• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Fried Chicken Fight (Popeye's vs. KFC)

Popeye's or KFC?

• Popeyes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • KFC

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
How can anyone vote Popeye's? That's ridiculous. Original recipe. No comparison.

I use to LOVE Original Recipe. Why do they not make more items with it? They use to have a OR chicken sandwich and it was phenomenally good. Now it's all Extra Crispy sandwich, Extra Crispy tenders, popcorn..... :( So I went to Popeye's and found I preferred it overall.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
In light of new menu additions I feel it's necessary to make a determination: Popeye's chicken sandwich officially puts them over the top in the chicken wars. It's amazing -- not quite good enough to stab someone, as which happened around the original launch due to inadequate supply, but pretty damn close (all fast food should be ranked based on where each particular item falls on the stab index). I could safety say I'd put someone in the sharpshooter if a Popeye's chicken sandwich was at stake.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
In light of new menu additions I feel it's necessary to make a determination: Popeye's chicken sandwich officially puts them over the top in the chicken wars. It's amazing -- not quite good enough to stab someone, as which happened around the original launch due to inadequate supply, but pretty damn close (all fast food should be ranked based on where each particular item falls on the stab index). I could safety say I'd put someone in the sharpshooter if a Popeye's chicken sandwich was at stake.

What would the ruling be on a person that likes say - plant based buffalo chicken nuggs AND the Popeye's Chicken Sandwich?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Chik-Fil-A tastes like it has less oil and I originally liked the taste, but I haven't eaten there for a long time + I liked Popeye's better. I do like KFC but prefer the Popeye sandwich overall and try not to eat at those deep-fried crusted bird places anyway.

So why do all their fries suck, though? CFA has these crappy waffle fries; the fries at Popeye's are really bland and a bit soggy for what I expected as "cajun," and I guess overall I prefer KFC potato wedges fries the most of the three.

Royal Farms isn't bad (and they make huge potato wedges), but their chicken doesn't have much of a crunch.

I was gonna say, "Oh, that's just Baltimore," but we only had a fistfight and it was NE of the beltway....

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Chik-Fil-A tastes like it has less oil and I originally liked the taste, but I haven't eaten there for a long time + I liked Popeye's better. I do like KFC but prefer the Popeye sandwich overall and try not to eat at those deep-fried crusted bird places anyway.

So why do all their fries suck, though? CFA has these crappy waffle fries; the fries at Popeye's are really bland and a bit soggy for what I expected as "cajun," and I guess overall I prefer KFC potato wedges fries the most of the three.

Royal Farms isn't bad (and they make huge potato wedges), but their chicken doesn't have much of a crunch.

I was gonna say, "Oh, that's just Baltimore," but we only had a fistfight and it was NE of the beltway....

This is an excellent question. As an admitted fries snob, it matters. I don't like the waffle fries, I don't like the wedges either. I have a feeling these types are better at staying hot vs a McDonald's fry or even Arby's type curly fries.

I wish I could get some skin on Five Guy's style fries with a chicken sandwich. Those are excellent fries and they don't skimp.

I usually get chicken from Lee's Famous Chicken around here. They have like 15 different sides, including things like Pasta Salad and Fried Cabbage. It makes up for their crappy potato wedges.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is an excellent question. As an admitted fries snob, it matters. I don't like the waffle fries, I don't like the wedges either. I have a feeling these types are better at staying hot vs a McDonald's fry or even Arby's type curly fries.

definitely. In the past I have typically just bought a sandwich at either CFA or Popeyes and skipped the fries combo.

McDonald's never had a great chicken sandwich (even thought their fries tend to be hot and crisp if you go at the right times of day and you eat them from the start before they cool down), but I stopped there two weeks ago and got a chicken sandwich meal figuring "it would do" and got the most upscale one they had (rather than the cheapo patty ones for kids they used to have) and damn but if they just have thrown in the towel completely on their chicken sandwich since I guess they decided they weren't competitive anyway. It was pretty flat, uniform, and was barely a bit above one of those crappy particle-bird patties you buy in packs of 20 from a wal*mart knockoff. I will never buy another chicken sandwich from Mickey D's again and am loathe to revisit their tenders in case those changed too; their tenders a few years ago (not the nuggets, but the adult marketed ones) had been okay.

