• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The sea...

Do you feel this "longing" towards the sea?

• Total voters

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no place like the coastal landscapes or at sea, in my opinion. I've always felt a longing for the sea, and wherever I am I won't feel at home if i'm not anywhere near it. Don't get me wrong, I like mountainous highland landscapes, too... But there is no place like by the shores or on a ship. I've always been driven by wanderlust and the sea have always been what has been in my mind the most. Any kind of raft, boat or ship will make me into a giggling little boy. If I get my hand out of my arse in the future and have a sufficient amount of money to spend the rest of my days on a sailing boat around the world, I will.

And I wonder if it's not genetic, since my family have been moving around a lot over the last few centuries... And despite differences in character, me, my father and my grandfather have the same dreams of far off distant lands. Could wanderlust be in the genes?

Or maybe it has something to do with type? Or am I just weird?
My father, grandfather and me are all NT's.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Most definitely. I've always lived on a coast, whether it be the Pacific, Gulf or Atlantic. I plan to always stay on a coast. I often kind of wish I'd been an explorer and sailed the seas back when every thing was a total mystery and exciting. When the possibility of multiple headed dragons living under the water was a very real possibility (as far as people knew). Modern life sucks. :(

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!! :wubbie:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Most definitely. I've always lived on a coast, whether it be the Pacific, Gulf or Atlantic. I plan to always stay on a coast. I often kind of wish I'd been an explorer and sailed the seas back when every thing was a total mystery and exciting. When the possibility of multiple headed dragons living under the water was a very real possibility (as far as people knew). Modern life sucks. :(

Agree with all of this.

I love being on the coast or out on the water.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sort've do feel a pull towards the sea when I'm on my way there, but when I'm there, it's kind've meh. I feel a much stronger pull towards the mountains.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yup. My two favorite locations are: mountains (especially snow-covered ones), followed by the beach/ocean.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Yes. I always thought it was because I'm a water sign.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
My love of the ocean is rivaled only by my love of the desert.

Funny story... years ago I remember a port on a western bay. It served about a hundred ships a day. Sailors passed the time away talking about their homes.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Love the ocean and have always lived near the coast but I don't have a longing for it.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I have a longing for the ocean as well. And it's weird because I didn't even grow up near the ocean or anything, I've just always had a strange fascination for bodies of water. Just recently when I was out and about in DC I decided to ditch my friends on a whim to go sit by the Potomac and stare out across the water for two hours.

Valiant

Courage is immortality
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have an age of sail fascination.

I know you have, dear heart :D

Most definitely... I've always thought I was born in the wrong times, too. :(

I have a longing for the ocean as well. And it's weird because I didn't even grow up near the ocean or anything, I've just always had a strange fascination for bodies of water. Just recently when I was out and about in DC I decided to ditch my friends on a whim to go sit by the Potomac and stare out across the water for two hours.

This describes my situation fairly well, too. I wasn't born near it or anything... I live about 30 miles away from it, in fact. It doesn't feel too good. =( I lived and worked on a ship for about 8 months recently, though.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love the ocean! I need to know it's there any time I want it. I had no idea that's how I felt about it until I lived in Nashville, TN for 2 years. Even though there was a small lake right across the street, and I could see it from my bedroom window, that didn't seem to completely satisfy.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
Lot of elven blood around here.

I have fascination with things of extreme natural power, things that are mind-bogglingly hugenormous, and weird life forms. The ocean is all of those. I don't feel a spiritual connection as such, more like its presence forces me to contemplate it (it's hard to miss, and harder to ignore), which puts me in a spiritual state of mind.

I, too, will seek out "stare at the water" time, but I would also stare at the stars, or into a lava flow, or up through the eye of a hurricane.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ relate to this. Water fascinates me.
I think there is something about the transformation of the atmosphere on an ionic level that has a physical effect as well. I.e. it's more than a purely cognitive / sensory experience.

NoahFence

MBTI Type
INTP
I recall sitting on top of Jockey's Ridge, a massive sand dune on the NC coast. The wind had blown the sand into its usual long ridges, the sky was filled with those wispy, feathery ripple clouds, and the ocean was its usual choppy self. My pal blew my skull open when he commented: "It looks like the sand, water, and sky are all trying to imitate each other..."

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Lot of elven blood around here.

I have fascination with things of extreme natural power, things that are mind-bogglingly hugenormous, and weird life forms. The ocean is all of those. I don't feel a spiritual connection as such, more like its presence forces me to contemplate it (it's hard to miss, and harder to ignore), which puts me in a spiritual state of mind.

I, too, will seek out "stare at the water" time, but I would also stare at the stars, or into a lava flow, or up through the eye of a hurricane.
I love staring at the stars, too. :)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There's also that thing where water symbolizes feminine sexuality. In dreams, mythology, archetypes and such.