• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

2019 Healthy Habits Challenge

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Howdy Everyone! It's pretty much 2019, and time to start thinking about how we want to shape the upcoming year.

If you've been doing these you know the drill, but for those who are new:

This is a year long, no strings attached self-motivated and self-driven challenge where you post your goals and try to honestly evaluate them, tweak them, and write your progress down. It's a very casual environment, and there are very few rules.

The rules:
- Make your goals SMART as possible. Simple, Measureable, Attainable, Realistic, and Timely. This isn't always so easy to do, and this casual environment allows one to figure out what is truly realistic for one's self or not.
For example, you're setting yourself up for failure if you say "Im going to work out for an hour everyday without fail!" if you have never worked out before. Similarly, saying "I'm going to eat better for 2019" can be too vague. Make something you can maintain, create baby steps as you go, and make sure you can measure it in your own way. Measuring doesn't have to mean counting calories, but it can instead mean, "I want to feel good after eating each meal and write down the times I don't because I overate or made a choice I wasn't happy with after." This is more doable and doesn't put pass/fail contraints on the goal but rather creates awareness and understanding of the goal's purpose.

- DO NOT be critical of other peoples' goals, lifestyles, and body types. Nothing will get you banished from this challenge except this. If they want to do crossfit and that's not your thing, don't come in here with that negative energy. If people want to do a particular diet but you believe Keto is going to save the world, keep it to yourself. Positive energy and support for others is your ONLY role in this thread besides working on yourself; if you disagree with the person you can take it elsewhere as this is NOT the place for debate.
You can of course ask questions, "what made you choose this exercise style?" but if you say much more than, "That didn't work for me, but hey to each their own." it'll be requested for removal from the thread. If you say negative things about weight goals, eating styles you disagree with, etc. they will be removed. This is not the place to push your personal agenda, though you can speak of a concept working for you and doing well for you. The key here is yourself. If someone is asking for advice, feel free to give it Once and Only after specifically requested from the group but do not push the idea over and over onto others. Everyone is working at their own pace and with their own cultural backgrounds, ideas, etc.

- Do NOT make goals that foster unhealthy behaviors and post them to here. If you're admitting anorexic behavior and using this as a vehicle to calorie count and limit your food intake, it will be removed. It is okay to be disappointed with not meeting a goal, but please refrain from bringing toxic self-talk into the space. You are welcome to request support from others because of disappointments or frustrations, but not to beat one's self up in here.
Similarly, if you use this place to further unhealthy agendas of any sort (like telling people desiring to lose weight or gain weight what's best for them, telling people they ought to lose more weight, pushing pseudo-science diets and fads like MLM weight loss solutions onto others, etc.) they will be reported for removal and I may even put in a request to ban you from participating further in the thread. I take this sort of thing very serious.. It's okay to fail, and it's okay to not feel good about it, but do not put unhealthy concepts into this space.

That's it! Pretty simple rules, just don't be a jerk, be kind to yourself and others, and make sensible goals to post. Easy peasy.

While we're at it, this is healthy HABITS we're challenging. We're hoping to foster long term things here. Food and exercise are not the only things that make a person healthy. If you're trying to get more organized in your life, read more books, listen to more educational podcasts or go back to school, become more financially healthy, etc. they are all welcome here. It doesn't matter how big or small that goal is.. if you have one for 2019 and want a place to blog about it and get some support in the process, post it up here.

That being said, my own goals for 2019:

Health-wise:

I've been going pretty well with this 'layers of health' thing I've created. So I'm going to try to continue that and tweak it as I need to for 2019.

- Layer 1: Intermittent fasting. Noon - 10pm has been more reasonable than the 8 hour fasts I tried in 2018, and sustainable whether it's dayshift or nightshift. I also relax the hours depending on whats going on. If I have to leave the house by 11am, I'll go ahead and eat before I go and bump the last hour down as well. Or if I wake up later (usually 2pm-3pm) after nightshift work, I'll also eat until later. I also allow for low calorie snacks--cucumbers, celery, sugar free jello, tea, and milk. I usually don't need these, but it's an option if I'm just craving munching on something. In general a 10 hour window of "hey you're fine you actually don't need to eat riiight now" makes sense for me and helps me curb boredom snacking, oddball cravings, etc. I also lug a tupperware with me to work, if free food pops up I'll take a share of it home for the next day. I do IF every single day I possibly can.

