• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Vegetarian protein that is not soya

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a vegetarian and I have been looking for an efficient protein supplement, but so far soya seems to be the only thing, that is rich in protein enough to replace meat. I eat milk products and eggs, but on my surprise none of them contain as much protein as soya does. I know it's not healthy to eat soya all the time though, I need something else to have balanced diet, but I haven't been able to find anything. I think I have protein deficiency and I need to eat more of it, but I can't eat soy products all the time. Any tips?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
What about pea protein or rice protein? I use Beyond Meat products frequently, the chicken products have some soy but the first ingredient is pea protein. I haven't had a bad product from them yet. I should add I'm not a vegetarian or a vegan, I just want less meat/more plant based meals in my diet overall. I also tried a chickpea based pasta called Banza, it's very good.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
mmm... hemp seeds, lentils, seitan, nutritional yeast, oats, quinoa, nuts, amaranth... there are a bunch of sources...

maybe just do a google search for complete proteins...

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Are you against insect protien? I was never sure if vegitarians consider crickets to be meat or not.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
oh yeah, wild rice has a fair amount... the long brown rice has some, but wild rice has more...

people mentioned peas, but yeah... green peas are good for it also...

You can also try making (or buying, if you prefer) things out of plant protein sources like hummus, lemon tahini dressing, nut butters, etc. It's good to get a combo of stuff throughout the day, so your protein content (and other daily nutrients) will add up.

Additionally, you can try an app like Cronometer to see if you're getting enough throughout the day. Good luck.

Forest Nymph

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You have to eat about 20 servings of soy for it to become unhealthy. That's an outrageous amount that surpasses the hungriest traditional Asian.

Tempeh and edamame are variations on tofu.

But if you are opposed to soy for whatever reason, you can always eat nuts - walnuts, cashews, etc and seeds sunflower, flax. One of the reasons that vegans are sometimes healthier than vegetarians is because we get this. You should eat a variety of nuts and seeds, which have various nutritional benefits, not just cheese and eggs as a replacement for meat.

Various beans, lentils, and peas are obviously going to help.

Vital wheat gluten or seitan is a great source of protein if you aren't one of the 1 whole percent of the human population that in reality is allergic to gluten without bullshitting.

Broccoli, spinach and oatmeal might serve you if you are that extremely orthorexic, but yes they have protein!!!!1111

If you think you need more protein than Kendrick Farris, I think you are wrong.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm an omnivore, but I actually think seitan (made from wheat gluten) is really good.

Northern Lights

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I'm an omnivore, but I actually think seitan (made from wheat gluten) is really good.

I love seitan and how chewy it is. I hope I never ever develop a gluten intolerance because gluten is honestly so good. The chewiness of bread or noodles or dumplings is honestly one of the best food textures in the world, I honestly think it outstrips crunchiness by far.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

I agree. I have been eating Benevolent Bacon which is seitan. I make it in a fry pan, exactly like bacon until it's crisp. Makes a good BLT as well. There are so many good products out there - people should try them out even if they have no plans to go vegan or vegetarian.

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Seitan, oats, lentils, pretty much any beans and peas. Not sure about your country but food replacements like Huel is popular with vegetarians and vegans.

rav3n

Mushrooms are a decent source of protein, not enough to fully replace meat as a 1 -1 but a lot more than many other vegetables.

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Mushrooms are a decent source of protein, not enough to fully replace meat as a 1 -1 but a lot more than many other vegetables.

They are also delicious and a surprisingly great source of many important vitamins.

Snow as White

ƃuıǝǝs | seeing
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i love adding hemp protein powder or seeds to smoothies and salads.

beans are also a great source of protein as is the famous quinoa.

I see that you said you're vegetarian - I am not sure if you allow eggs but they are a great and easy way of having protein as well.

badatlife

MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
How about fats? I am struggling with this shift to deal with fat cravings. Avocados and hummus get boring after awhile

considering giving up because it's so hard and i can't eat dairy (i could probably handle hard cheese, but i don't want to risk it while i'm at college)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am a vegan, but never heard that pomegranates have so many benefits. I followed the link and found much useful information for me! I really appreciate it!

The best part is the arils are available in any grocery store ready to eat. I think my doctor told me to keep eating the seed (I guess you can spit that middle portion of the aril out) because it has a lot of fiber. Cranberry pomegranate juice, lime and little sparking water is one of my favorite drinks too.