• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Helpful Hints for Nausea/IBS

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello all... Here are my tips for curbing nausea. :sick: I hope they work for you.

1. Put a few drops of peppermint oil in ice water and drink it (alternately, make some peppermint tea)
2. Go for a walk
3. Slowly chew on some pickled ginger root
4. Smoke some herb
5. Listen to some meditation tracks or ambient music (like this one)
6. Deep breathing
7. Heat some water, soak a small towel or washcloth in it, and use it as a hot compress on your abdominal region
8. If you can, turn the AC up or turn on a small fan to cool down

If you have some tried-and-true tips for dealing with stomach aches and digestive woes, post 'em below!

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Fresh air.

It's pretty crazy but true. I take medication that makes me sick AF-it's been compared to chemo sickness or a hang over-none of the tried and true methods help, not even "Some herb" does a thing but opening a window and getting some fresh COOL air almost immediately improves the nausea.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just eat ginger.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
7. Heat some water, soak a small towel or washcloth in it, and use it as a hot compress on your abdominal region

Hot water bottle or electric heating pad.

I have trouble sleeping on a full stomach. So when I'm occasionally passing out from exhaustion after a big meal, I strap an electric heating pad to my stomach with a cloth belt, set it on high, and then I can sleep like a charm. With the extra heat, apparently my stomach digests great even in my sleep.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know if other people have done it, but I drink lemon juice water to help my stomach after a hangover with terrible nausea. I wouldn't say it cures it, but takes away the feeling of it. Then if you throw up, it doesn't taste terrible. xD

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hot water bottle or electric heating pad.

I have trouble sleeping on a full stomach. So when I'm occasionally passing out from exhaustion after a big meal, I strap an electric heating pad to my stomach with a cloth belt, set it on high, and then I can sleep like a charm. With the extra heat, apparently my stomach digests great even in my sleep.

Be careful with that. Earlier this year, my grandmother fell asleep with a heating pad; it heated her bra clasp and left a burn. Also there might be a cancer risk with those things.

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
Be careful with that. Earlier this year, my grandmother fell asleep with a sleeping pad; it heated her bra clasp and left a burn. Also there might be a cancer risk with those things.

As for the cancer risk: They've been studying the cancer risk of heating pads and electric blankets for decades and still haven't found any connection. So I use both. But if anyone else is worried, use a hot water bottle.

I'll grant the danger of burns from metal parts. I mentioned that I strap the heating pad to my stomach using a web belt. The web belt has a metal belt buckle, and when that buckle is in contact with the heating pad it gets almost too hot to touch. The pad itself doesn't seem overly hot, but somehow the metal of the buckle really soaks up the heat. It's worth cautioning anyone playing with such things for the first time.

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Peppermint Altoids. I care them around on me all the time (I'm emetophobic) and I've found they help soothe an upset stomach.

In regards to nausea, any women have insight on severe menstrual cramps? I've tried using a heating pad, but it doesn't work unless I have a really boiling hot one that ends up burning me. And I never eat dairy, which I have found to be a major trigger for it in the past. I've been able to keep it in check over the past few years, but recently it's been terrible again and occurring almost monthly since the beginning of the year. I can take several anti-inflammatories only to still end up throwing up from the pain. Any advice appreciated.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In regards to nausea, any women have insight on severe menstrual cramps? I've tried using a heating pad, but it doesn't work unless I have a really boiling hot one that ends up burning me. And I never eat dairy, which I have found to be a major trigger for it in the past. I've been able to keep it in check over the past few years, but recently it's been terrible again and occurring almost monthly since the beginning of the year. I can take several anti-inflammatories only to still end up throwing up from the pain. Any advice appreciated.

Have you tried dark chocolate or coffee?

