• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Removing Smoke Smell from Clothes

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is there a way to do it?

I got this awesome corduroy shirt/coat from Salvation Army last night, got it home, and realized that I was smelling smoke heavily from it. I don't smoke, don't like the smell, and don't like the thought of others smelling me smelling like smoke.

Is there a way that can cut down or remove the smell, or am I hosed? (At least it was cheap, not a big loss... but I really LIKE it and would salvage it if I could.)

GargoylesLegacy

Kickin' Ass since 1984
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w9
Normally I just hang Stuff out of the Window for a few Hours.
Oh or you could use this Febreeze-Stuff. Works too.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Forgive me Jennifer......but won't washing it, work?

:peepwall:

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Ozone.

And I'm actually not joking or being sarcastic.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
if its been exposed to cigarette smoke for long period of time it wont disapear easily or fast enough through wind, or washing.

i think you should seek professional help if its really indeed severe.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Forgive me Jennifer......but won't washing it, work?
:peepwall:

response #1:

I just bought it last night, and I didn't get a chance (I don't have a washer at home right now).

I also had heard that smoke was HARD to get out... and I'm sure they washed it before putting it up for sale at Salvation Army, isn't that standard procedure? So I think I need some 'heavy duty' attacks here to use on it.

Response #2: *slap slap* :steam:

if its been exposed to cigarette smoke for long period of time it wont disapear easily or fast enough through wind, or washing. i think you should seek professional help if its really indeed severe.

In that case, cost is an issue; if it's too expensive, it's not worth it, I might as well find something new.

Ozone. And I'm actually not joking or being sarcastic.
^^^ note how he has to specify nowadays. ;)

So do I buy ozone in a bottle, or do I have to fire it into the stratosphere on a small rocket?

Oh or you could use this Febreeze-Stuff. Works too.

I've heard of Febreeze, I'll have to look at that too.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
^^^ note how he has to specify nowadays. ;)

So do I buy ozone in a bottle, or do I have to fire it into the stratosphere on a small rocket?
You contact a fire restoration company and ask if they ozone clothes.

Also, dry cleaners that do fire restoration will have an ozone room. But they usually don't advertise via the yellow pages. So, you'll end up going through the fire restoration companies to eventually get to them.

Done and done.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Sometimes I get the a smell out of things in the dryer. I use a dryer sheet and I use as high a heat level as the garment will stand. Do you have a dryer?

If you don't, I just thought of something else. Sometime ironing a garment will get some of the smell out. For corduroy, you would need to iron the inside so the ridges don't get smushed.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Well, in that case, a good dose of sun and fresh air will help. I think. Hanging it outside for a few hours, for a day or two should do it.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I also had heard that smoke was HARD to get out... and I'm sure they washed it before putting it up for sale at Salvation Army, isn't that standard procedure? So I think I need some 'heavy duty' attacks here to use on it.

No, they rarely wash the things they sell, they usually use a steamer to ruffle out any creases whilst it is hanging on a hanger, but when I volunteered at one of the shops they definately didn't wash the stuff.

Give it a good wash first. loads of fabric conditioner and febreeze it when it is up hanging to dry, the smell should be long gone at the end of it. :)