User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Growing hair

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu View Post
    Do you get it trimmed? I know it seems counter-productive to growing it out but if the ends aren’t healthy they will get dry and brittle and break.
    This is true. I mean I never thought it mattered much but mine looks and feels thicker after a trim. I also use Pureology and even though it's expensive, I think it makes a huge difference. Plus a bottle lasts me months.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Hermit of the Forest, Yuu liked this post

My hair is very long. Because you're a vegetarian, I hope you're taking a good quality B vitamin supplement. Other than that, the best trick is to use rice water. It works amazingly well to thicken, strengthen, and help your hair grow. I don't believe these things until I try them, and this is something I use so I'm happy to be able to pass it along. There are many good videos on youtube that explain how to make rice water. I use Jasmine rice, soak it for about 12 hours or more, put the water in a spray bottle. You can add a couple drops of essential oils if you want it to smell nice. Soak your hair with that and leave it on for a couple hours, then rinse it out with plain water. Try that a couple times a week and I really think your hair will grow. Also I will point out that for me at least, trimming my hair slows down the growth. I notice that after I use rice water, dead ends and split ends aren't so much a problem. My hair gets a trim whenever the length starts to annoy me, maybe once or twice a year, but I also don't use heat on my hair, so it really has less trauma to go through.

Can't be satisfied. Peter Deadpan's Avatar

There aren't many substances that have been proven to prevent hair loss or encourage growth, but ketoconazole has shown some promise. It's the active ingredient in anti-dandruff shampoos, and you can find it in some high quality natural products. I'd aim for that, and look for one that is borderline organic, with lots of essential oils for stimulating blood circulation, and moisturizing bases like aloe, jojoba oil, etc. Try to get down to 2 washes a week. You could try dry shampoo in between at the roots, and just wear your hair up those days if you have to. Regular lights trims (every 6-8 weeks, just the ends) will prevent breakage, and always use a protective serum before blow drying and heat styling.

I use Aveda hair products. I'm not sure if they are available to you, but they have a good serum, and 2 types of boosting/plumping sprays. I just started using these and love them. Aveda is also a good option for dyeing because they try to be more gentle/natural. My color still looks great after 8 weeks.
    Perpetual mood

“Sometimes I think I have felt everything I'm ever gonna feel.
    And from here on out, I'm not gonna feel anything new.
    Just lesser versions of what I've already felt.”

- look it up yourself

Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

To echo what Peter Deadpan mentioned and maybe expand a bit on it, there are many types of hair thinning, as well as simply the texture and quality of the hair, that are simply genetic and no amount of diet change or supplements will help to grow it back, or make it thicker, or whatnot. But while in many cases you can't change the nature of it or make it suddenly thicker or growing back if you have male or female pattern baldness (thinning) for example, I think there are definitely lots of things that can either give the illusion of fuller hair, or improve the health of what you already have. People have already mentioned many. And, like people have mentioned, excessive dying isn't going to be healthy for the hair.

I do think it will vary highly by individual, in terms of what your body might be lacking, nutrient-wise, or what you might be intaking that could be harming your body, whether it's hair, skin, or other parts. So anything I say will likely just be anecdotal for me and my own body chemistry. That said -- Aveda products do seem to keep my scalp much healthier (I've learned the scalp is just as or way more important than taking care of the hair itself), and I throw in the Invati products, designed for hair thinning, into my repertoire (I do think it helps my hair, but it's primarily targeting the scalp, which in turns helps the hair). Also, though it's possibly in my imagination, I do feel my hair is a lot healthier and might even be a bit fuller now that I've gone gluten free for almost a year and a half. I had over the years acquired a gluten intolerence and I wouldn't be surprised if it impacted my hair as well -- after all it is an allergic sort of reaction that had become chronic for me. I also probably eat a lot more protein now, and probably higher levels of fats. None of it has impacted my weight; if anything I've lost weight. I say this simply because: Everyone will have their own challenges with food and diet --- it just means what we eat (or equally importantly, what we do NOT intake enough of ) -- will ripple out into the health of everything.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

Yeah, the majority is genetics since genetics can drive the strength and thickness, and also how the body processes the foods consumed. My hair's down to my upper thighs with no split ends or breakage. It's presently growing around an inch a month. You can literally floss with it and yes, I've used it in emergency situations. Maternal and paternal sides have strong, thick hair, resulting in all five kids having even stronger, thicker hair.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I've been taking roughly 1200 to 1600 mg niacinamide in divided doses (100 mg/hour) for mental alertness, and I've noticed that one of the side effects is rapid growth of my mustache; it's growing about 30% faster than usual. Also, some of my white hairs on the side have turned dark at the roots. Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B-3.
    Saw a giant billboard today for the "Picard" movie; at this point, they probably should've just rebooted the entire franchise or not made the film at all. Stewart is getting up there in age.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Socionics
    Duno None

Quote Originally Posted by bechimo View Post
    Yeah, the majority is genetics since genetics can drive the strength and thickness, and also how the body processes the foods consumed. My hair's down to my upper thighs with no split ends or breakage. It's presently growing around an inch a month. You can literally floss with it and yes, I've used it in emergency situations. Maternal and paternal sides have strong, thick hair, resulting in all five kids having even stronger, thicker hair.

i have accidentally cut myself with my hair by getting it wrapped to tightly around my fingers. But never considered flossing with it. I odn't think I could do that to something I love so much.
    “ they’re on our left, they’re on our right, they’re in front of us, they’re behind us…they can’t get away this time”

"These voices scream at me "Let it go!"
    (never let go)
    This time I'm screaming back "No! No! No!"
    (Go on say no)
    My mind's made up, yeah my fear is gone
    Open my eyes now here I come: Oblivion."

Off to new adventures LittleCat's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

If you’re able to, it might not be a bad thing to get your nutrient levels checked. I recently found out I’m quite vitamin D deficient, a common deficiency to have, which effects hair health, along with a host of other things (bone health, energy levels, immunity to sickness, and so on). I’ve been dealing with some hair loss, so found the results to be useful.

Additionally, I agree with the others about being careful about the hair dying, although I absolutely get the appeal. Colorful hair is so much more fun!
    Likes Yuu, Five to One liked this post

Socionics
    NF None

Quote Originally Posted by LittleCat View Post
    If you’re able to, it might not be a bad thing to get your nutrient levels checked. I recently found out I’m quite vitamin D deficient, a common deficiency to have, which effects hair health, along with a host of other things (bone health, energy levels, immunity to sickness, and so on). I’ve been dealing with some hair loss, so found the results to be useful.

Additionally, I agree with the others about being careful about the hair dying, although I absolutely get the appeal. Colorful hair is so much more fun!
    I do have vitamin D deficiency and I take vitamins for it, so it should be getting better. I've had awful hair ever since I remember though, even as a little kid and throughout my whole life, so I think it's more genetic than nutrition thing.
    Likes LittleCat liked this post

You need to recover your hair first. One can use argan oil for that purpose. It will help to make your hair softer but also will give it strength. As it was mentioned before, split ends should be cut for better hair growth. If you are planning to dye your hair in future, it's better to use natural remedies. The important thing is not to overheat your hair with a blowdryer or flat iron - it can damage the structure of your hair badly. My advice is to choose a blowdryer which has a good heating temperature regulator and will be compatible with your hair type (here are some mystraightener reviews). Don't forget to moisurise your hair after using a dryer. If there is no argan oil one can use coconut oil for that purpose.