SurrealisticSlumbers

📠girl in an 🎠world
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Wow, that sucks. Have you talked to your doctor about it? I thought my cramps were bad - sounds like you've got a really rough time of it, if you're actually getting sick from the pain. Might be worth checking in with your doctor or gynecologist to see if there might be something else going on, like endometriosis. All the ginger and soothing tea in the world won't do an ounce of good if the issue is a larger one, but the good thing is that it's highly treatable (if it's endometriosis).

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's awful :( . Mostly when I was younger, my migraines would get so bad that I would vomit. It is such a terrible experience.

I would definitely talk to a doctor about it. Sometimes birth control pills can really help with bad cramps. The doctor could also give you advice on how to best manage the cramps as well. It helps if you also speak to a gynecologist since their specialty lines up with this concern. If you don't know of one, any other doctor you might see (I.e. a family doctor) can probably refer you to one.

Have you tried dark chocolate or coffee?

I've had dark chocolate during it, but it doesn't do anything. I don't drink coffee, but I've had various teas like chamomile, which help ease the pain a little after throwing up.

Wow, that sucks. Have you talked to your doctor about it? I thought my cramps were bad - sounds like you've got a really rough time of it, if you're actually getting sick from the pain. Might be worth checking in with your doctor or gynecologist to see if there might be something else going on, like endometriosis. All the ginger and soothing tea in the world won't do an ounce of good if the issue is a larger one, but the good thing is that it's highly treatable (if it's endometriosis).

I've talked to my primary care physician and gyno about endometriosis and PCOS being possible causes. I tested for endo as a teenager and it came out negative, but I don't think I've ever had an ultrasound. From what I've heard, it's very difficult to get a diagnosis for either. I have some of the symptoms of PCOS, though my doctor said she wouldn't know for sure until I ever try having children. It's just something I've learned to prepare beforehand. I think I'll try taking anti-inflammatories a few days before it begins like I did years ago to prevent the pain from building up, though I'm worried about damaging my kidneys over time from excessive usage.

That's awful :( . Mostly when I was younger, my migraines would get so bad that I would vomit. It is such a terrible experience.

I would definitely talk to a doctor about it. Sometimes birth control pills can really help with bad cramps. The doctor could also give you advice on how to best manage the cramps as well. It helps if you also speak to a gynecologist since their specialty lines up with this concern. If you don't know of one, any other doctor you might see (I.e. a family doctor) can probably refer you to one.

I took birth control as a teenager. I can't remember how it was back then, but I remember stopping it after my mother almost died from a blood clot in her leg. Blood clots run in my family line, so I stopped taking it for that reason. I'll probably see a doctor sometime if it continues to persist as it has been. It does frustrate me because I pay money to see them only to never get any answers in return, even after switching millions of times. Oh well, it's something I've learned to live with.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've had dark chocolate during it, but it doesn't do anything. I don't drink coffee, but I've had various teas like chamomile, which help ease the pain a little after throwing up.

If you do not mind me asking. Can you tell me your diet? Cramps can also be the result of mineral deficiency. You need magnesium, potassium etc to prevent them to begin with. Perhaps take some suppliments?

If you do not mind me asking. Can you tell me your diet? Cramps can also be the result of mineral deficiency. You need magnesium, potassium etc to prevent them to begin with. Perhaps take some suppliments?

I eat a vegan diet, aiming for whole foods while taking a daily multi-vitamin everyday. My blood tests have always been fine. However, it's possible that I'm not getting enough as I think. I'll look into eating more foods with those minerals or possible supplementation and see what happens.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I eat a vegan diet, aiming for whole foods while taking a daily multi-vitamin everyday. My blood tests have always been fine. However, it's possible that I'm not getting enough as I think. I'll look into eating more foods with those minerals or possible supplementation and see what happens.

Okay! Best of luck. I think nuts have these in large. I was also going to mention that not everyone can absorb minerals from suppliments really well. Especially things like iron. I googled some top magnesium rich foods for you.

7a4d63b87103ced629750516b95378a0-magnesium-foods-benefits-of-magnesium.jpg

Being vegan is tough!