• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What exercises do you do?

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to ride my bike everywhere to get around.
Then I screwed up my knee, & had to get surgery. Loaned the bike to an overweight friend. She moved & neglected to return it.
Didn't have a consistent workout routine for quite awhile, though I wanted one. Not enough of a morning person to get up extra early.

Worked a LOT and went to school. Constantly on my feet, lifting boxes and crates for 8-10hrs a day [often, unfortunately, without breaks] non-stop will work wonders. I was very lean, and my muscles somewhat defined. However, not having breaks also meant very little time to actually eat food, so eventually I just looked sickly. Living off free coffee and water. Creepy part of that was, all my customers kept telling me I could be a model.

I'm only 23 and on the fast-track to osteoporosis. How attractive. I went cliff-jumping w/a friend last summer. Hurled myself off a 40-50ft cliff into water. No one ever gets hurt. I've done it before. This time I sustained a compression fracture to one of my vertebrae [superior endplate of the 7th thoracic vertebral body]. Apparently my bones were so weakened, that the verticalimpact of hitting water [well, pretty hard], was enough to literally crush one of my vertebrae. Didn't know I'd broken anything for a month [you're always a tad sore after a day of rock climbing and jumping anyway..]

My point in bringing that up, is, that it hasn't healed properly. I've had a lot of difficulty trying to strengthen my body with this injury, unfortunately. I'm still in a fairly low weight range for my height, and probably don't eat often enough. [5'9" and fluctuate between 120-125lbs] I'm constantly busy, and sort of inadvertently learned how to "tune out" hunger from back when I worked 65hrs a week on avg w/school [sleep was nonexistant.. it was hell].. so a day will go by and I'll only realize that night when I have a stomach ache that I hadn't eaten since morning. :doh:

Yeah.. all of that.. seems to gum up any plans I may have in the works for being more healthy overall, and getting into better physical condition.

::Sigh:: I miss my bicycle.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
^ Well that sucks, anyways has anyone ever hurt their knees by simply riding a bike (not falling or anything)? I seem to some how managed to do that and I was with knee pain for almost a week and a half. Now every time I do any sort of excersice that includes my right knee (like squats for exemple) my knee starts to hurt a little and feels kind of weird for a few days. Any ideas?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sounds like a cartilage issue. I have something similar in my shoulder, and my right knee also locks up if I torque it too hard. You could try some stretching, but that might only relieve some stress. If you go for heavy lifting or training, you may need it to get fixed.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Sounds like a cartilage issue. I have something similar in my shoulder, and my right knee also locks up if I torque it too hard. You could try some stretching, but that might only relieve some stress. If you go for heavy lifting or training, you may need it to get fixed.

Well that is discouraging.:( I have some similar issue with the top my right index finguer, it kind of cracks when I bend it and it hurts and is annoying the hell out of me. I should ask my doctor.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
My right knee is extremely inflexible, cracks when I bend it, etc. While I am able to run effectively [I'd do a 5 mile run and it would be fine] under heavy lifting stress like a squat, it just isn't strong/stable enough to handle crazy weights. Same with my shoulder, I have the power to lift beyond a 150 bench press, but my shoulder isn't stable enough to control the weight through the motion.

Should definitely check it out if you have the insurance.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well I can get through the workout but after wards it kicks my ass, this started to happen after I started doing more bicycle excersices. I actually was able to do reps of 540 lbs with my legs and nothing would go wrong and now this. Well, I will have to ask my doctor and I am sure I am going to get some halfassed answer.:rolli:

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ Well that sucks, anyways has anyone ever hurt their knees by simply riding a bike (not falling or anything)? I seem to some how managed to do that and I was with knee pain for almost a week and a half. Now every time I do any sort of excersice that includes my right knee (like squats for exemple) my knee starts to hurt a little and feels kind of weird for a few days. Any ideas?

Take your bike to a bike shop and make sure the seat is at the proper height so your knees don't lock on the downstroke. When you do squats, don't do them too deeply and make sure your weight is distributed properly. Don't torque your knee when you're putting pressure on it.

But yeah, you should get it checked out. (I need to do the same.)

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
distance running (and all of the cross training required) , I'm on the tennis team, the elliptical machine has been friendly to my injured back, lots and lots of core work to prevent another back injury, cycling... there's a really scenic bike trail near my house that allows for long rides... i used to ride 120 miles in a weekend, when it gets warmer i swim laps and attempt the cold lake water, hiking, anything and everything really, i do miss organized sports from high school.. but every once in awhile basketball is an option.

:headphne:

I do have a bad habit of cycling while listening to my ipod.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Has anyone tried kite boarding?? I think that would be really fun.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I need to get back to it. This east coast weather is really a killer, it destroys my motivation. I love when it's nice out and I can just play pick up games, run (sprint), play catch and just dick around. I have a lot more motivation to work out at the gym as well. Even at my house with pull ups, dips, and weighted push ups. I love those! I have pretty genetically weak shoulders. The joint is very loose in there so I find the bodyweight excercises are golden for it. I cheat a bit and add a little weight but it is still a lot more natural and helps with the flexibility of those joints.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My Kung Fu is all the exersize I have to do because its all encompassing. Strength training, cardio, balance, endurance... its all there.

For those who say exersize is an S thing, I should mention that Kung Fu is about the only thing I've found that engages my mind and my body at the same time. I don't get bored with it, and it gets me into a very S mindset and is in fact nearly the only thing that can pull me out of myself when I'm in one of my funks and cant stop 'pondering' whatever it is I'm wrapped up in at the time.