- Layer 2: Substitution cooking. In general, baking things vs frying them, using low sodium broths and cutting salt intake, cooking with less oil and butter, and using filling but healthy ingredients in recipes such as veggies in my rice, tofu in mousses and fillings, more fruit in oatmeal than sugar, etc. etc. helps keep things filling and healthy while keeping some excessive calories out of the mix. I've been cooking this way for a long time now, and I'm fairly adjusted to it. Still, all these years doing this, it does take active effort to say, "Hey, steam these veggies and add them in while we're at it." I do this anytime I am cooking at home.

- Layer 3: Health-minded days. This is bleeding over with my other goal, but I have more health-centric days where I focus on my body and what I'm eating. While it's impossible to avoid holiday food and such, it is much easier to say, "Hey, 3x a week I'm going to be really mindful." So I have planned meals, cooking, etc. on those 3 days. I pick the days out a week in advance, so I'm fairly certain what's coming up and that I'll be able to adjust. It's little things, like checking calorie counts, drinking water with my meals as well, and cooking in the dietary fashion my tummy is most adjusted to which is a Japanese/pan-asian style diet. I also work out on these days. These are days I'm more likely to cook a real meal for myself, gather ingredients for a healthy soup, whip up a smoothie, or try out a new ingredient. I do this 3x a week.

Goal-centric weeks and days:

The other major thing I've got going on is that I have many 'spheres' in which I have goals. Like wanting to be better at playing instruments, working out, physical therapy on my hips, creating costumes for Halloween and Cosplay, etc. There are many areas I want to improve in, and I've split these areas up into color-coded days. The concept is this:

- I have a plannar that has color-coded days. Pink days, blue days, green days, and black days. I have 3 pink days a week, 2 blue days a week, 1 green day (haha), and 1 black day each week. These colors are arbitrary based on the pens I own. Pink days are my power days -- I work on health, fitness, my martial art, language learning, helping others, and improving my space and cleaning up. Blue days are work days -- I work night shift and so I practice music on those days before I leave to work, do anki flash cards, clean up emails, catch up on some online activity, file and organize some papers online, and read. Things I can easily do in my spare time at work or before I even leave to work. Green days are project days... working on gear building, learning to do things, painting, cosplay making, and general art stuff. Black days are chill days... I ensure I have a day set aside where even if I go play at my martial arts school a couple hours, most of that day is dedicated to my partner, hanging out, doing whatever, and generally relaxing.. if I can, I try to watch some TV/anime on these black days. I try to ensure each task is broken into time-sensitive segments. For example, if I'm language working, I focus for 30 min. at a time, or watch a single video and take notes. I might re-visit those notes later and review, and do the work book practice in 20-30 min segments that next time. But I don't say "Chapter 2." because that might take me 2-3 hours to fully comprehend. I'd rather spend an entire week on chapter 2.

- I record a week or two in advance depending on what's on my calendar which days are what. None of these days take up my entire day. Pink days are the most involved and can take 5-7 hours to complete everything. Each other day only requests a couple of hours of my time. If life happens, and I have to adjust, I don't take it out on these days or beat myself up. I tackle the task, and move on with my time as if it never happened. A pink day get totally eaten up by family issues and drama? That's okay. Tomorrow is my blue day, so I'll move forward with that. All I do is add a frowny-face to my calendar that I didn't get to complete that day is all. This helps me keep on track and ensure that even if I didn't get to work on costume building that week, or missed a work out, overall I am marching forward towards my goals.

- I'll break down some smaller goals into these days via my panda plannar I was gifted. For example, I have work out "days" pre-written up and planned on a google doc, so I'll write "day 6" in the plannar. I also have a goal for solo practicing HEMA, so I'll write what drills I want to do and accomplish. I might pick music to try to play on a blue day. Stuff like that. I usually journal this stuff out at work where I'm more likely to stop and think about it during my lunch breaks, and then I'll refer to it throughout the week and check things off I accomplished.

