• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exercises do you do?

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Walk around bedroom. Lift 5 lb. backpack. Walk to car. Drive car. Take backpack out of car. Walk to class. Pick backpack up. Walk back to car. Drive car. Pick backpack up. Walk to house.

That's pretty much in a nutshell. I know, where do I find the time?

I love Bikram Yoga but haven't found a non-stinky studio to practice near my new home. I also like Pilates. And dancing. I actually do manage to fit a little of all this between my exhausting walking with backpack and driving routine. I wish it were daily but more like 2-3x a week.

I'm surprised someone else here knows Krav Maga. I did that for a minute and no one else I tell knows what it is. I've also studied kickboxing for a minute. And took 1 class in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. And a number of one-off self-defense workshops. Maybe I'll take up kickboxing again? Or kung-fu? I did Tae Kwon Do as a kid so it gives me good grouding for other martial arts.

These are the ramblings of a ENFP with an overly ambitious plan for her lazy self.

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Mainly I work out about an hour everyday. Occasionally, when I'm being bad, I'll only go about 3-4 times a week. But I like exercise, it helps me to relax and also gives me some time to think. I like to keep active.

I tried the yoga thing, but I found myself getting bored and wanted to move around more and do something that pushed me physically.

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
if you have trouble with yoga then find a yoga/pilates class that will challenge you and keep you going

this week I have a head cold and my son sounds awful, surely they won't let him in kids club such as he is so I have take the week off. I miss it as I have been going for the last 3 weeks 5 times a week for 60-90mins and it's hard to go without *sigh* I hate being sick

surgery

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Four
I simply jog or an ride excersise bike anytime that I begin to feel disgusting :(

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Ahh, I've just retaken up biking in the woods. Best thing ever.

quietgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Well, my daily exercise consists of walking 2 miles to work and 2 miles back. I'll usually do 100 crunches when I get home, too.

If I have some extra time, I am big on outdoor activities - especially in the summer. I'll spend my free time hiking, rafting, kayaking, or climbing.

My boyfriend runs marathons and is planning on starting to train for his first triathlon. I'll probably try and train with him for some extra exercise.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
Monday - Friday: 30-60 minutes of running @ ~7 mph with 30 second slowdowns to 4 mph on occasion to give my joints a rest

Tuesday, Thursday: weight lifting, all upper-body muscle groups

Saturday: my day off... I usually do something fun and recreational, favorites are rock climbing, snowboarding, tennis, and ice hockey. :yay:

Sunday: hiking - 3500+ verticle ft over 2-3 hours with 75 or more lbs. hike down takes about half the time, I use water in containers so I can dump it at the top and save my joints some wear and tear. :)

white

~dangerous curves ahead~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Monday - Friday: 30-60 minutes of running @ ~7 mph with 30 second slowdowns to 4 mph on occasion to give my joints a rest

Tuesday, Thursday: weight lifting, all upper-body muscle groups

Saturday: my day off... I usually do something fun and recreational, favorites are rock climbing, snowboarding, tennis, and ice hockey. :yay:

Sunday: hiking - 3500+ verticle ft over 2-3 hours with 75 or more lbs. hike down takes about half the time, I use water in containers so I can dump it at the top and save my joints some wear and tear. :)

Looking at your exercise schedule makes me sleepy. *nyup nyup* :blush:

I dance and that's about it. 3-5 hours a week on average. Includes toning/flexibility stretching daily. . More if I'm stressed. It's more to destress, but I think it helps tone the body maybe.

disregard

mrs
MBTI Type
INFP
I live in a hilly community, and so I speed walk for an hour a day. It works a lot of different muscle groups walking down steep hills and up them, and across level ground. All I ever want to be is firm and slim, I don't want muscles, and I'm not interested in all that yoga stuff. I have zero upper body strength. Walking is incredible.. it makes me so content. And I feel more connected to my neighbors when I see them while I'm out walking.. otherwise, I'm sure I wouldn't know a single soul around here.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
4 days a week i do some sort of cardio for 30 to 45 minutes. i usually just hop on the elliptical, mostly because it tells me how many calories i'm burning.

