else.

Some people do try to cut deals with rv parks and camps, to work for a place to park; one of our biggest issues was how difficult it would be on the cats. Further it's expensive enough once all things get sorted out that you will be sort of stuck doing it till you can afford your way out of it, also, you will be more or less losing your permanant address which is a thing you'll need to keep in mind for job applications/ future employment.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some people do try to cut deals with rv parks and camps, to work for a place to park; one of our biggest issues was how difficult it would be on the cats. Further it's expensive enough once all things get sorted out that you will be sort of stuck doing it till you can afford your way out of it, also, you will be more or less losing your permanant address which is a thing you'll need to keep in mind for job applications/ future employment.
I know my cats would not like the driving part. I was sort of picturing loading it up here, but somewhat liveable and letting the cats be free in one room instead of small kennels during travel, then driving to where my sister lives near the Rocky Mountains, parking it somewhat permanently on a campground while I lived there, and then if I needed to move back to the northern Midwest next year, somehow keeping my university gig through it all, I could just drive it back across the country and park it permanently in a campground like spot here too, so that it would be conceptualized more like a mobile home that is moved and parked, than traveling the U.S. with sight-seeing. I don't think I can pull that off though, but on the surface can you see how it sounds simpler than hiring movers, finding apartments and signing leases and then doing it all again next summer. It's going to cost $5k each time i try to move as a bare minimum, so just hiring movers and paying deposits and then a year of rent or a couple of years could easily be $27 and I'd have nothing to show for it. That's how my reasoning goes, but I stress out driving anyway, so would be anxious driving an intergalactic ship at interstate speeds alone across the U.S. with sad, stressed out cats on board.

Edit: Unfortunately my cats are going to be subjected to the same amount of road time regardless. It's just a matter of how they are packaged in and what vehicle it is. Right now it looks like they will be in dog sized kennels with small litterboxes in my van with tons of mother cat calming pheromone spray for all of us.

The Cat

Staff member
I know my cats would not like the driving part. I was sort of picturing loading it up here, but somewhat liveable and letting the cats be free in one room instead of small kennels during travel, then driving to where my sister lives near the Rocky Mountains, parking it somewhat permanently on a campground while I lived there, and then if I needed to move back to the northern Midwest next year, somehow keeping my university gig through it all, I could just drive it back across the country and park it permanently in a campground like spot here too, so that it would be conceptualized more like a mobile home that is moved and parked, than traveling the U.S. with sight-seeing. I don't think I can pull that off though, but on the surface can you see how it sounds simpler than hiring movers, finding apartments and signing leases and then doing it all again next summer. It's going to cost $5k each time i try to move as a bare minimum, so just hiring movers and paying deposits and then a year of rent or a couple of years could easily be $27 and I'd have nothing to show for it. That's how my reasoning goes, but I stress out driving anyway, so would be anxious driving an intergalactic ship at interstate speeds alone across the U.S. with sad, stressed out cats on board.

Edit: Unfortunately my cats are going to be subjected to the same amount of road time regardless. It's just a matter of how they are packaged in and what vehicle it is. Right now it looks like they will be in dog sized kennels with small litterboxes in my van with tons of mother cat calming pheromone spray for all of us.

Surface sure, but that's not where you'll be when you're in the heart of it. Space is a premium and smell and heat will be very much a factor.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, so we have established that to adopt the Winnebago life means you will be stinky, use the F-word most of the time, and be a tormentor of pets. We got some Winnebago hate. Let's hear the love. There has to be at least one person out there about to snap, start making meth, who thinks the Winnebago is the way to go.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Btw