- My time is my own outside of these tasks. Once I complete a pink day, if it's only 3pm, I have plenty of time to do whatever tf I want. I don't try to get more done. I don't try to get more ambitious and make the days feel longer. I'll happily do something to passively obtain my goals--watch HEMA videos on youtube, or a show in Japanese... but anything I do ought to be fun.

That's plenty for me, and that's it! What are you goals, motivations, and how do you plan to get there?

StrawberryBoots

Howdy! I'm kicking off the new year online as I usually do offline by keeping it classy and not sharing myself with the masses that don't care to know me.

I'm available to listen and provide motivational support upon request.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I put a door frame pull-up bar in my Amazon cart a couple weeks ago to keep an eye on. On a whim, I decided to go and just purchase it at full cost. I pulled it up on screen, but then got up to make a sandwich for lunch. Afterward, I went back to purchase it, but decided to check the Honey extension I have installed just to see how frequently the pricing changes. I was alerted that the priced had dropped from $80 to $66 as a lightning deal... an entire minute before I had clicked on the Honey icon.

This is a message from the universe that I'm a lazy, poor, fatty couch potato, but that my destiny is to become Lady Hulk.

I just thought you all should know so you could reserve front row seats to my upcoming gun show. Pew pew.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I started 1500 calorie intermittent fasting diet, and quit drinking 100% (I was drinking twice a week before)

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My resolution for this year is a carry-over/ continuation from last year.

I am going to continue focusing on not being complacent when it comes to staying in shape, and though it's unrealistic for me to set weekly goals in terms of runs, walks, or whatnot, I AM setting the goal/intention of doing some sort of stretching, weight-lifting, jumping-jacks, planks, leg lifts, squats, lunges, etc, every day (minus days I'm super sick, ha). This is easy, and I don't have any excuse re not doing this, as all of it can be done in the comfort of my own home.

And though I don't have weekly/monthly objectives, I have the intention of going for runs as often as weather/health permits, but that will realistically never exceed 3 times a week (I don't want to run every day), and in these winter months, may only be once a week max.

That's it!

RadicalDoubt

Alongside Questionable Clarity
MBTI Type
TiSi
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm trying to focus on not going outside of my dietary restrictions!

I had a rough time with that last year after I was told that I am allergic to soy, which happens to be an ingredient found in many of my favorite foods. I typically don't have much of an "appetite" when it comes to desires and lots of self control but... Especially since I am a foody, self control doesn't seem to be coming as easy.

But I'm trying a bit harder now so we'll see if I can keep up the momentum

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus

I had a rough time with that last year after I was told that I am allergic to soy, which happens to be an ingredient found in many of my favorite foods. I typically don't have much of an "appetite" when it comes to desires and lots of self control but... Especially since I am a foody, self control doesn't seem to be coming as easy.

Liquid aminos are a decent replacement for soy sauce if you enjoy Asian foods. Not a flavor match, but very flavorful nonetheless.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been exercising regularly since the holidays have ended. Thankfully my ankle hasn't given me any trouble. So I'm excited to get back into a good routine, and I am thinking of possibly subscribing to some workout video site. I also signed up for in person belly dance lessons which are in February.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram

Jeeze I know that can be tough. Raspberries came into style 2017 and 18 in a major way, and I had to avoid a lot of foods that I normally didn't think twice about as a result.
Luck to you!

I put a door frame pull-up bar in my Amazon cart a couple weeks ago to keep an eye on. On a whim, I decided to go and just purchase it at full cost. I pulled it up on screen, but then got up to make a sandwich for lunch. Afterward, I went back to purchase it, but decided to check the Honey extension I have installed just to see how frequently the pricing changes. I was alerted that the priced had dropped from $80 to $66 as a lightning deal... an entire minute before I had clicked on the Honey icon.

This is a message from the universe that I'm a lazy, poor, fatty couch potato, but that my destiny is to become Lady Hulk.

I just thought you all should know so you could reserve front row seats to my upcoming gun show. Pew pew.

I want a front row seat! :2ar15:

I've been exercising regularly since the holidays have ended. Thankfully my ankle hasn't given me any trouble. So I'm excited to get back into a good routine, and I am thinking of possibly subscribing to some workout video site. I also signed up for in person belly dance lessons which are in February.

I use a lot of online sources if you'd like any recommendations that are pretty inexpensive/free.

