• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Time outdoors?

Lark

I was surprised to hear today reported on a BBC rural affairs programme about UK children spending less time outdoors than prisoners.

There's plenty of things that made me think about, what constitutes a prison if you experience life in such a way that being deprived of liberty does not matter that much to you, although a more extreme example of this was a prison which on final head count discovered there were two or three more people there than ought to have been and then later discovered ladders in place where they had broken into the prison.

However, that was not really what I wanted to discuss, hence posting here rather than, say, the philosophy threads.

How much time do you spend outdoors? Would you describe yourself as "outdoorsy"? If not why not?

Is it reflected in your attitudes to travel? If you like spending time outdoors is it likely you also like travelling?

Is there a relationship to extroversion or introversion? Sometimes I dont feel like going out if I think I will be going out at a time when I'm going to encounter people but its not usually linked to extroversion or introversion but whether or not I think its likely I'll have to deal with others anti-social behaviour.

I used to spend 75% of my off time outside. Buildings are too confining and I think humans spend way too much time in them. It could be conditioning I suppose. My parents were the kick you out after breakfast type, come back for lunch and then back when the streetlights came on. And I love them for it. I spent so many days wandering the woods alone or with a couple of friends. It’s just normal for me to have dirt below me and open sky above.

As I’ve become ill, it’s been more of a struggle to get around and my psychological health and happiness has suffered because of it. I’ve spent too much time indoors. I need that connection to nature.

As for traveling, I haven’t done an extensive amount. I’ve been all over New England and parts of New York but that’s it. I don’t have the money to be roaming the planet.

I’m definitely an introvert but I don’t think that means we seek enclosed spaces, just alone time to re-energize. I spend a good deal of time around others, I just don’t spend time interacting with them. I have enjoyed talking to people from other countries on mountain trails though. I’ve met half the world while hiking.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel very claustrophobic and begin to feel depressed if I'm stuck inside / for too long, for more than, say, a day. So, when not out in nature, going on a run at the very least is very beneficial and necessary / important for me. The problem for me when it comes to the true outdoors is that it's at minimum a half hour drive to get to a decent nature setting, and around 1.5 hours of driving to get to true nature. So given work, the fact that driving can be a problem/ doesn't work, say, after work on a weekday, I don't experience true nature and hiking more than a few times a month. In the summer I make it a priority, though, so it can be up to once a week. But sometimes I'll get driving-burnout from driving so much, so then I stay home. If I LIVED in it or very close to it? I'd probably be sitting out in it daily, as well as walking or hiking.

I love to travel. To the point of my thinking it's tied to my general happiness level -- the lack of meaning I become more bored or despondent with life. I need a fair amount of newness and excitement peppered throughout my life. (yes I realize this also proclaims my relatively privileged status) While traveling I mostly enjoy exploring and often target nature destinations, where most of my activity involves hiking, birdwatching, being immersed in nature, photography.

Socially I'm probably an extreme introvert, but I at times ponder the notion of 'cognitive intro/extroversion' and cognitively I'm probably not very extreme in my introversion.

Greed

#1 thot
well i'd most certainly rather be an indoor child than a prisoner, but maybe that's just me

Tengri

I was surprised to hear today reported on a BBC rural affairs programme about UK children spending less time outdoors than prisoners.
This is comparable for US schools, too. In my region, kids aren't let out for recess if it's under 40 degress F, raining, or a heat advisory (come May). They definitely seem to get less time to run off their energy than when I was in school.

How much time do you spend outdoors? Would you describe yourself as "outdoorsy"? If not why not?

Is it reflected in your attitudes to travel? If you like spending time outdoors is it likely you also like travelling?

Is there a relationship to extroversion or introversion? Sometimes I dont feel like going out if I think I will be going out at a time when I'm going to encounter people but its not usually linked to extroversion or introversion but whether or not I think its likely I'll have to deal with others anti-social behaviour.
I'm outside enjoying the weather for lunch and breaks every day, most weekends, and a couples days a workweek if I have time after the runaround. I grew up tent-camping and hiking with my family, so this is something I do recreationally, too. When I travel, I sight-see major landmarks and get a taste for local foods, but generally avoid overly crowded places and gravitate to natural landmarks, parks, wilderness areas, water features. If I had to choose, I much prefer natural places (unless they are overly busy with tourists), but equally enjoy destination trips to cities for shorter periods.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I go for a walk basically everyday and I do gardening, hiking around mountains and islands or even alone traveling. Because I like it that way and I actively limit my online time.

Being outside on the sun is actually pretty important for metabolism from what I gathered and is natural antidote for depression.

Zhaylin

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What a scary and sad report!
When I was a kid, I practically lived outside. I was always at the top of the tallest tree or in the woods making forts. Most of the time, I was alone. I even snuck out of the house, as a teen, and rode my bike several miles just so I could skinny dip alone. The bay was mystical. I discovered it with a boyfriend. We were swimming around when the waters just lit up with our movements (turns out it was some sort of bioluminescent (sp) creature).

Now that I'm an adult, I can't be bothered. I'd prefer to never leave my room lol. When I'm forced out of my comfort zone, I still greatly love nature. I'm just too out of shape, too lazy, and too addicted to video games to make the effort.
Same thing when it comes to traveling in general. It's more work than worth. My HSP flares up miserably and I sleep 1-2 months BEFORE a big trip and the first 1-2 days after I arrive. And while I absolutely love flying (ESPECIALLY take off and landing!) I despise TSA and the crowds and physical ailments just make me more miserable. Hubby dislikes the hassle, as well. Even if something is a 16 hour drive, we would sooner drive it than fly. Or rather, I drive it rofl- until I can no longer keep my eyes open and then hubby takes over.

Ugh... which reminds me we're flying out to California this year for hubby's medical stuff. Blah.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Aw, as if I weren’t already feeling nostalgic-myself, my husvand, his Mother and I were talking about this stuff.

I practically lived on the ocean as a kid.We’d go to the beach all summer. My favorite thing was to go diving for oysters. My Dad used to dig for them but we got there too late one year-after the tide had come in-and he saud we just couldn’t get oyster at all.
I said “ Pls, I know how to swim. I know how what oysters look like!” So I just went diving for them. It became my favorite hobby, that, and showing them to the tourists who were amased a “ kid like me” knew so much. Hell, they couldn’t tell an oyster from a rock.

On that note, I am soooo sore. I was out doing some serious gardening all day. I wore my Greyjoy hoody and the irony was not lost on me.
....my body hurts so much you guys. We gotva lot done though. Wish I had before and after pictures.
I only have “ after”.