• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Breathing -> Cosmic Orgasms

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
'You’ve had what we call a cosmic orgasm': the rise of conscious breathing | Life and style | The Guardian

She tells a respiratory version of The Fall; humans used to breathe correctly. When a three-year-old breathes, their tummy goes in and out. Same with animals. But at a certain point we started breathing “vertically”. That’s how we’re designed to breathe when we face genuinely stressful situations – but not, say, when our phone pings 150 times a day. The way she describes it, we have been hit by a “perfect storm”; not only are we much more sedentary, we’re also constantly responding to digital technology, a respiratory disaster. “When you’re looking at these screens, your breathing changes. You’re like an animal in stalking mode. And, if you notice, you’re spending all day taking incredibly small breaths. The only time you’re really breathing is when you take a big, expansive sigh.” Breathing properly, she maintains, is the single most important intervention you can make for your own health. Cheap, too.

Breathing is automatic and not automatic at the same time. Respiratory function is controlled in the brain stem, the part of the brain that controls the basic things that keep us alive, like a heartbeat. You still breathe when you’re unconscious, asleep or anaesthetised. But, in some ways, it’s closer to somatic functions (such as walking) than autonomic, involuntary functions (such as sweating). You don’t have to think about each step you take, you just head somewhere. Your brain automatically adjusts your steps, just as your brain will occasionally insert a sigh when it needs more oxygen. But you can also decide to hold your breath, hyperventilate or, as the more out-there breathwork practitioners promise, use your breath “to journey between the conscious and unconscious mind”.

I later discovered that his teachings are a loosely modified version of Wim Hof’s patented Method (known as WHM), which has gained a cult following among bodybuilders, athletes and celebrities, including Oprah Winfrey and Orlando Bloom. Hof is also known as the Ice Man, which comes from his penchant for encasing himself in ice, swimming under bits of the Arctic and climbing up mountains in shorts. (He made it up Kilimanjaro, but didn’t quite manage Everest.) He holds 26 world records for withstanding extreme temperatures, partly thanks to his breathing technique, and runs retreats in Holland, Poland and Spain; he also sells online courses, while giving away the basics free in his app.

“The autonomic nervous system! The endocrine system! The lymphatic system! The immune system! The vascular system!” he declaims when I Skype him in Holland. “According to science, humans couldn’t actively influence any of these. But we have shown that you can tap into them.” Just by breathing? “Yes! That’s why we made a T-shirt that says: ‘BREATHE MOTHERFUCKER!’” He bursts out laughing. “It’s so good, because it’s so simple!”

His thesis is that modern humans live in a comfort zone that’s slowly killing us (and also making us fat: you burn many more calories in the cold). Our ancestors used to be fine mooching around the tundra in loincloths. But as humans have learned to control our environments – with central heating, insulation, coats and so on – we are losing our ability to respond to nature.

And there is some evidence that he may be on to something. The American author Scott Carney set out to debunk Hof’s methods for his 2017 book What Doesn’t Kill Us, but ended up broadly convinced. The most credible evidence came in 2014, when a team of researchers at Radboud University in Nijmegen in the Netherlands studied 12 subjects who had followed the Wim Hof Method and found they had an increased ability to resist infection and fight inflammation. The researchers concluded that this had “important implications” for the treatment of diseases that involve excessive inflammation, especially autoimmune diseases

More at the link, of course.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few years ago, a ENTJ friend, grounded as can be but follower of Tony Robbins, told me that at one of the very expensive seminars that he attended, Robbins spent a long time on breathing. He taught them that breathing was the "Gift of Life" and that by developing improved breathing techniques, it would help everything. The lessons (that I got second hand) sound similar to what is in this article.

He taught them to breathe deeply in for 16 seconds, hold it for 32 seconds, and then exhale for 8 seconds. I don't know if the numbers matter, much, if any.

I try to do some deep breathing every day.....seems to help.

Lark

A few years ago, a ENTJ friend, grounded as can be but follower of Tony Robbins, told me that at one of the very expensive seminars that he attended, Robbins spent a long time on breathing. He taught them that breathing was the "Gift of Life" and that by developing improved breathing techniques, it would help everything. The lessons (that I got second hand) sound similar to what is in this article.

He taught them to breathe deeply in for 16 seconds, hold it for 32 seconds, and then exhale for 8 seconds. I don't know if the numbers matter, much, if any.

I try to do some deep breathing every day.....seems to help.

Its maybe just me, I'm more skeptical than most of the likes of Tony Robbins, but I kind of dislike people making million dollar careers out of telling others how important breathing is.

For me its got The Emperors New Clothes all over it.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Its maybe just me, I'm more skeptical than most of the likes of Tony Robbins, but I kind of dislike people making million dollar careers out of telling others how important breathing is.

For me its got The Emperors New Clothes all over it.

Tony seems pretty much a false prophet selling fools gold, but he also takes information from all over and distills it for those seeking enlightenment.

I.E., don't knock the messenger before considering the message. The utility of the message outweighs the quality of the source, sometimes

Chad of the OttomanEmpire

Give me a fourth dot.
MBTI Type
NeTi
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, I am not surprised by anything in the article.

I remember getting ahold of my grandmother's 1970s yoga book in high school, and the author was making identical claims as to the value of "breathing deep". Some years prior to this, my flute instructor taught us all how to breathe from the diaphragm with a long lecture about how this was superior breathing. It's been part of my world view since then.

I've also started with Taoist and Tantric practices this February, and a significant component is about controlling your body and sexuality by taking different kinds of breaths. I've had good results, if you'd like to know--there are breathing exercises for being more alert, for relaxing, for dredging up subconscious emotions, for warming yourself up, for building up sex drive, you name it. I can attest to all of them.

It's kind of like some of the more mind-bending rules of quantum physics--it sounds like such a bunch of woo-woo bullshit...BUT IT'S NOT.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Buddhist monks are masters of right breathing. I remember reading of a monk in Nepal who sits in a cave meditating all day. He needs hardly any sleep or food.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One time I was really stressed so I did 15 minutes of deep breathing meditation and I didn't crave nicotine for hours.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
When I see the phrase cosmic orgasms, I think of a dildo made of meteoric iron.

(Hey, don't look at me like that. I'm not the one who created a thread with the phrase "cosmic orgasms" in it.)