Thread: Growing hair

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    NF None

Default Growing hair

I have always had my hair slightly below the shoulder length, armpit length during the longer periods, but never longer than that. I've always wanted long hair, but whenever my hair reaches the armpit length it just stops growing and gets really unhealthy, dry, so I always have to cut it.

I wash my hair every second day, because it tends to get oily quite fast. I naturally have very thin and soft hair that is prone to getting oily fast, but I have very dry ends because I dye it. I use a shampoo that is sensitive to skin, because I'm also prone to all sorts of skin allergies and intolerance. I use a conditioner specially designed for dyed and dry hair. Once a week I also use a special hair mask for dry hair or coconut/olive oil for the tips. I also use a special hair oil for the tips after every wash. I apply a serum for hair growth about twice a week.

I haven't been using the serum for long, so the results might just not be visible yet, but I still want to know, if you guys have any tips on growing the hair faster and making it more healthy, when it's naturally really soft and I dye it often?

I had a long hair once, well longer than usual, almost to the mid back length about 4 years ago. I remember my hairdresser gave me a professional keratin treatment that was extremely expensive, but made my hair healthy for the first time in my life, and so it also grew faster. I can't get the treatment again, because it also made my soft hair even softer and it had no volume and looked greesy all the time.
    Developing Te since 2018
    4 integrating to 1
    vegetarian
    zero waste

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    I have always had my hair slightly below the shoulder length, armpit length during the longer periods, but never longer than that. I've always wanted long hair, but whenever my hair reaches the armpit length it just stops growing and gets really unhealthy, dry, so I always have to cut it.

I wash my hair every second day, because it tends to get oily quite fast. I naturally have very thin and soft hair that is prone to getting oily fast, but I have very dry ends because I dye it. I use a shampoo that is sensitive to skin, because I'm also prone to all sorts of skin allergies and intolerance. I use a conditioner specially designed for dyed and dry hair. Once a week I also use a special hair mask for dry hair or coconut/olive oil for the tips. I also use a special hair oil for the tips after every wash. I apply a serum for hair growth about twice a week.

I haven't been using the serum for long, so the results might just not be visible yet, but I still want to know, if you guys have any tips on growing the hair faster and making it more healthy, when it's naturally really soft and I dye it often?

I had a long hair once, well longer than usual, almost to the mid back length about 4 years ago. I remember my hairdresser gave me a professional keratin treatment that was extremely expensive, but made my hair healthy for the first time in my life, and so it also grew faster. I can't get the treatment again, because it also made my soft hair even softer and it had no volume and looked greesy all the time.
    Are you using an at home coloring kit or having it professionally colored?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    NF None

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Are you using an at home coloring kit or having it professionally colored?
    I’ve tried having it professionally coloured, but it just washed out in a month. I use hair products that last much longer than that, but I do it at home by myself. I suspect hairdressers to use colours that wash out sooner, so the costumers would have to come more often. I’ve tried more than one salon and the effect is always very short lasting and far more expensive than the products that last longer and I can use them at home.
    Developing Te since 2018
    4 integrating to 1
    vegetarian
    zero waste

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    I’ve tried having it professionally coloured, but it just washed out in a month. I use hair products that last much longer than that, but I do it at home by myself. I suspect hairdressers to use colours that wash out sooner, so the costumers would have to come more often. I’ve tried more than one salon and the effect is always very short lasting and far more expensive than the products that last longer and I can use them at home.
    Just wondered. I have hair that's on the thinner side and at home color is crap for my hair. Professional colors last at least a couple months - my hair grows fast so I get my roots done and they pull through the color. Then again I don't highlight, I don't bleach or process, the color is very close to my natural color so there isn't much chance for big damage. The only thing I would think would help growth is no color or processing at all.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Five to One liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp

There isn’t much you can do that’s real to your hair when it’s at that stage since hair is dead.

You’re better off taking biotin supplements (they help a ton with hair and nails... at least in my experience). You’re also better off refraining from dying as that is a continuous source of damage that will exacerbate normal wear and tear on hair such as the sun, pollutants, etc.

Any hair products may help in the extreme short term to have your hair feeling better but I don’t think they do much long term being that you can’t really repair it at that point.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    925 sx/sp

Related to the post above, make sure you're eating enough protein.
    ƒ O ᖇ G E ᗪ I ᑎ ƒ I ᖇ E ★
    -: ✦ :-

h n g ⊱ 9✶S✶5✶X✶2 ⊰ g h t
    -: ✦ :-
    ★ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ꜰᴇᴇᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴇʟꜱ★
    Likes Five to One liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx
    Socionics
    NF None

Quote Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
    Related to the post above, make sure you're eating enough protein.
    I'm a vegetarian so protein might be a bit of an issue, though I try to eat enough food rich in protein.
    Developing Te since 2018
    4 integrating to 1
    vegetarian
    zero waste

MBTI
    INtP

Everyone has their own personal genetic markers to how long their hair can grow. There is a certain phase where the hair grows, before it stops, then the hair will eventually release/shed. I'm not sure if there is a way to lengthen the anagen (hair growing) phase of your hair. You could try the above tricks to make the hair more attractive when it's at its maximum length though.
    Likes TricoFeathers liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Do you get it trimmed? I know it seems counter-productive to growing it out but if the ends aren’t healthy they will get dry and brittle and break.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

"These voices scream at me "Let it go!"
    (never let go)
    This time I'm screaming back "No! No! No!"
    (Go on say no)
    My mind's made up, yeah my fear is gone
    Open my eyes now here I come: Oblivion."
    Likes Hermit of the Forest, LittleCat liked this post

One way to increase hair thickness is to increase healthy fats in your diet. Since you're a vegetarian, consume more avocados, chia seeds, whole grains and almonds.

Perhaps you should stop dying your hair for awhile until your hair gains strength.
    Likes SurrealisticSlumbers, LittleCat liked this post