• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Google tourism

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
For some time I am thinking about opening this thread.
As I said I am often going to google earth and go around various places where I will probably never go in person (time and money). So this is the thread about recommending interesting places to look at, monuments, landscapes, state of things, something random etc.

So for the start: I was a little surprised but there is a Chernobyl on google earth and you can look from some roads. It is in a way bizarre that this place is planned to become a tourist attraction, form what I read. The place on the map can be found in the north western Ukraine on the shores of river "Pripjat", right next to the border with Belarus. Plus what is perhaps even more interesting is that just to the north west of the ex power plant it abandoned town of Pripjat. It is interesting to see a town where absolutely no one lives for decades. It is pretty green.

Google Maps

Permabanned
mixed feelings, like trivia, fun/interesting to know in the moment, but out of sight out of mind. ultimately it pixels on a screen can't even come close to a IRL experience, be it pictures or anything else really.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
mixed feelings, like trivia, fun/interesting to know in the moment, but out of sight out of mind. ultimately it pixels on a screen can't even come close to a IRL experience, be it pictures or anything else really.

Of course it can't.
But who has the time and money to see everything in this world.

Permabanned
Of course it can't.
But who has the time and money to see everything in this world.

idk, but I think that's a flawed pov. to me, if I cared, I'd put effort towards the IRL, so if serving an ancillary purpose I could see some value, for scouting, exploring, hype, wtv. perhaps re OP it might be ancillary, but differently, perhaps emotionally, as a placebo. :shrug:

Red Herring

Superwoman
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha! You just made me walk around on the Lofoten achipelago. There actually is a Google maps route along the coastline.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Speaking of high north.

Nuuk - Greenland

From what I understand this is basically the capital of Greenland and even some of the smallest settlements have the street view at this point.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Traffic jam in Kenya's Capital

This is one of the things that really make you think. From what I have seen Africa in general has far more cars than I would expect and some of the cities really aren't lagging too much behind first world in physical sense.