I haven't really eaten at McDonald's much lately so I am probably out of touch with their current menu. About the only thing I like are the 99 cent diet cokes (all sizes) and the electronic board ordering.

I wish I could get some skin on Five Guy's style fries with a chicken sandwich. Those are excellent fries and they don't skimp.

Those are a fry high-water mark. I mean, I tend to avoid fries most of the time because of the calorie count on them, but I fell in love with those the first time I went to Five Guys. The fries (and not the hamburgers) are the draw. THey used to really stuff the bags but seemed to fill them a bit less a year or two back around here, even though it's still a (un)healthy amount. :D

The fries in the local restaurants here tend to be more like Five Guys ,with the potato skins left on.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member

I usually get chicken from Lee's Famous Chicken around here. They have like 15 different sides, including things like Pasta Salad and Fried Cabbage. It makes up for their crappy potato wedges.

Chick-fil-a fries are really hot or miss -- sometimes when they're cut thinner and fried a little longer, they're great, yet other times they're too thick and/or not cooked long enough and soggy and bland. I'm not big on wedges because of the excess potato/soggy texture.

McDonald's has hands down the best fast food fries when made fresh, yet conditions vary wildly based upon location.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

So why do all their fries suck, though? CFA has these crappy waffle fries; the fries at Popeye's are really bland and a bit soggy for what I expected as "cajun," and I guess overall I prefer KFC potato wedges fries the most of the three...

You don't like the waffle fries? That is unfathomable to me. They're probably my favorite fries. Five Guys isn't bad but I prefer the waffle fries. I don't think it's just the shape I like. There's a slight crispiness to them that is pretty good.

Come to think of it, I enjoy McDonald's fries as well.

Saturnal Snowqueen

Solastalgia 𓍊𓋼𓍊𓋼𓍊
MBTI Type
FELV
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Even though I've only had it once, Popeyes is just superior to me. I eat KFC cause it's closer to home and it's not bad, but the skin is just flimsy to me and it's greasier. I do like the Nashville chicken though because I like spicy stuff and they're tenders so they're more...tender. Popeyes is much more crunchy and has a nice kick. Technically we do have this ripoff Popeyes in town, but I like seafood so I get that. Never had Chik Fil A, there's only one in my state.

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
My favorite fries are truffle fries nomnomnomnom .

I am not surprised by these results because i am SO serious, KFC depends on where your getting it. the closer to the south or Caribbean the better the flava .

Also i have found popeyes consistently salty here ( but bahamains have a heavy hand in salt so i think they trying to make it less bland with too much salt.)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
You don't like the waffle fries? That is unfathomable to me. They're probably my favorite fries. Five Guys isn't bad but I prefer the waffle fries. I don't think it's just the shape I like. There's a slight crispiness to them that is pretty good.

Come to think of it, I enjoy McDonald's fries as well.

Five Guys are very high on the - I 'd cut a bitch scale. However, Red Robin, very hot steak fries, sprinkled with some spicy stuff at the table - maybe be bit ahead.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Im not a big fan of five guys or red robin. Theyre good and all, just not my scene.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Im not a big fan of five guys or red robin. Theyre good and all, just not my scene.

Red Robin’s Burnin’ Love Burger is pretty epic. Loads of jalapeños.

Also, if you sign up w/their royalty program before your birthday month, you get a free burger & bottomless fries on your birthday.
That’s pretty much the only time I go, haha.

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Red Robin’s Burnin’ Love Burger is pretty epic. Loads of jalapeños.

Also, if you sign up w/their royalty program before your birthday month, you get a free burger & bottomless fries on your birthday.
That’s pretty much the only time I go, haha.

I prefer to make my own burgers. I can make them talk to me while I cook them like Bob.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That would also mean revealing my birthday to strangers:huh:

Psh, no one at Red Robin cares enough to do anything sinister with that info.