• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Gaining weight

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
From "The Obesity Code":

In a fascinating 1993 study, high-dose insulin allowed virtual normalization of blood sugars in a group of type 2 diabetic patients. Starting from zero, the dose was increased to an average of 100 units per day over a period of six months. At the same time, patients decreased their caloric intake by more than 300 calories per day.

The patients' blood sugar levels were great. But what happened to their weight? It increased by an average of 19 pounds (8.7 kilograms)! Despite eating less than ever, patients gained weight like crazy. It wasn't calories that drove their weight gain. It was insulin.

The book also mentions weight gain by people with insulinomas. These are tumors that secrete insulin. In one woman, the weight gain was 25 pounds over a year.

A recent study suggests that 75% of the weight-loss response in obesity is predicted by insulin levels. Not willpower. Not caloric intake. Not peer support or peer pressure. Not exercise. Just insulin.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I admit that I've been probably too concerned about my weight... It's been years like this, so I consider it to be normal and it's not easy to change. Nevertheless, the fact is, that I've gained. It's not a horrible amount of weight. It's exactly 7 pounds, but it doesn't fluctuate and I haven't been able to lose it, even when I eat small amounts of food or fast since 4 p.m. It seems like this kind of diet can only help me maintain my weight and whenever I eat bigger fuller meals or a dinner, I gain.

I've been restricting and obsessing over my weight for past... oh well a lot of years so the chances are that I've just fucked up metabolism.

Anyway I'm on my highest weight since high school and I feel really uncomfortable about it. I haven't changed my eating habits, I haven't changed my exercise habits (well I don't have any, but I try to move more if anything) and it doesn't make much sense for me to gain...

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I admit that I've been probably too concerned about my weight... It's been years like this, so I consider it to be normal and it's not easy to change. Nevertheless, the fact is, that I've gained. It's not a horrible amount of weight. It's exactly 7 pounds, but it doesn't fluctuate and I haven't been able to lose it, even when I eat small amounts of food or fast since 4 p.m. It seems like this kind of diet can only help me maintain my weight and whenever I eat bigger fuller meals or a dinner, I gain.

I've been restricting and obsessing over my weight for past... oh well a lot of years so the chances are that I've just fucked up metabolism.

Anyway I'm on my highest weight since high school and I feel really uncomfortable about it. I haven't changed my eating habits, I haven't changed my exercise habits (well I don't have any, but I try to move more if anything) and it doesn't make much sense for me to gain...

I can understand being really uncomfortable about a 7 pound weight gain, if you're used to consistently being 7 pounds less and staying stable and then suddenly you're 7 pounds more.

I don't know enough about the metabolism element and whether it could be 'simply' just starting to grow older and so your metabolism is beginning to slow, but I 100% agree with others that it would be best to just go to a doctor and run some of those tests to ensure there isn't a medical reason for it. Also ofc your doctor should be able to propose other reasons for why it might be happening.

Re metabolism and your diet and maybe you having fucked up your metabolism... again I don't know... but anecdotally I can share that for several years in my early 20's I was eating in a similar way -- I had gotten it into my head that I needed to avoid fat -- and so while I never really watched calories, I took out probably almost all of the fat in my diet, and did that for I'd say a solid 3 years or so at least? But anyway for me I got too thin and so I just did a 180 and started eating fats again. All of this is to say --- your diet maybe hasn't permanently messed up your metabolism and things can always be shifted. (and fwiw I didn't just gain a ton of weight, my metabolism wasn't permanently messed up, I just got back to a healthy weight, about 5 pounds heavier, and haven't had any self-imposed restrictions for like 15 years now... well except now I have to do gluten free haha)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
check your thyroid. Get a second doctor's opinion. Some are sexist and will just tell you to eat less.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd also say get your hormones checked, and also get a check to see if you have any deficiencies (it's more likely if you're on a vego diet, and can affect your metabolism). If you've been doing the same thing for the last few years and maintaining and suddenly start putting on weight, it's likely that something inside your body has changed. That's the first thing.

The second thing is that it does sound like your relationship with food and your body does not sound very healthy. I'm deeply concerned. I wouldn't presume to address you directly about it, but have written extensively about these topics before and can send you a link if you're interested.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Aging process, stress, sleep issues, dehydration, food sensitivities/allergies, hormonal changes, and nutritional deficiencies can all affect weight fluctuation.