Belly dancing is so pretty! It's one of those things I'm too shy to take lessons on but always watch the pretty ladies do it at the ren fests.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Yes, I'd love that! Thank you!

Alright, here's all the ones I use. I use Fitness Blender the most.

Fitness blender
Yoga with Adriene
Fightmaster Yoga
Fitness Marshall
Betty Rocker (This one I can't say I believe in her strict philosophy food-wise, but overall I love her work outs and recipes sometimes.)

These are the ones I use the most. Sometimes it helps to just search for what you want like "lower back stretches" or "10 minute burn out work out" and find new channels that way.

Here's a few cooking channels I like as well for shits and giggles:

YouTube Healthy microwave meals, but I like his channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/BrothersGreenEats Lots of frugal options on this site
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC17vdVOZBVxTSDcldUBBlRg the website is amazing and with more variety too, same name
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa8llPfm3beAYB3zYA_jRKg ditto for this one, website is lovely with most of the recipes I've tried being really on-point, especially the bagel recipe recently and the black bean brownies.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm trying to focus more on breathing style meditation, and sun salutations. Keeping up fast paced walking for distances. Also trying to get back into a healthy diet after xmas and crisis.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am off to a good start. I got out on three runs last week, as the weather was milder; then I went on a run today. Hopefully I'll get another one in later this week but if I don't, it's not a biggie. The main thing is that each day I *have* in fact at least done something indoors, if not multiple things, even if it's just a few sets of reps using some 7 pound weights that I have.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've been pretty good at making sure I workout 5 or so days a week. I did an hour of belly dancing on Sunday and 30 minutes yesterday. :D

TricoFeathers

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so
In 2019 I have committed to weight loss and maintenance. In August of last year I was 186.7 (height 5'5" ish) and started making little changes to my diet to get better. Smaller portions, more water, etc. I was riding my bike to work 5 days a week 6 miles round trip with hills. l started a 30 day jump rope challenge in September at 179 with change. In October I had to get surgery on an ingrown toenail that then kept healing badly.

Despite all that I still managed to drop down to 176.6 January 1st and started a new 4 week challenge by Jump Rope Dudes that blends jump rope and calisthenics. I finish week 1 today and I'm so encouraged by my progress! I was able to get down once to 157 and gained it all back. My end goal is to be at least down in the 140s with number less important than having a lean, healthy body and for exercise to be an every day part of my life. I want to learn more about nutrition and just stay committed to taking better care of myself.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm on the right trajectory. I gained a few during the holidays but last year, I ended up losing around 15 pounds. I'm working out on a regular basis, doing stretching exercises and currently am on a six week medically supervised diet, which I'm hopeful will keep me accountable. I'm going to sleep earlier and really trying to get 7 or 8 hours. I should make good progress over the next couple of months towards a more healthy lifestyle.

TricoFeathers

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
so
Popping in with an update:

Week 1 Day 1: 176.6
Week 2 Day 1: 173.3

Drapeaux

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
1w2
I do rock climbing but I always sort of fall out of it in the winter due to seasonal depression combined with school work. I'm trying to make this winter different.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really like this lady's belly dance workout videos: YouTube

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Ohh, I like this thread!

So at the start of January I decided to try some health changes. I've been having congestion issues and I think they have been related to a food allergy. :c So at the start of January I eliminated dairy and wheat as they were the two main culprits. after considering I realized that sugar is usually paired with either or both of these so why not toss that onto the pile as well.

So far day 27 and I haven't had any of the above. I also started incorporating exercise into my weekly and if I possibly can, daily life. I've been so focused on studying for school that I basically have sat the past year. Yeeeshhh not good.

I would love to lose some weight but the majority of my goal now is creating a good healthy foundation for future achievements. I found a good book and have been following a kind of podcast.

Wed we are doing a cooking class to learn some Indian recipes and I've decided that so long as I keep my portions healthy that it will be ok to give these foods a try. It will also be a good time to see how my congestion is.

Another reason I am getting rid of these foods is because with gluten (bread and pasta esp) and dairy (cheeeeses) I have a hard time stopping to eat way too often. Whereas my meals without these options... it's super easy for me to be like oh I'm fine now. And i immediately stop.