User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    153 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalDoubt View Post
    This is probably going to sound really ignorant but I'm going for it anyways. What is it like to have an overwhelmingly negative body image (in terms of perhaps health or shape)? Also what do you think would be the best way to support one who has these feelings?

I'm trying to support a family member with a very poor body image (ie. she thinks she's fat and ugly but she's pretty average/perhaps slightly underweight), but every time I try to be supportive or rationalize this I end up coming off abrupt or not providing feedback that is meaningful. My empathy is typically a bit better than this but this is somewhat a blind spot of mine it appears...

(Also sorry if this is in the wrong section, I was debating on putting this in the advice section but it's kind of health related so idk).

Call me radical but solving this problem in wider sense just isn't possible without stomping on fashion and make-up industry. Since the standards they are pushing just aren't realistic, first they take naturally the most beautiful people and then they do cosmetic surgery on them. After that they place such person is clothing and make up most can't afford and in the end they photoshop the whole thing ... and then they say this should be a standard. This is a crime against mental health of the public.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    Call me radical but solving this problem in wider sense just isn't possible without stomping on fashion and make-up industry. Since the standards they are pushing just aren't realistic, first they take naturally the most beautiful people and then they do cosmetic surgery on them. After that they place such person is clothing and make up most can't afford and in the end they photoshop the whole thing ... and then they say this should be a standard. This is a crime against mental health of the public.
    This should be posted all over social media. It's maddening and most people just want to be loved for who they are not how they look
    blow a kiss to the universe and it is certain to wink at you in return.
    Likes RadicalDoubt liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    It's funny because I sure as hell do not have sympathy for any of these either but that is not at all relevant to the topic.

It is absolutely NOT a choice.

No one is placing blame on anyone else for feeling this way, it is no one's fault. Therefore, no one is playing the victim.

No one in this thread is whining or complaining, only answer questions and offering advice to the OP.

Everything you've said only proves your ignorance on the subject. As PD already said; this isn't about you. Thus your feelings aren't helpful here.

When people find out about my disdain for my own appearance they find it hard to believe I usually respond with laughter-like most everything- because I realize "it must seem absurd for someone as confident as myself."
    I guarantee that I have laughed at situations that would destroy you. I am quite certain I have a better sense of fashion than you, and most of all, I earned it all myself without the help of any "God."

This deformed ( actually, not hyperbole) and fairly useless body does not even remotely do justice to the greatness that is myself. It does not represent who I am as a person.
    I don't know what you're going through; I didn't pretend to, and I'm not your enemy.

You called me 'ignorant' and I feel blind-sided by that, like you don't respect me. Let's be clear, I didn't call you or anyone else here names. Despite how you feel, my opinion, my experiences, and my suggestions for overcoming a poor self-image were equally as relevant as everyone else's. You don't have to agree with my opinion or like me for working hard and over-coming my poor self-image or for my giving God the glory for achieving the seemingly impossible, but I do deserve respect.

My comment about my lack of sympathy for perpetual victims was not in reply to this topic; it was in reply to a specific post that was addressed to me (in this topic); the member that wrote me, skewed the meaning of my post for the worst. I rarely visit Typology Central and just recently met her in another thread where I saw her struggling with her negative feelings towards Mole. I tried to be a peacemaker between the two of them, but she wasn't willing to forget what Mole said to her and she proceeded to point me to every bad thing mole said. I asked her to please stop with all of that and just give Mole some grace. I think she's still upset with me for that; I don't know, but I don't have any hard feelings towards her or anyone else here.

Despite what little I've shared here, you don't know me or what I've been through in my life. Next time, please try to take in what's going on, without the rejection of my opinions & experiences. It wasn't easy for me to open up. My intentions are pure. I love people and especially, I love helping people that truly want to be helped. I've known brokenness and I'm an over-comer, thank you, Jesus!

I hope this provides you clarity. God's peace, love and joy to you, Yuu.
    Last edited by Yuu; 05-26-2019 at 01:36 AM.