2 days a week i do some sort of strength training, i'm currently working on my thighs and abdominals. also anytime i'm sitting around watching tv, i like to play with my 5 lb barbells during commercials.

i rest on tuesdays.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Occasionally I walk around a particular open, circular set of paths in my home 100 times, or just do 10 sit-ups. I don't do this consistently though. I'm bad at exercise. :blush:

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
I've found Pilates, particularly the 100's to be a good start to the day,

Along with push-ups, side-to-side rib-cage/torso slides, and modified hip-lifts (or snaps - good for strengthening and building support for the knees, too) (the last two learned from my SO from her belly-dance days) to give the core a good warm up for the day. I've taken up walking, about 30 minutes a day or as much as possible. All this has been to get my blood cholesterol under control, too.

What do you like to do?

Ahh... bellydancing! I love it! I also love walking and pilates! I hate lunges, but I do it to keep my backside strong *wink*

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
Having a dog is good excercise, especially if that dog is a hyperactive puppy. We went to the dog park yesterday and it was more walking at one time than I've done all month... ^_^

The dog got even more exercise so mission accomplished!

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I like to walk when I can. In the summer I go running maybe 4 nights a week for however long I feel like it (which is usually about 20 minutes). I do push-ups fairly often, but not a whole lot, usually 15 push-ups twice a day five days a week and sometimes more or sometimes less on weekends. I also do sit-ups/crunches (don't know what the difference is) as frequently as push-ups except I generally do 30-40 in a set.

I'd like to maybe expand this a bit, but I don't want to spend any money or anything. What are some good, basic, free exercises that would work different muscle groups than the exercises I currently do?

I think I'll go do some push-ups and sit ups right now, actually:yes:

LadyJaye

Scream down the boulevard
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I could use some input here - usually I ride my exercise bike, or go for a long walk, but I have spinal arthritis, and am in the middle of a bad flare, so both of those venues are out currently. Any suggestions of exercise that won't put stress on my lower back and hip joints?

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Does swimming stress it much for you? It's traditionally the lowest impact cardio along with biking and the elliptical.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Does swimming stress it much for you? It's traditionally the lowest impact cardio along with biking and the elliptical.

I had considered that, but then there's the whole " I'm wearing a bathing suit so now everyone must die" factor. I suspect I'll have to get over it, though. I actually enjoy exercise, and my rheumatologist told me I had to keep moving, so swimming may be a solution.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
^^ You is so modest. ;)

I have seen people at the pool wearing non-swimsuits or bodysuits for more coverage. I have also seen people wearing t-shirts in the water (which I wouldn't recommend for safety reasons) but whatever makes you feel comfortable.

Pilates might help as well as it is meant to be therapeutic/restorative. Since you have arthritis, I would suggest getting a consultation from a teacher and then practicing on your own.

Pilates can be more expensive than joining a gym, but community centers and local colleges are good places to take it up. I took an intro mat class at a community center, all my classmates were grandmas (that's what I get for taking a weekday mid-day class) so it was very slow paced with lots of time for questions.

Same for Tai Chi.

LadyJaye

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^^ You is so modest. ;)

Just trying to shield the eyes of the innocent. :D

I have seen people at the pool wearing non-swimsuits or bodysuits for more coverage. I have also seen people wearing t-shirts in the water (which I wouldn't recommend for safety reasons) but whatever makes you feel comfortable.

I'm thinking more like a tarp. Is one allowed into the pool wearing a tarp?

Pilates might help as well as it is meant to be therapeutic/restorative. Since you have arthritis, I would suggest getting a consultation from a teacher and then practicing on your own.

Pilates can be more expensive than joining a gym, but community centers and local colleges are good places to take it up. I took an intro mat class at a community center, all my classmates were grandmas (that's what I get for taking a weekday mid-day class) so it was very slow paced with lots of time for questions.

Same for Tai Chi.

Pilates! I hadn't considered it because I thought it was too much like aerobics for my joints to endure. But now I'll have to give it a look-see! Thanks for the suggestion, chica. :)