• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

I need urgently improve physical security over my place of business

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I don't have lots of money to throw around. THere's not such an immediate threat I might go to the police. On a scale of urgency from 0 to 10 the threat has risen from the usual level of 0 to 3. What I mean that a guy might throw a brick thru my businesses glass wall, enter and do some havoc.

I have a security camera which goes to a service which I paid 15 euros a month, but I'm not paying right now. So if I were to re-install that service, the camera footage goes to the cloud where I can retrieve it.

What other options do I have to respond to an immediate, low-level threat which threatens a property that's hardly worth anything? I just want to avoid an interruption to my business for the most part.

My business is programming and doing consulting of it business at my place. I sit there and program and talk to a web camera. The talks are about IT solutions and business proposals. I hardly get by, so I would like to avoid a threat where that place of business (a room) is destroyed or otherwise compromised.

And yes, using that service 15 eur a month doesn't make me broke, but it also doesn't accomplish everything. So what does accomplish something?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
So let's hypothetically plan for the situation where I had a wife and I wanted for that wife to stop sneaking into my office, walking to the safe and stealing cash. This is just super hypothetical and a really ridiculous scenario, hahah! lets all laugh at me!

Ok so what can I do with this place, when there is no cash in the safe anymore but there are other items worth stealing

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
So let's hypothetically plan for the situation where I had a wife and I wanted for that wife to stop sneaking into my office, walking to the safe and stealing cash. This is just super hypothetical and a really ridiculous scenario, hahah! lets all laugh at me!

Ok so what can I do with this place, when there is no cash in the safe anymore but there are other items worth stealing

depends on whom you're trying to hide what from. Also what kind of safe is it? how big is the room? What are the points of egress/ingress etc?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Insurance? You should have it regardless but you can find affordable coverage for what you are describing.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
-a gun safe with no guns. It used to have money though. Now it has canisters of natural gas and other combustible items. My wife has a key to the safe.
-the place of business is on ground level in an apartment block in a peaceful neighborhood, not visible from the street. My wife has the key to the place of business as well.
-wooden door
-glass window
-electronics worth 10k max, perhaps less. I absolutely rely on them to earn money. I don't have replacements for them, and I don't have money. I could make backups of some critical stuff, prepared to buy a laptop or so that I could work elsewhere if the need appeared.
-If I had to use the replacements instead of the original equipment I have there, I would lose most of my earnings, and suffer inconvenience. It isn't easy to work on some old laptop when you've used to having full equipment available to you.
-how would I improvise the surveillance? SHould I direct the web camera towards the door, leave the computer on and let it record? Where would the recording end up? I don't have computers anywhere else.I don't thin I can access a zoom meeting's recording on the web. If my wife entered the place with intent to do some damage, she would see the web camera and the local storage. So the storage would have to be elsewhere. Or, I would have to stay day and night at my place of business (which I don't want to do).
-tired at the moment. I don't wanna sleep at my office for even one night.

The Cat

Staff member
-a gun safe with no guns. It used to have money though. Now it has canisters of natural gas and other combustible items. My wife has a key to the safe.
-the place of business is on ground level in an apartment block in a peaceful neighborhood, not visible from the street. My wife has the key to the place of business as well.
-wooden door
-glass window
-electronics worth 10k max, perhaps less. I absolutely rely on them to earn money. I don't have replacements for them, and I don't have money. I could make backups of some critical stuff, prepared to buy a laptop or so that I could work elsewhere if the need appeared.
-If I had to use the replacements instead of the original equipment I have there, I would lose most of my earnings, and suffer inconvenience. It isn't easy to work on some old laptop when you've used to having full equipment available to you.
-how would I improvise the surveillance? SHould I direct the web camera towards the door, leave the computer on and let it record? Where would the recording end up? I don't have computers anywhere else.I don't thin I can access a zoom meeting's recording on the web. If my wife entered the place with intent to do some damage, she would see the web camera and the local storage. So the storage would have to be elsewhere. Or, I would have to stay day and night at my place of business (which I don't want to do).
-tired at the moment. I don't wanna sleep at my office for even one night.

is the door solid wood or hollow wood, what kind of door knob? interior locks? basically there should be a few ways you can theoretically reinforce your door if getting a metal door isnt possible rn. Is it a display window? Does it have shutters or storm doors?

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Insurance? You should have it regardless but you can find affordable coverage for what you are describing.
I do have insurance, but it lacks a a bit in coverage.
I can't get the IP camera / the relevant storage to work right now. Would be cool just to register someplace with no fee, a place which allows the storage of webcam & other video materials.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
is the door solid wood or hollow wood, what kind of door knob? interior locks? basically there should be a few ways you can theoretically reinforce your door if getting a metal door isnt possible rn. Is it a display window? Does it have shutters or storm doors?
The window is the weak point, it's a window on the ground level. The door might be opened with a crowbar with some work and knowledge, and some strenght. The window can be opened (in the meaning of breaking the glass) without any skill at all, no proficiency required in anything, you just need to be a child of age 4 or more with a stick

The Cat

Staff member
The window is the weak point, it's a window on the ground level. The door might be opened with a crowbar with some work and knowledge, and some strenght. The window can be opened (in the meaning of breaking the glass) without any skill at all, no proficiency required in anything, you just need to be a child of age 4 or more with a stick

If you have a display window, you can always reinforce it with a few sheets of durable plexiglass:thinking:

the door with the crow bar is an easy thwart with a few strategically placed bolts...

the window is indeed the weak point. :mellow:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If you have a display window, you can always reinforce it with a few sheets of durable plexiglass:thinking:

the door with the crow bar is an easy thwart with a few strategically placed bolts...

the window is indeed the weak point. :mellow:
This sounds sensible, thank you! The immediate threat is over, but I will definitely have to reserve money for this kind of plan in the near future.