I love the fact that there is always something different to do and that I don't have to do the same thing day after day. I can change it up and do whatever strikes me that day.

laintpe

Summer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
^yes, i don't understand the "NT's don't do athletics" claim. I can think of many people who do not fit that statement.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It's difficult for me to adhere to a strict regimen for an extended period of time, but I really do like physical activity. I'm actually extremely competitive and hate losing in sports, games, whatever. And I'm relatively athletic, I don't really fit the classic geeky nerdy glasses wearing duck footed nerd.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Has anyone tried kite boarding?? I think that would be really fun.

I wanna do that! I've had a go of operating the kite on land and it was harder than it looked but was hella fun.

For those who say exercise is an S thing, I should mention that Kung Fu is about the only thing I've found that engages my mind and my body at the same time. I don't get bored with it, and it gets me into a very S mindset and is in fact nearly the only thing that can pull me out of myself when I'm in one of my funks and cant stop 'pondering' whatever it is I'm wrapped up in at the time.

I find the same thing with Yoga and Tai Chi. Love that it can bring me in the moment.

^yes, i don't understand the "NT's don't do athletics" claim. I can think of many people who do not fit that statement.

I've always been into sports, particularly team sports. Right now my gym is like a second home. What can ya do, people like stereotypes.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bump!

What do you guys do to stay fit? Gym? Sports?

What do you like about the exercise(s) you do?

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bump!

What do you guys do to stay fit? Gym? Sports?

What do you like about the exercise(s) you do?

I do pilates. It's really good for making you stronger and more energized but it won't necessarily do much for you cosmetically (aka make you thinner). I like it well enough. I also sprint my feelings, which is useful, though I'm still trying to determine whether this is a healthy or unhealthy behaviour.

I used to do martial arts and ballet when I was younger and I loved them both, though I liked martial arts a bit more.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to ride my bike everywhere to get around.
Then I screwed up my knee, & had to get surgery. Loaned the bike to an overweight friend. She moved & neglected to return it.
Didn't have a consistent workout routine for quite awhile, though I wanted one. Not enough of a morning person to get up extra early.

Worked a LOT and went to school. Constantly on my feet, lifting boxes and crates for 8-10hrs a day [often, unfortunately, without breaks] non-stop will work wonders. I was very lean, and my muscles somewhat defined. However, not having breaks also meant very little time to actually eat food, so eventually I just looked sickly. Living off free coffee and water. Creepy part of that was, all my customers kept telling me I could be a model.

I'm only 23 and on the fast-track to osteoporosis. How attractive. I went cliff-jumping w/a friend last summer. Hurled myself off a 40-50ft cliff into water. No one ever gets hurt. I've done it before. This time I sustained a compression fracture to one of my vertebrae [superior endplate of the 7th thoracic vertebral body]. Apparently my bones were so weakened, that the verticalimpact of hitting water [well, pretty hard], was enough to literally crush one of my vertebrae. Didn't know I'd broken anything for a month [you're always a tad sore after a day of rock climbing and jumping anyway..]

My point in bringing that up, is, that it hasn't healed properly. I've had a lot of difficulty trying to strengthen my body with this injury, unfortunately. I'm still in a fairly low weight range for my height, and probably don't eat often enough. [5'9" and fluctuate between 120-125lbs] I'm constantly busy, and sort of inadvertently learned how to "tune out" hunger from back when I worked 65hrs a week on avg w/school [sleep was nonexistant.. it was hell].. so a day will go by and I'll only realize that night when I have a stomach ache that I hadn't eaten since morning. :doh:

Yeah.. all of that.. seems to gum up any plans I may have in the works for being more healthy overall, and getting into better physical condition.

::Sigh:: I miss my bicycle.

I know a lot of people that have rehabbed with hot yoga. Including myself. A LOT of runners that got injured do it. Most say they can run again, but a few still can't, but that hot yoga (Bikram is the most hardcore) is comparable.

speaking of, I'm doing that right now. Again.

WWOOOOONDERFUL. Room 105 degrees, 26 poses hitting all the major muscles, joints, tendons, organs, everything. Hot yoga, for me, when done consistently has the effect of "correcting" just about everything from posture, to flexibility (obviously), to my freaking life. It's probably the most spiritual exercise I've ever done, and I've done a LOT.

Others include MMA, which requires peak fitness, as potential injuries are high. However, if I'm into it, NOTHING has given me more self-confidence. But the problem is it's a pretty big committment and I have to be on a very regular schedule, which I'm not.

Running. I've been running trails, roads, and treadmills since I was 13. Also very spiritual, and an exercise I keep coming back to. EXCELLENT for digestion and general well being. Though the risk for loss of muscle strength is high. I slim down, and don't like it.

Lifting. Fun, challenging, and it's great to pack on muscle, but it's a SHIT load of work. The gym isn't the hard part, it's the eating properly, eating enough, and getting enough rest.

I also like home DVDS/MP4s. P90X, and another favorite that comes up in top 5, Insanity. Can't say enough good about the latter.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And yeah, I get depressed if I have to without exercise for more than two days at a stretch. Makes me feel sad, slow and sluggish. I think I'm addicted to that endorphin rush...

100% this. You condition your body to expect it, and when it doesn't have it, you, or at least me, often don't feel "human" haha, as my friend likes to say.